Christian Dior HC F/W 12.13 Paris

People was crazy about Raf working with Dior, and now all those "this is not Dior", "that's not couture"... Seems like it's much easier to bring Christian Dior himself to life than found someone who'd satisfy the tastes of audience.

Just so we are clear: Haute Couture does not need to be theatric to be couture. Haute Couture is french for "high couture", and it's used to indicate that the clothes were hand-made by a small atelier of designers in France. Anything can be haute couture, as long as it's handmade by an atelier. It does not mean "poofy crazy gowns".

I'm not terribly excited by this collection - I'm not that excited by the cuts - but I think it's excellent for Raf's first outing. He's clearly showing his vision for the house here - what more can you expect from a designer? I'll take this over Bill Gaytten's debut any day of the week.

Seems like it's much easier to bring Christian Dior himself to life than found someone who'd satisfy the tastes of audience.

People would say it's absolutely dated and not fitting for modern times. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
But it is about hundreds of hours of work in the studio, which I'm not seeing. If it's about tailoring, okay, but it's not like we haven't seen ready-to-wear tailored at this level. I know my fashion history, tyvm, and this collection still seems quite ready-to-wear to me.

I could tell that it's not R-T-W, as each piece appears to use non-standard tailoring, this is not those "Oscar de la Renta" big skirts. It doesn't look like the typical pannier either, Raf Simons might have invented his own model, this is my guess though. Needs to be investigated up-close. The innards of the garment is as important as the exterior shell.

Haute couture is also about the fit when customized for the client, and the way these pieces were fitted onto the models...wow...it shows what the atelier is capable of.

However, I dislike this look, even though I could appreciate the couture-level skills and work devoted to it.

Since he's shown how accomplished he is at sculpting shapes a la Monsieur himself, I wish he'd evolve more daringly and not feel too trapped in Dior's heritage which can be suffocating like a corset.

Very 'new look' era Dior. However, I felt that there was a certain spark missing, kind of lackluster.

That's ture.
"Haute couture" was actually a great part daily or even casual wear for classy ladies. And Dior in the 50's was very "plein" in the daywear department.

Why not learn something about the brand history or DNA before yelling at a collection..

Your last sentence summed up nicely the majority outcry dislike for the collection!

Oh My God. Stunning, mesmerizing. Ah Raf, this is what I wanted and you did not disappointed me, you never do... Can't wait to see this in motion and HQ with the proper details. Oh my, this is Dior!

Half Jil Sander RTW + half Dior Couture. Whatever, I'm looking forward to a brand new Dior-Raf's era.

This is just like the hating for Sarah at McQueen. Everyone says "this is not like the McQueen/Dior"... but no one really knows what McQueen or Dior were all about. Their history.
Dior is not Galliano. Dior is Dior.
My favourite looks so far are the jackets and the torso tight dresses. My only dislikes are for the shoes and the colour palette. I hate yellow and pink. But then again, personal taste.

I think you are all over judging Simons' work. It's his first COUTURE collection ever! I'm dying to see what he does next. This collection may be a tad dull, but there are a lot of wonderful ideas here, we can't crucify him just yet.

In the end, what most have come to identified with and loved about Dior isn't really Dior, but Galliano's boheme morphed into the Dior silhouette. Raf Simons went back to the core of Dior itself, that old-world elegance which would have been worn by royals like Kate Middleton, while he was expected to pick up where Galliano left. Perhaps he should have paid hommage to Galliano...

i don't think you can tell it's HC or not just by looking at it, you have to touch it, the details, see the process behind it.

well i guess so, i don't have the....competency to judge the collection, dior that i know is only by galliano, idk about their archive (like ysl's works)

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's that particular shade of pink and the bustier shapes that makes me think of his last collection for Jil Sander, nothing more. I don't know much either about Jil Sander before Raf nor vintage Dior, but the earlier dresses has a Dior-esque vibe enough for me. Sadly I don't think this collection is strong enough to stand out on its own, it's still like Gaytten's designs, we have to remind ourselves that this is "bringing the old Dior touches back" to make ourselves okay with it.

Anyway I'm no pro and those are just my personal opinion.

+ I really don't like the tye-dye-ish print. I'm surprised no one has mentioned their dislike to those prints until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->