London shopping

^ I'm heading to London tomorrow, I will surely find new places when I do I will def. let you know. If anyone knows of any more places that is worth visiting let me know :flower:

Dana it depends on you style, but for shopping my favourite store is Liberty, just near Oxford Circus on Great Marlborough St and the little streets that make up the Newburgh Quarter (exit through the back of Liberty onto Carnaby St). After that Selfridges has everything, Topshop is a must, but Harrods is too touristy. For Markets I do like Portobello Road on a saturday - despite the throngs of tourists it's good for a rummage and still has character, and the streets that run off it (such as Westbourn Grove, Ledbury Rd, etc.) are really great for little cafes and designer botiques. Columbia Road flower market is really good on a Sunday.

For other things to do the V&A, Tate Modern, Tate Britain and the National Gallery are lovely museums, and all have free entry (though you have to pay to get into some special exhibits).

I also love getting a picnic and going up to Primrose Hill (a lovely area in itself, but also a nice park with great views of London) or Parliament Hill on Hampstead Heath. St James Park and Regents Park are lovely, or you can hire a little row boat on the Serpentine in Hyde Park. There is a lovely walk along Southbank - start at Westminster (Parliament), cross Westminster Bridge to the London Eye, and just take a leisurely walk along the river for an hour or so. Along the way you'll also see Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Borough Market (heaven if you're a foodie), Tower Bridge, etc. Just after Tower Bridge is a wharf and you can have a fancy meal at the River Cafe or a coffee at the Design Museum cafe, with great views over the bridge and river). Also try and get to a National Trust place or some grand English Property. I like Kensington Palace which is really easy to get to from Central London.

Hope that helps some of you! :flower:

^
great overall tips but I would just say that River Cafe is in Hammersmith - not near Tower Bridge. But like Boots&Perfume says, where to shop depends on your style and what you are looking for.

To add to Boots & Perfume's really great post, I would suggest the Maison Martin Margiela exhibition which is currently on at Somerset House (which is worth a visit itself anyway) and Dover Street Market for shopping.

Hey, I've made a map of the places I'm planning to visit.

I'll post it, someone may find it useful.
A few things are in Spanish:
Todos los días = Everyday
Lun = Monday
Mar = Tueday
Mier = Wednesday
Jue = Thursday
Vier = Friday
Sab = Saturday
Dom = Sunday

I won't post the image, because it's very big, you can see it here. (If you want a better quality .bmp, send me a PM)

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to Boots & Perfume's really great post, I would suggest the Maison Martin Margiela exhibition which is currently on at Somerset House (which is worth a visit itself anyway) and Dover Street Market for shopping.
Can you tell how long is this exhibition? I am going to London at 31st of July for 2 weeks and couldn't find any fashion related exhibition in the city for that time:(, this is the first! I checked all (almost all:lol:) galleries but nothing! It seems everybody takes summer holiday just at the time of my arrival:lol:

delerith - it's on until September so you've got plenty of time :flower:

Also the V&A has a section dedicated to fashion, and since it's free it's definitely worth going. They also have a Grace Kelly exhibition on at the moment (although you have to pay for that)

houtechild That's great! And I will live in the area near V&A:woot:, so definitely pay a visit!

COS is amazing, but it's one of those shops that you either love it and get it... or it's just not for you. Very minimal, very relaxed fit on things, but it's amazing design for the money. Really great prices.

Embarassingly, i've lived in London for a year and a half now and have never visited COS! Must rectify this ASAP!

COS is amazing, but it's one of those shops that you either love it and get it... or it's just not for you. Very minimal, very relaxed fit on things, but it's amazing design for the money. Really great prices.

Thanks! :flower: I think I'll check it out!

Also, which is the better Beyond Retro location, East or West End?

Oh, also, what is the day to go to Portobello Market (for clothes shopping)-- Friday or Saturday?

Thanks!

There is a Princess Grace Kelly exhibition at the V&A museum
Also there is a a small boutique called Ricci Burns it sells many different designers' stuff there is a sale now! its on Lowndes st. I think by the Jumeira Carlton Towers

east london any place for designer clothing? i am thinking around brick lane/shoreditch

Does anyone know a good place for bra fitting? I've read that Rigby & Peller was good, but I'm not too sure as I've never been there. Thank you!

^ Rigby & Peller is actually the Queens lingerie outfitter! Although I don't own any myself, they are excellently made and are superb fitters. That said they do tend to be more traditional styles, but sometimes they do lovely, young designs. Selfridges also has an excellent lingerie section with all the best designer brands, and the staff are always happy to help fit.

Hope that helps :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->