Most influential style blogs

can anyone recommend a blog that isn't all high fashion, but more affordable fashion?

knighttcat.com is an awesome blog i regularly stalk it for beautiful visuals as well as fantastic things to purchase she knows some amazing jewellers!

^ IA. I'm surprised she didn't make the list, she has a lot of readers.

yeah, i frequent knightcat a lot.. lots of readers.. her taste is similar to fashiontoast, i feel like.

September 14, 2009
Young Bloggers Have Ear of Fashion Heavyweights

By ALICE PFEIFFER
PARIS — At first glance, Dirrty Glam resembles any trendy online magazine. It features famous faces like Lilly Allen and Sienna Miller on its cover, and combines fashion, film and music reviews with celebrity interviews.
There is just one thing: Dirrty Glam’s entire team, from editor in chief to public relations manager, is between 19 and 22 years old. The magazine, based in Paris, was started three years ago by Alie Suvelor, then 18 and now editor in chief.
“We’re young but this isn’t a hobby, this is our full-time job,” said Ms. Suvelor, who also serves as stylist and writes for the magazine, which is in its 24th issue and has an English-language version.
The magazine and other fashion blogs and blog networks are helping to give young entrepreneurs an early entry into journalism and winning some of them a place in the notoriously competitive fashion industry. Other sites include TeenUgly, an American-based blog network; the blogs Susie Bubble, based in London, and Childhood Flames, from the United States; and Cherry Blossom Girl, a blogger and designer from London.
“Traditional fashion publications are all learning to adapt to this new force,” said Géraldine Dormoy, the online fashion editor for the French magazine L’Express.
Ms. Dormoy, who is in her 30s, has been on both ends of the fashion media continuum. She created the blog Café Mode five years ago and was later offered a fashion position at L’Express, a widely read weekly. She continues to produce her blog.
That a younger crowd is making its mark in online journalism should not come as a surprise. Tools available on the Web — in addition to the proclivity of younger people to adapt to them — has made it easier to create a Web site, blog or network.
“Today’s teenagers never had to discover the Internet,” said Tomas Gonsorcik, head of intelligence at the social media consultancy Interaction London. They were “almost predetermined to master the new means of media and communication in a way that is qualitatively much richer than the older generation.”
Mr. Gonsorcik said the online projects presented many advantages. Blogging tools offer simple layouts that resemble Web sites, making the blogs and other projects almost indistinguishable from traditional online media, he said.
At the same time, Mr. Gonsorcik said, they “reach out a demographic beyond their own by the very ability to sit side-by-side their older competitors in the search engine result.”
And they have been received and recognized by the fashion industry in part because of the value it places on self-training.
“Fashion is one of the few fields which accepts people with little formal training,” Ms. Dormoy said. “Through these blogs, these young girls show their ability to work as stylists or photographers.”

Some of the efforts are attracting advertisers. DirrtyGlam has ads from the clothing retailer Miss Sixty. The online luxury boutique Net-à-Porter has partnerships with DirrtyGlam and Red Carpet Fashion Awards, a blog that comments and rates celebrities’ red carpet outfits.
Alison Loehnis, vice president for sales and marketing at Net-à-Porter, said the new generation of fashion blogs was attractive because it had “a wonderful viral capability” and allowed the company “to connect and interact more closely the potential future audience.”
American Apparel, the sportswear brand, advertises on all the major fashion blogs, like Teen Vogue; and Childhood Flame, produced by a 15-year-old from Portland, Ore., Camille Rushanaedy; or Fashion Toast, by Rumi Neely of San Francisco. It also created a personalized ad for the online fashion journalist Alix Bancourt, the Paris-based creator of the Cherry Blossom Girl blog.
For Chictopia, with more than five million unique visitors a month, the reward has come in the recognition. The fashion-blog network introduced TeenUgly in 2008, which is produced by high school fashion enthusiasts and features offers to share and comment on outfit snapshots.
TeenUgly rapidly met such popularity that the editors, ages 14 and 16, were invited to New York Fashion week in February and reviewed several shows for Chictopia.
Sea of Shoes, a blog from Jane Aldridge, 17, of Dallas, gained such a following that she was asked, in June, to design her own line of shoes for Urban Outfitters.
Similarly, the British blogger Susanna Lau, better known as Susie Bubble, and her blog Style Bubble, has just designed her own line of clothes, produced and sold by the online retailer Urban Collection. Last May, Ms. Lau, 24, was also made commissioning editor for the online edition of the British fashion magazine Dazed and Confused.
Some say that making the move from amateur entrepreneur to worldwide recognition highlights the intuitive aspect of fashion.
“Fashion is subjective,” says Keith Pollock, executive online editor of Brant Publications, which publishes art magazines and Interview, the pop culture magazine founded by Andy Warhol. “There are very respected fashion journalists that can evaluate the state of the market. However I don’t see how a fashion editor’s perspective on a Prada shoe is more valid than that of a teen blogger in Evanston, Illinois.”
NY Times

after being asked if i had a style blog and getting a weird face at the answer no, i wonder, is there are specific reason to make a style blog? what is the purpose in it? i understand the viewer's point, but what's in it for the blogger himself?

It's like a diary for them, and a chance to show off their purchases or whatever. :P
Also, some earn money from blogging, through ads.

^ except a lot of bloggers like Susie Bubble, Garance, etc. seem to have a spirit of, "This is so beautiful! I want everyone to see!" They come upon cool, unknown designers, or see well-dressed people on the street, and want to share. That's really wonderful.

^ except a lot of bloggers like Susie Bubble, Garance, etc. seem to have a spirit of, "This is so beautiful! I want everyone to see!" They come upon cool, unknown designers, or see well-dressed people on the street, and want to share. That's really wonderful.

I totally agree. These two have a knack of spotting the "Zeitgeist" in terms of fashion. I love both their blogs & personalities. I think their writing is a major factor why readers multiply and come back for more. They seem to have lovely personalities as well & are just a bit above the average :smile: Even though they are stylistically and genre-wise different, I think they're equally important to the fashion blogosphere. :heart:

First of all excuse my ignorance, but who is Signature9 to be a credible enough to even consider their list relevant? when that list doesn't even work at their website....

2nd of all .... www.alexa.com bible of relevance, for any website!

3rd.... fashion industry actually acknowledges bloggers with a "face" as influential blogs, sitting them even front row at the latest fashion weeks. While most of them blog about themselves, I do not see how are they of influence only cause they take photos with their Chanel bag, gets pretty hilarious...

The way this is going they'll be sitting Perez Hilton front row next season, with his newly found fashion "sense" and that blog of his.

^ and Perez gets SOSOSOSO many facts wrong like designers of clothes the actual names of the celebs ect..... I hate it. I used to be a die hard Perez Hilton reader but after seeing all the factual errors about something I know a lot about I have a feeling that the facts are wrong on his main blog as well.

Perez was controversial when he first started blogging, but since then he's just been "friends" with celebs and kept up with his childish Microsoft-Paint scribbles on photos. When he announced he was launching a fashion blog, I really hoped it would die.

Is that a bad thing? :wink:

As for personal style blog... i honestly don't understand why a few fashion bloggers just post up photos of themselves in self styled photoshoots - and they are relatively popular. I guess people like pretty voyeurism.... and the bloggers themselves like having their phototaken?

What's sad is that Perez's hideous take on fashion blogging, which is actually from what i see a total diarrhea of negativity, is supported by major advertisers such as GAP, Sony Picture Classics and some fashion reality shows.

Which I find really sad, no matter how much you don't like other designers work, fashion is a form of art, and it should be critiqued that way. They of all people should choose who they support, not rush for a few extra ad impressions...

Plus all of the material is just ripped of other fashion blogs... of course with no credit.

Sea of Shoes. At first I hated her style, but now I am obssesed with it.

Sea of Shoes. At first I hated her style, but now I am obssesed with it.
word. Less than 1% she wears i would wear or at least think of wearing but its exactly that what makes it so refreshing for me, its inspiring in a less literal way. And the photography in her blog is really good, love the colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->