Movies with great fashion!

Melisande said:
My all-time favorite could be:

*Death in Venice (Visconti) ---Utterly and totally gorgeous. Actually, most Visconti movies are visual feasts through and through. (photos from Death in V, Gattopardo, and Ludwig; dont even beGIN to do justice though...:D )

I also love:
*Mahler (Ken Russell) turn of the century meets 1974. Yum!
*Pretty Baby (Louis Malle) ---inspired me to go around wearing white dresses with black or stripey tights for a while! :D also from Louis Malle, *Zazie dans le Metro (photos from both)
*La Reine Margot (Patrice Chereau) ---sumptuous. Adjani=my favorite actress in the world.
*La Belle et la Bete (Jean Cocteau)--photo. All sorts of avant-garde romanticism going on, still looks new today.

And of course:
Cabaret and The Great Gatsby and Frida and Sleepy Hollow, as have been mentioned, and My Fair Lady!!!. Adjani's dresses in Adolphe were gorgeous and Cameron's wardrobe in The Invisible Circus was charmingly hippy (and specially me). And there's a special place in my heart for Desperately Seeking Susan in the 80's category... :blush:
Great call on La Belle et La Bete (one of my favorite films)- they style does look great today still. In the Phantom of the Opera(the 2004 film) I actually notaced a lot of visual references to that film.

Wong Kar Wai's "2046"

source: http://www.up4u.net/movie/index.php?gallery=A/2046

2046013.jpg

2046016.jpg

2046020.jpg

2046021.jpg

2046005.jpg

IMO, The Royal Tenenbaums since the style is retro and wearable. I loooove the track suits and Gwyneth's outfits!

René Russo in The Thomas Crown Affair has amazing outfits!!!! (so does Pierce Brosnan... yum... Esther Cañadas' outfits are also gorgeous!) I didn't like Russo's dominatrix boots though... but the rest is very luxurious.

How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days... I LOVE all of the outfits!!! Of course, if you are Kate Hudson you can pull them off... That yellow dress is perfect on her! Her day outfits are all so cute... she is very feminine in that movie, and I love that!

MOULIN ROUGE!!!! Of course, the amazing costumes! Nicole Kidman's head piece is to die for! The finale outfit... oh wow...

Helen Hunt in What Women Want...

I would have to say that Romy and Michelle had some fabulous outfits - mainly the colours I loved so much! :lol:

wl514_romy_michelle_d.jpg

tvnz.co.nz

CIN90225_016.jpg

The Thomas Crown affair has allready been mentioned..

Don't know if its "great" fashion but The Piano Teacher with icy Isabelle Huppert showed what I consider a very french wardrobe.
And I liked Clair Danes wardrobe in It's all about Love.

Mine would have to be:

Breakfast at Tiffany's, Roman Holiday, Funny Face (basically any Audrey)
Amelie and A Very Long Engagement
Royal Tennenbaums
Le Divorce (crappy movie...phenomenal clothes)
Mona Lisa Smile
Down With Love (fabulous clothes, despite renee zellweger who looks like a prune)
Secretary
Sylvia (Gwyneth as Sylvia Plath...how can you get any better)
Talented Mr. Ripley
Thomas Crown Affair

and my guilty pleasure is Shannyn Sossamon in Rules of Attraction

Bright Young Things
A Good Woman
Amelie
Gosford Park
The Dreamers
2046, In the Mood For Love
Funny Face
Anything with Catherine Deneuve in
Stepford Wives (shite film....lovely dresses)

One that sticks out in my mind is the wardrobes in The Talented Mr. Ripley (when I discovered the beautiful Mr. Law) and I also loved Gwyneth's character in the Royal Tennenbaums.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but the fashion in The Notebook makes me soooooooo happy. I adore the 40's style - dresses, shoes, swimsuits, everything was perfection, and Rachel McAdams wore it wonderfully.

My absolute favorites are

The Graduate

Breakfast at Tiffany's

and

The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Also most of the French Nouvelle Vague films, Girl,Interrupted and Lost in Translation.And Dreamers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Melisande said:
*La Reine Margot (Patrice Chereau) ---sumptuous. Adjani=my favorite actress in the world
:woot: great pick! I watched it recently, and I must agree - the costumes were breathtaking (practically everything in the film was stunning) And I cannot believe Isabelle Adjani was 39 when it was filmed, I thought she was in her early twenties :blush: :flower:

Hanne said:
And I liked Clair Danes wardrobe in It's all about Love.
I :heart: her clothes in that movie!!! I want them all!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
francois truffaut series of antoine doinel movies, beautiful french tailoring, I love the whole feel of these films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->