Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting]

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by tFS Thread Manager, Jun 22, 2018.

1. perfect blue

perfect blue Active Member

I agree with this

2. russianelf

russianelf Well-Known Member

Justice for the noose hoodie!

3. lucy92

lucy92 Administrator

The March issue of Instyle has an interview with Iman on her boycott of Celine for racism. read here

“I remember at that time, the most coveted bag was from Céline,” she says. “Every girl, black, white, Asian, you name it, they wanted that bag. I’ve never owned one for the simple reason they didn’t use any black girls. They were saying it was for aesthetic reasons, like, velvet is out this season. They didn’t even know what they were saying.”

4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

She certainly knows how to pick her battles. She's dragging Phoebe's Céline, but rubs shoulders with Donna 'Death Eater' Karan? I find it very suspect that she's bringing this up now. Also, what's the point of mentioning the fact that Naomi booked her first beauty campaign in decades. Why must it be so important for Naomi to book a beauty campaign? Some models just aren't suited to them. It also took Gisele decades before she booked her first beauty gig. And besides, does Liya and Joan for EL, or Kiara for L'oreal, or Kersti Bowser/Halle Berry for Revlon and countless others, do they not count. This is what annoys me sometimes when people speak on diversity or the lack thereof. Most of the times they haven't checked their facts.

Iman should just do all of us a favour and continue with her needlepoint. This is after all the same woman who said Michelle Obama is 'no great beauty', which is, of course, subjective (I disagree with her, btw), but for someone who models herself after a moral compass, it's a tacky thing to say.

5. lucy92

lucy92 Administrator

In Model: The Ugly Business Of Beautiful Women by Michael Gross the author discusses how Naomi would only contractually agree to be in a runway show if other models of color were excluded.

I have never understood why models of color support Naomi.

Benn98 likes this.
  6. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Can you post the page of the book? I’m interested in reading the part

7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Tyra also brought this up in an old interview with her. And even though she verbally denied it, her body language exposed her.

Apparently, Christy used to tell designers if they cancelled Naomi, they wouldn't have her either. Now I know in Naomi's early years it would have been impossible for her to do the same for another model of colour, but she enjoyed a near 20-year stretch of success, and I don't recall her ever championing for any other model of colour. She's only looking out for number 1. That's why I don't buy into her brand of social activism. All those years when she was the only black face to appear on international Vogues, she didn't bother to say, 'let's get more women of colour on covers', because she knew that would mean less work for her. Same applies to Iman. The latter's activism only started once she retired from the industry. So now when the phone is no longer ringing they want to scream ' the injustice'!

dior_couture1245 likes this.
  8. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Does this refer to a specific designer, i.e. Versace? Because I can instantly think of many shows from the 90s and 00s where she definitely wasn't the only model of color, like Givenchy by Alexander McQueen, Chanel, Dior.. even designers like Zac Posen had several models of color in the same shows as her.

DivineStyle likes this.
  9. dodencebt

This is the only part about it I found in the book. Not sure where it says she "would only contractually agree to be in a runway show if other models of color were excluded".

10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Here's the video where Tyra confronted her head-on. Tyra does come across as a bit whiny, and keeps going on and on, but I believe her.

11. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Well-Known Member

LOL of course Naomi would deny it, but you know she clawed her way to the top one way or another, even if it was at the expense of other colored models. And back then, the issue wasn't necessarily a no-black model issue, cause there were other black models, it was just no black models were allowed to rise to the top like Naomi did, and even that was through the help of her friends. That piece mentioned Christy but I recall an interview where Naomi said it was Linda Evangelista who would demand Naomi be on the runways with her or else Linda wouldn't walk either.

12. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

Can we all just focus our attention on the Skinny Bitch Collective post on Diet Prada for a sec?? Just unbelievable. What are these people thinking?! Far worse than any noose hoodie or keyring IMO.

13. tctra

tctra Active Member

#253 tctra, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    modela, dsamg and Mody like this.
  14. dodencebt

DVF struggling to say anything nice about Karl is mood. :lol:

Littleathquakes, Lola701 and tapenerd like this.
  15. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I think they hated each other for years

dodencebt likes this.
  16. dodencebt

He buried her with one sentence! She probably despised him for it.

17. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

What's wrong with Donna Karan?

I find it egregious for anyone to publicly 'rate' anyone else's attractiveness. Who asked, and has anyone ever looked to politics for great beauties? (They may be disappointed.)

18. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

Donna Karan is an indisputably below average human being.

Psylocke, Benn98 and tapenerd like this.
  19. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

Compared to Karl, I would've thought her ready for sainthood? I'm not aware of any wrongdoing ...

20. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

^ it kind of burns a little more when the idea that the way women dress invites rape is being pushed by another woman. But maybe I should just subject all humans to the same [low] standard..

bonnevie, Shiru, dsamg and 2 others like this.