Model Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Discussion in 'In the News...' started by Thread Manager, Aug 21, 2017.

1. badgalcrush

badgalcrush Active Member

youtube

Adut giving her POV about the drama she had with an australian magazine interview about her

tapenerd likes this.
  2. billiejbob

billiejbob Active Member

We have another anti-vaxxer model on our hands...

A lot of Elle Macpherson's ties to the anti-vaxx movement have come to light especially in regard to her romantic relationship with an infamous anti-vaxx "doctor".

I'm embarrassed to call her Australian. It's a shame people with a platform to educate use it to misinform instead.

Elle Macpherson’s new life with world’s most notorious anti-vaxxers

3. Dior Dream

Dior Dream Active Member

It is sad that there are people who do not agree with their anti-vaxx views but say that we should not be criticizing them bc they we live in a liberal society and they are entitled to believe and say whatever they want to. How are we not supposed to raise objection when these people are using their huge platform to spread misinformation about this global pandemic that has also disturbed the mental health of thousands of people, and in most cases it remains unidentified?

Armani and dsamg like this.
  4. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

Why do we have so many embarrassing models in Australia? I don't know anyone like this in real life. Perhaps need to spend more time in Byron and I will find them.

5. danawokarrr

danawokarrr Member

Super late reply, I was reading old pages, but what do you mean by this? Obviously Karlie herself is no expert programmer but I think the idea of her coding camp is great. You're right that these kinds of camps for girls are common (Women in CS, girlswhocode, etc), but nothing wrong with an additional community for girls, especially coming from a famous public figure who I'm sure many girls look up to and could be inspired by to pursue this field. I now work at a top 10 US tech company but as the girliest girl growing up, I initially was turned off by coding purely because of the stigma that only male "nerds" with genius IQs could do it. It was one of those camps that made me change my mind. Great initiative imo.

#1745 danawokarrr, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  6. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Well-Known Member

The image of a coder as some nerdy male is pretty outdated by about a decade, I would say. Popular movies like Hackers, the Matrix, etc., have pretty much eliminated that.

dsamg likes this.
  7. Littleathquakes

That's why I expect the worst from celebrities - then I'm not disappointed.

tapenerd and dsamg like this.
  8. danawokarrr

danawokarrr Member

Not really. I live in the heart of it all (Silicon Valley) and it's still very much the image. In my AP Comp Sci class in high school (literally IN the Bay Area, the nerdiest of nerdiest places), I was one of seven or eight girls in a class of at least 25-30 total. I went to a college whose CS program is top 5 in the US and even there my advanced courses had like 20 girls in 100 students. I'm speaking from my firsthand experience and that of my friends'. I felt out of place, ostracized, and was looked down upon as dumb among my male classmates, because I didn't play video games (I partied instead, wore cute outfits to class, etc) and wasn't 'one of the guys'. I was considered "not as serious." In my last internship before graduation I was regularly mansplained to by my male co-intern when I literally knew everything he did. None of my nursing or liberal arts major friends dealt with this.

Also the movies you mentioned have nothing to do with the actual programming world. Just because the outside world sees males and females in tech as equal doesn't mean we don't have to struggle within it.

#1748 danawokarrr, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  9. danawokarrr

danawokarrr Member

And for reference, I graduated last May (2020)! @Littleathquakes

10. lucy92

lucy92 Mod Squad Team Leader

Lottie Moss (Kate's sister) has joined Glow which is apparently an upmarket Onlyfans. Not sure why Storm (her agency) isn't putting a lid on this. Anyone know?

11. axiomatic

axiomatic Well-Known Member

Why is 'Lottie Moss nude photos' trending?

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

The Belle De Jour effect. I've always wondered why those who come from well to do families engage in sex-related work. Lottie doesn't have to do this, if she had an ounce of Kate's work ethic she'd be ok. I wonder if it's just because she's workshy. It doesn't take any sort of special skill to shoot nudes. Even if they're awful there will always be a sucker willing to pay for it. Add to that the prestige of being Kate Moss' little sister and she's got a pretty nifty racket set up for herself.

I hope Kate is not the one who is unhappy because she has done countless nude shoots over the years and even shot for Playboy.

tapenerd likes this.
  13. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

It is a little bit strange as I doubt she needs the money but the reaction from her family is also strange. As you say Benn98, Kate has done plenty of nude work over the years and Lottie would likely do plenty as well in modelling. It is just plain hypocrisy that we think sexualised nudity in high fashion is great but we turn our noses up at nudity on OnlyFans. There is nothing wrong with consensual sex work.

There were also repeated mentions in these threads and others of the high end extra-curricular activities of many big models (Miranda being the most frequent) so she isn't really doing anything other models haven't. I suppose the main issue is just that she loses her appeal to bigger brands that have large conservative Middle Eastern client bases.

JPineapple and tapenerd like this.
  14. arabchic

arabchic Member

Really the Middle Eastern clientele will just buy the stuff they want from any brand and not care about any brand’s liberal values and any model nudes.

Littleathquakes likes this.
  15. danawokarrr

danawokarrr Member

Yeah the Middle Eastern countries that have the uber-rich fashion clientele tend to be a bit more modernized, or at least capable of ignoring what they don't like. For example Kim Kardashian's SKIMS is sold at Ounass, she had a Vogue Arabia cover, etc. I'm sure they have the same ambivalence towards the models that brands choose.

arabchic likes this.
  16. Littleathquakes

I don't think the movies have to actually have anything to do with actual programming to have a modern take on what a computer programmer is. For reference, I'm a male nurse. The idea of a nurse being a female, middle age, Caucasian, in white skirts, with a little white cap and playing the mommy role is long gone. The portrayal of nurses in modern media has dispelled that image. You don't need to watch Nurse Jackie or ER to recognize that.

While I'm sorry to hear what you had to go through, your original post painted a picture of a computer nerd as a male geek, which I responded to as typical of antiquated imagery from over a decade ago and argued that women are socially accepted as being computer programmers. I never touched upon what you described or went through because that was not what the discussion was about. What you are describing is a male dominant industry and from your descriptions, you were prejudiced against based on your gender. That doesn't change the fact that what we were talking about was imagery of programmers and that they're no longer considered nerdy male geeks. That's alls I was saying. You took this on a more personal level.

melissablu, upNorth and AnnKateBetty like this.
  17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Kate's random exclusive interview with UK Reader's Digest of all magazines. LOL.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

UK Reader's Digest Digital Edition

dsamg and tapenerd like this.
  18. danawokarrr

danawokarrr Member

Even then, I think it says a lot that that the mindset that only 'nerdy' men with a one-track STEM mind can be programmers is still prevalent today where I live, which is the heart of the tech world. That imagery may be different/nonexistent where you live and in the mass media, but not in the US as a whole (don't even get me started on the south or on the East Coast). I wouldn't know about the world view though. But that imagery is definitely not antiquated in the US. There just so happens to be a push in tech for more diversity, both in gender and ethnicity, to tick off checkboxes, but that singular idea of a male programmer is very much there.

19. Cute

Cute Well-Known Member

20. Armani

Armani Tech Support

No words…

credit: mona_tougaard on Instagram (now deleted… but screenshots last forever)
    C7C4CECE-E9AB-4C16-B920-1075257F5C08.png

#1760 Armani, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021