M by Madonna for H&M

^^

I think it's true to size, except small in the chest. So unless you have a large bust, you're probably OK...

am so disappointed. i had very high expectations for this collection but i'm really not impressed. the clothes are just...boring. nothing like Madonna.
except for the short sequined dress which i'm thinking of getting.B)

I find the collection very classical, honestly I think everybody could have designed it. Only bought the body, but took all 3 colors. It is a very nice basic garment and the quality is surprisingly high. As I really can't stand Madonna's music, I must say that I find her more successful as a designer :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the pieces are okay, but I'm not really in love with the collection. I think a good celeb collaboration with H&M would be Gwen Stefani...that would definitely be a fun collection! Eventhough there is no H&M in my town, besides an hour & a half away. Too bad you can't order online!

urd said:
i bought the catsuit online, it seems to be sold out now.

online store didn't have the turban :(

I got the black turban by luck as someone put it back - I was going to get the cream one as well, that is the item that sold out most quickly.

MissIndependent8 said:
I ordert til shirt dress in baige :blush: Hope it fits me in my normale size, so the sizes better nok be small in it, or else ill get really pissed:rolleyes::lol:

527_m_coll_21.jpg

DL527_58915_15006_51_2525.jpg

(Photos from hogm.dk)

I hate to say it, but this dress is SOOOOOOOOOO tight! Depends how small you are, no good for someone without skinny upper arms and a tiny waist. Definetly needed a size up! My sister (UK8/US4) and me (UK10/US6) could not get in our normal sizes and we did not bother trying on a size up, it really put me off.

hey guys...

do you know if the stores will be refilled with this collection or is it a limited one?

Here in Rome there's no H&M and I'm not going near one until april 7th...

what do you think?

Will I find the M collection?

InnocentFairy said:
I hate to say it, but this dress is SOOOOOOOOOO tight! Depends how small you are, no good for someone without skinny upper arms and a tiny waist. Definetly needed a size up! My sister (UK8/US4) and me (UK10/US6) could not get in our normal sizes and we did not bother trying on a size up, it really put me off.

Im a size 14 in UK. Now ive changed the order to a size 16 insted. Hope thats better then :blush:

i think you will find most of the collection, except for the best-sellers (corset-belts, catsuit,etc..).
i'm glad i went for those belts first, they were sold out in 2 mins.

This isn't like the Lagerfeld, Stella or Victor & Rolf
collections. That once they are sold out they won't restock in stores, because they will. This is a longer running collection...

Pop Goes Madonna: H&M Launch Lures Fans Around the Globe

Published: Friday, March 23, 2007 By WWD Staff

Madonna certainly has her legions of obsessed fans, but when it comes to fashion, she's not quite Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney or Viktor & Rolf.

After an initial rush of crowds through the doors of Hennes & Mauritz stores around the world, where fans sought the first installment of M by Madonna merchandise, the fast-fashion chain said it was pleased with sales.

But the activity and crowds seemed to flow in a less frenzied way compared with the mania that stretched over several days for Lagerfeld's H&M collection. The pop star's collection was introduced Thursday at H&M stores in 26 countries.

Some dedicated fans lined up in the darkness of the early morning hours outside stores from Berlin to Los Angeles.

"I think I'm going to faint," said 19-year-old student Marie-Line Panycz, clutching an autographed Madonna trenchcoat at H&M's Haussmann flagship in Paris. Panycz's mother drove her to H&M at 4:30 a.m. so she could be one of the first in line.

The retailer announced it would give the first five customers a trenchcoat with a message from the star, "love, Madonna," scrawled on the lining. Panycz plans to frame hers. She also bought an unsigned trench, sunglasses, a scarf, black trousers and a white leather bag, for a total of 200 euros, about $267 at current exchange. Each year, she spends about 2,000 euros, or $2,670, on Madonna memorabilia, CDs and tickets to see the pop diva.

Unlike the rush for H&M's previous designer collaborations, there were fewer than 100 people lined up before the doors opened at the flagship.

"This is very different from our past collections," said Jennifer Ugliaro, a spokeswoman for H&M in the U.S. "It's a broader, more classic collection."

M, which is aimed at a wide audience, is being sold in all 118 H&M units in the U.S. Viktor & Rolf, H&M's last designer collaboration, was sold in about 10 to 12 stores in the U.S.

"There's nothing so trendy in M," Ugliaro said. "The shelf life for M is longer than it was for Karl and the others."

Still, business was brisk in many markets, with shoppers spending on multiple items, although Amanda Michaloprulou, a customer at H&M's Berlin Friedrichstrasse store, said, "Fashion people do it better than rock icons."

As the Material Girl's hits throbbed in the background, consumers at H&M's Fifth Avenue flagship in New York inspected the little black dresses, double-breasted suits, white leotards, fitted white shirts and kimono dresses. A long trenchcoat in white or black leather is the most expensive piece in the line at $298.90 and is the item that most clearly reflects Madonna's personal style.

There's also a black jumpsuit embellished with silver studs and a novelty dress completely covered in gold and white sequins.

"All of the girls on the red carpet are wearing the sequin dress," Ugliaro said. "We just sent Gwyneth Paltrow one of everything in the collection in every color. She asked for it. All of Madonna's friends are wearing it."

Jeannie Buxo, a secretary, got to the Fifth Avenue store at 5 a.m. She spent $600 on a leather jacket, sunglasses, scarves and a kimono dress. "That's the best item," she said of the black-and-white dress. "I came early because the first 250 people on line got a raffle ticket to win a trenchcoat signed by Madonna.... Everything Madonna does is original and exciting."

Ana Mackintosh, a tourist from Spain, saw M by Madonna in Elle magazine and immediately liked it. "I knew the clothes were going to be special," she said, clutching the sequin dress, a leather trenchcoat and a white blouse.

Linda Fuller of Toronto followed young women around the store who appeared to be the same age as her daughter and took note of what they were buying. Her haul included a trenchcoat, three dresses, a blouse and a purse. "I was walking by the store and saw them unloading the M merchandise," she said. "I walked in and it was insane for a moment. Then they started bringing out more merchandise and people calmed down."

However, not everyone was taken with what they saw. "The last collection by Viktor & Rolf was better," said shopper Claire Magat. "There's not a big difference between M and the regular H&M clothes. The dresses don't fit me."

At the Beverly Center in Los Angeles, about 25 customers showed up before the opening, compared with more than 200 people who queued up for the debut of the Victor & Rolf collection in November.

"I expected there to be way more people," said Heather Biede, a 33-year-old "superfan" of the singer, who drove from Pasadena to be first on line at 6 a.m. "The security guys told me they thought there would be more people, too."

Agate Dawson of Valencia, Calif., arrived at 8:45 a.m. with her five-year-old daughter and 18-month-old son. "I thought it was going to be chaos, and wondered about bringing the kids, but it's really mellow," she said.

Once the doors opened, the small crowd sent up a collective cry of glee, then swarmed the selection. Popular items included the wraparound sunglasses, M-logo silk scarves, black dresses and pencil skirts.

In Boston, neither the Downtown Crossing nor the Newbury Street stores had lines and by mid-morning, sales associates at each location reported an average day's traffic. At the Newbury Street store at mid-afternoon, racks remained fully stocked. The collection's severe ivory, white and black palette appeared to be upstaged by nearby racks of orange and green minidresses and blue-and-gold brocade suiting, where customers gathered.

In London, the atmosphere was more subdued compared with previous guest designer launches, when hordes fought over the clothing and stock had to be replenished regularly. At Oxford Circus, there were about 20 people waiting on line before the H&M store opened, and stock levels remained high except for key pieces, such as a cream leather trench and a kimono dress.

It was a similar story at H&M in Knightsbridge. "We still have stock of everything," said an H&M saleswoman at around noon. "Previous collections were much more crazy." Wimbledon's H&M was relatively quiet, too. "We had a few people and it was busy at lunchtime," said a saleswoman, adding the store had yet to sell out of any key items.

The response might have been related to the line's widespread distribution in the U.K. Unlike past guest designer collections, M by Madonna is distributed in all the H&M stores that carry women's wear, rather than in the flagships alone.

Only the High Street Kensington store drew a serious crowd. "I think it's because of where we are," said a salesman. "The collection is at a higher price point, which suits the women who shop in this area."

At the Haussmann flagship in Paris, enthusiasm was high. Sandra Azouly, marketing director for the 2026 fashion brand, who spent 850 euros, or $1,135, said, "Madonna, for me, is a fashion icon." She added, "It is a bit expensive."

"She creates fashion," said Nathalie Grosjean, a sales assistant. "Everything she wears is followed." Grosjean, who bought two of the H&M Madonna tracksuits in August, had been on line since 7:30 a.m.

"She's original," added Sarah Mahler, a Clarins training manager who waited for three hours to get into the store. Still, it was less than the four hours she waited to buy a ticket to Madonna's "Confessions" tour.

In Italy, Milanese of all ages appeared to be clutching armfuls of slim jersey dresses and cropped jackets, plus a range of accessories such as patent corset belts, silver clutches and bold wraparound sunglasses.

Viviana Cacioppo, 30, came to check out the new arrivals. "Look at these jersey dresses, they are absolutely fabulous and they cost only $59.90 each," she said. "I'll definitely buy three at least."

"Everything about Madonna is powerful and perfect," said Barbara Caputo, a 26-year-old university student.

Paolo, who preferred not to give her last name, an H&M sales associate, said reaction to Madonna was "not as crazy as with her [designer] predecessors, but it's definitely a well received collection that sold well."

Silvia Cafarelli, a 32-year-old graphic designer, declared that Lagerfeld's collection had been the best so far, but as a fashion devotee, she couldn't miss Thursday's opportunity. "Lagerfeld's line was completely different from anything else," she said. "He was the first big designer to design for H&M, which counts, plus it had a Chanel spirit that made it unique."

In Berlin, where a chilly rain fell, a small crowd waited for the doors to open at 9 a.m. at the Tauentzienstrasse location. Although it was crowded upstairs and the line for the dressing rooms was long, the scene was orderly, thanks to salespeople wearing Madonna T-shirts, who assisted shoppers and kept the racks and tables relatively tidy and filled.

The accessories were snapped up almost immediately, especially the patent leather belts. The jumpsuits also disappeared quickly. Many women were carrying black or white leather trenchcoats, leather jackets, black slinky jersey dresses and pink, black and white silk dresses.

One shopper, who had four shopping bags in each hand, said she made purchases for her mother, her friends and herself. "I only hope it looks as good on us as it did on the Internet," she said.

Patiently waiting on line, Kimberly Bohle, an American expatriate, said she was taken with the collection. "Oh, I like it, especially the dresses," she said. "Watch the women trying on the black leather trenchcoats. You can see their faces light up when they've found their size."

Not everyone was thrilled. "The quality isn't good and the fabrics don't have a good hand," said Tina Schaeffer, owner of a children's store in Berlin. "The photos looked really good, and the prices are fair. But it's just not my taste."

At the Berlin Friedrichstrasse branch, store manager Daniel Sieber said, "We are really pleased and sales are doing well. It's hard to tell what's in the changing rooms right now, but at a rough estimate, within the first half hour, we shifted around 50 percent of the Madonna stock."

Doreen Mallon, a 43-year-old investment consultant, said, "The collection's OK. But there seems to be nothing but puff sleeves as far as I can see. And the materials are really artificial. I think there was a lot more choice at the Lagerfeld collection."

Marketing consultant Kirsten Nassen, 40, agreed about the material. "I mean look at this, everything looks like it's made out of viscose. It would really make you sweat....And the quality isn't always up to scratch. With Lagerfeld, the collection was more timeless and the quality was better. You could tell that he was a designer. Price-wise, I'd rather pay a little more and get something better."

And then there was public relations consultant Alexandra Kugke, who was weighed down by an armful of dresses. "It's very contemporary," she said. "It's elegant, but at the same time modern. It's good that there isn't so much of a crush here this time around. At the Stella McCartney opening, you just had to grab what you could get. I love the dresses, although I'm not sure I would wear the jumpsuit or the bomber jacket. They are a little bit too flashy."

MissIndependent8 said:
Im a size 14 in UK. Now ive changed the order to a size 16 insted. Hope thats better then :blush:

Honestly, I think you have made the right choice getting a bigger size - they have definetly been tight with the material with this dress. This is probably the nicest dress I saw in the collection - besides the sequin dress which I thought was too expensive! And felt REALLY heavy too.

Last edited by a moderator:
InnocentFairy said:
Honestly, I think you have made the right choice getting a bigger size - they have definetly been tight with the material with this dress.

Hope so, eventhough its not good for my selfasteme ( how do you spell it ? :blush:) :lol:

InnocentFairy said:
Honestly, I think you have made the right choice getting a bigger size - they have definetly been tight with the material with this dress. This is probably the nicest dress I saw in the collection - besides the sequin dress which I thought was too expensive! And felt REALLY heavy too.

What dress is that?

i visited my local H&m at 5 pm on the 22nd. there was one middle aged woman that tried to shove me out of the way. when i complained she said "that's too bad". i couldnt believe the cheek of it!!:shock:

i tried on the beige secretary dress and it does indeed run small and tight. i have a feeling it would wrinkle as well.

all the purses were sold out at my H&M stores so i wasnt able to get a good look at them.

i got lost inside the floor length 69.90 dress. literally, it was impossible to put on! i struggled for a while and gave up.

i also pulled a shoulder muscle trying to maneuver myself into the 59.90 black dress with the banding at the waist. i ended up purchasing the black version and the champagne version.

surprisingly, the item that fit me best was the 35$ black and white flowered dress.
im pleased because this is an item i could wear to work.

does anyone know if there is a black nylon trench coat for 99$ or equivalent. i only saw the white one.

overall, i like the collection in person. however the jersey material of the dresses could get stifling in the summertime. thats my only concern.

MissIndependent8 said:
What dress is that?

It's the cream tunic dress with gold and black (I think) lines running down/across it.

They didn't even have the collection in the Dublin store today despite showing the ads on tv's all around the store! I hate living in Dublin!! :angry:

I might go back and try some stuff on. I called the other H&M store in my city, and they told me that none of hte stores here were getting hte sequin dress.

I have a pretty good feeling that in about a month I'll be able to get it for less than $75 on Ebay.

both of the stores in my city only got a few of the sequins dresses in.
i think itll be a much rarer item than the other dresses.
i think H&M will want to get rid of these as fast as they can as the sequins will fall off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->