Christian Dior HC F/W 08.09 Paris

Everything is just Amazing! Very elegant,feminine and sexy.

My fav HC show in this season.:heart:

John revived Mr. Dior's designing spirit perfectly.

He is genius!

and what's more desirable to a woman than to look like a princess.
To look like a strong, independent, powerful and mature woman? To look like a carefree woman not entombed in miles of fussy tulle? To not look like someone who would have a row of dolls by her bed? I don't know many women pass the age of twelve would want to look like a pastel Disney princess. Okay, maybe quite a lot, enough for Disney's wedding line to be profitable. I don't object to looking like a princess, and a person wearing Dior Fall 2009 Couture will do just that, look like a princess. There will be no danger of people taking the wearer for an actual princess.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I think that the menssage is "dress like a princess" and it means: Do it in your way, in the most coquetish way that you can, after all encourage your feminin side to the extreme is a natural state of woman..., and I think you dont need more to win the world. What a sweet gift my dear TFS ladies..., keep dreaming and exploring your inner soul this season with so fabulous shows.

To look like a strong, independent, powerful and mature woman? To look like a carefree woman not entombed in miles of fussy tulle? To not look like someone who would have a row of dolls by her bed? I don't know many women pass the age of twelve would want to look like a pastel Disney princess. Okay, maybe quite a lot, enough for Disney's wedding line to be profitable. I don't object to looking like a princess, and a person wearing Dior Fall 2009 Couture will do just that, look like a princess. There will be no danger of people taking the wearer for an actual princess.

never underestimate the inner girl/princess :lol:

i read so many people complaining about Galliano's extravagance in design and make up...well if you want a simpler experience find another designer. Galliano believes in magic more then design...he is more of a fine artist rather then a designer. This is Couture not design 101

I'm sooooo late on this but that finale was on of the most painfull things ive seen in a while! I was hoping that Georgina would not fall or topple over. I watched it trying to see what the issue was I think she was walking to the sides to much maybe idk...all i know is that was a slow 50secs! ;p

^ The dress was so gorgeous but hard to manage, or maybe it was the shoes and dress combination for her. But still! Her pose at the end was so fierce and BAM, that it cleaned up her mistakes and at the end, she closed the show wonderfully.

i read so many people complaining about Galliano's extravagance in design and make up...well if you want a simpler experience find another designer. Galliano believes in magic more then design...he is more of a fine artist rather then a designer. This is Couture not design 101

Totally! Galliano is all about theatrics and magic. He brings it to every show whether for his own line or Dior. It's why I love him so much. :blush:

Right! that did clean it up at the end I was like " good for you"

Oh my God! FTV is just showing Dior HC

I can't believe it. They're showing Dior' HC. They haven't done Dior in a while. It was only a few minutes long but it's better than nothing. It's a shame the Abu Dhabi channel is no longer Lamasat which was a weekly fashion programme. They used to show most couture shows in their entirety.

his last few collections have really let me down .. but this one more then makes up for it .. i cant stop looking and relooking at these dresses they are beyond beautiful .. wow just wow !!! :heart: :wub:

how do you call it when a collections doesnt grow on you, but exactly the opposite? i had the feeling this was so new, and fresh, and different from what he has been showing for the last couple of years (the tacky profussion of monochrome looks that have composed incredible palettes of embroidered rainbowy collections with over the top volumes)... but after looking closer to it... it doesnt seem so different. he is clearly over with his fucsia satin era, but it's still not FW06, SS06, when dare i say, his talent last showed.
ever since, it all been about impressive construction and ugly fabrics... this is an improvement, but i want more (we deserve a little more)

how do you call it when a collections doesnt grow on you, but exactly the opposite? i had the feeling this was so new, and fresh, and different from what he has been showing for the last couple of years (the tacky profussion of monochrome looks that have composed incredible palettes of embroidered rainbowy collections with over the top volumes)... but after looking closer to it... it doesnt seem so different. he is clearly over with his fucsia satin era, but it's still not FW06, SS06, when dare i say, his talent last showed.
ever since, it all been about impressive construction and ugly fabrics... this is an improvement, but i want more (we deserve a little more)

:lol:Well thanks, I was just making my way to this thread to make the same remarks. You saved me time and energy and said exactly what I was think...

^That seems to happen so often in fashion. I'm kind of in the same frame of mind about this. I mean, it was still my favorite collection (which isn't saying much as most of them were a disappointment) but in the week since it was shown the thrill has worn off.

I also think it's to do with how the show progressed. That opening look did exactly what an opening look should do, it causes that little jolt of excitement and energy. Then it progresses through that black, white and grey passage that even though it's nothing new is very gorgeous. But then it goes into the pastel dance dresses and loses quite a bit of steam. They aren't new, nor are they exceptionally beautiful. The gowns are sort of the same; beautiful, feminine, truly couture looking but ultimately predictable (with the exception of the last black gown with the fins :heart:)

I feel like the collection weakens as it progresses instead of keeping the momentum, or better yet, building upon it.

I was also thinking about Dior lately in relation to how it was when John first started. It was very much a recipe, taking silhouettes and inspirations from the past and reworking them with such finesse that it made contemporary women want to wear a corset. Very decadent and seductive, over the top glamour taking a lot of inspiration from history's most beautiful and extravagant people. Then it came to a point with the f/w 98 HC collection when people had had enough and realized that nothing truly new was going on. Fast forward to 1999/2000 when John showed the Matrix and tramps collections with their raw madness and creativity, lots of energy and controversy. That era was all very contemporary, taking a lot of inspiration from the street and you'll notice that those couture collections contained many more separates than ballgowns. Then about 02/03 his shows changed again and became these monolithic mega shows with huge clothes, hair, makeup, shoes, theatrics, hats....think of the Egyptian and Chinese collections especially. Those shows were very much about new ideas and pushing fashion forward. And then in 2005 with the 100th anniversary collection you can see where he'd go next, back into the Dior archives. I'd say since s/s 07 HC that's where he's stayed, very "couture", very much about Dior of the past. Matching shoes, makeup, bags, gloves, nails....

Even the few not so historic collections that punctuate the memorable stuff seem to be part of the pattern. S/S 99, S/S 05, and F/W 06 weren't his most creative, nor his most drop dead gorgeous collections, but they served as place holders until he made the next step.

So really, this recent obsession with the history of Dior could just be looked at as another chapter that John's writing. Hopefully the chapter will end soon.

^^Lots of interesting points. I would agree with your sentiment that I hope this chapter ends soon. I just have a hard time understanding what's really going on in John's head right now. He's done the New Look hundreds of times, but it has always felt...I don't know, just as new as it was in 1947. However, since about HC SS 07, the New Look has slowly started to look older and older and more and more dated. I honestly don't think it's the actual idea of the New Look (I doubt it will ever really go out of style) but it's the way John has been interpreting it. He used to take the New Look as a starting point - my favorite example would be his connection found between the New Look and traditional Peruvian costumes...it was so incredible. Recently, I feel like John is just taking what M. Dior himself has already done and just re-does it either in technicolor satins or soft pastels...no real creativity involved.

I would disagree with you on one thing, though...SS 05 Haute Couture was possibly one of his most innovative couture collections, if you ask me. It was incredibly low key, yet no less dramatic. It was the perfect combination of youth and historicism. I mean, taking a Rembrandt or Vermeer blood-red velvet coat and then staining it with bleach? Just the description makes me weak in the knees! The absolute definition of 'modern couture'! I wish he would return to a collection more like HC SS 05... something that still satisfies his penchant for history yet also creates something very new at the same time.

Anyway, I just wish John would stop catering to the ladies who lunch crowd...I mean, sure they're the ones with the cash, but...it's just not his style.

If I were Carla Sarkozy, I would turn down everything in this collection and I'd be asking for some of John's vintage Dior Couture!:heart:

Oh I agree about s/s 05. It was a beautiful collection (not to mention it completely redirected mainstream fashion for the next few years and in some ways it's influence has yet to end) but I included it more because it didn't fit neatly into one of his "chapters". It was more of a transitional move.

If I look back in a truly unbiased way, which is hard since I love his work, the last time he did something truly innovative and new was probably s/s 03 HC. Since then his couture, while undeniably beautiful, creative and memorable, hasn't been revolutionary and I miss that. That shocking first glimpse of something so strange and radical that people either love it or hate it....Even his rtw garnered that kind of strong reaction.

I'm kind of sick of this in between place where you're just left to admire the beauty and work that goes into the clothes.

I'm starting to think people (myself included) just hold him to a ridiculously high standard.

If I look back in a truly unbiased way, which is hard since I love his work, the last time he did something truly innovative and new was probably s/s 03 HC. Since then his couture, while undeniably beautiful, creative and memorable, hasn't been revolutionary and I miss that. That shocking first glimpse of something so strange and radical that people either love it or hate it....Even his rtw garnered that kind of strong reaction.
I totally agree. I miss it so much. I miss that excitement that just oozed from every stitch...I guess, most of all, I just miss that emotional reaction that I still get from his older collections. I mean, my excitement for this collection has already faded, while my excitement for his older collections are still...through the roof! I still get the shivers and that almost-out-of-breath excitement from watching videos and even looking at pictures of his past HC and RTW shows.

...speaking of which, I'd kill for the video of HC SS 03....:innocent:

I love almost everything in this collection. :heart:

I 100% agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darvesh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->