Hermes F/W 09.10 Paris

Definitely one of my faves from Paris this time around..and most certainly one of Gaultier's better collections for Hermes...Clean, classic pieces devoid of previous "theme-y" collections ("Gaultier goes to India..Gaultier goes to the Wild Wild West"...none of which I associate w/ any notion of Parisian chic)..

Call me boring and unimaginative, but I think this collection is much sexier than his own peek-a-boo collection from a few days ago..

High-flying Hermes

PARIS: Areturn to real values of quality and excellence, as well as a focus on harmony and beauty, was the message as the Paris autumn 2009 season closed Thursday.

And no house represented better the calm face of true luxury than Hermès. Like the tale of the tortoise and the hare, the house has stood apart from all that is brash and bling to appear now a beacon for excellence and a model for elegance.

But instead of the bland face of the classic, Jean Paul Gaultier sent out a gutsy show, based on a photograph he saw of Amelia Earhart with a Hermès scarf tied around her aviator outfit. That silken square appeared only once in the show of malleable leathers. It was tied around an umbrella rather than a classic Hermès bag — although that is another area where, by keeping quiet, the category is irreproachably chic.

The show opened with a crocodile flying jacket, a sportif, nonchalant luxe, as the model walked the runway whose backdrop was a line of whirring propellers. The flight theme was nothing to do with today's crowded chaos or the super-rich world of private jets but, instead, the strong, adventurous woman of those early flights — mixed with a touch of Casablanca. That was on the soundtrack and also in the faint feeling of the 1940s that is another strong fashion story.

Gaultier can work a theme to death but this was deftly handled with a slender coat dress in the finest leather or just a fur collar added to a zippered jacket giving the sense of glamour to the models in their aviator helmets. But even if hoods were prevalent, the show was not all on the flight path. A calf-length coat with half belt at the back swished with urban elegance. The designer's tailoring skills are perfectly framed by the taste and class of Hermès. Let's hope that the costume designer for Hilary Swank in the Earhart movie that comes out later this year does half as good as job.

suzy menkes, iht.com

Mmm, what a delicious review from Suzy ... and most interesting about the inspiration.

so elegant. i love the amelia earhart inspiration. gaultier is such a great designer:heart:

I expected something different from Hermes but it's not bad at all

it was so georgeous!
the set
the models
the clothes- the materials. and the combination. the cuts-.
whoaaaaaa

Love those leather jackets...the aviation theme is perfect for Hermes but I could do without the headgear!

I've always loved their clothes more than their handbags. I know they're known for their outrageously expensive Birkins but if I had that much money to throw around, I'd much rather buy their clothes! I love the aviation theme. And all the fabulous leather!

Suzy Menkes said it all in #63 . I'm in love with this collection!

omg! ♥ brilliant collection!! * claps*
thank u all for pix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->