MTV's Laguna Beach

Originally posted by LostInNJ@Oct 24 2004, 08:18 PM
I thought it was scripted at first, but then came to the conclusion that these kids would have to be ridiculously amazing actors to be so natural with some of the situations :flower:
[snapback]405881[/snapback]​

I agree. It's just too realistic to be acting. The 30 and 40 something people who run MTV wouldn't know about all the tiny things that can make up teenage interaction. If it is fake, those kids deserve Emmys.

Originally posted by That Day@Sep 29 2004, 08:07 PM
its so sad because all the girls look and dress teh same. blondes. short skirts. :sick:
[snapback]379971[/snapback]​

Thats how it really is here, unfortunately. copycats :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Misako@Oct 24 2004, 03:21 PM

They should've done Malibu if they wanted to call it the REAL O.C.

[snapback]405725[/snapback]​

except for the fact that malibu isnt in orange county

Originally posted by mary_berrie@Oct 25 2004, 01:08 AM
except for the fact that malibu isnt in orange county
[snapback]406012[/snapback]​

Right, but Malibu is more representitive of what the show the O.C. is than Laguna Beach, which is what they're basing it off of. Not O.C. the place, but the show.

Originally posted by Misako@Oct 24 2004, 11:59 PM
Right, but Malibu is more representitive of what the show the O.C. is than Laguna Beach, which is what they're basing it off of. Not O.C. the place, but the show.
[snapback]406032[/snapback]​

actually i think the basis of The O.C. (the show), is that the "spoiled rich kid" syndrome exists outside of the L.A/Beverly Hills/Hollywood bubble... that o.c. kids are just as bad.. esp since they live beachside in one of the richest counties in the country..so i still think laguna would be a better fit.. that or newport coast or coto de caza.

Originally posted by LostInNJ@Oct 24 2004, 08:18 PM
I thought it was scripted at first, but then came to the conclusion that these kids would have to be ridiculously amazing actors to be so natural with some of the situations :flower:
[snapback]405881[/snapback]​

not really...they just probably need a guideline of what they should say rather than a strict script...they probably are just improvising...the reason i say this is that they should one shot of something happening and then switch to another angle of the same shot, but this other angle means that in the first shot you should have been able to see the second camera but you cant...hence the reason i think they do it over and over again...does that make sense...

aaah....im wrong...

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

MTV reinvents reality TV as it debuts Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County.
Tonight at 10:30 ET, MTV reinvents the reality television genre that it created fourteen years ago. The Bunim-Murray productions The Real World and Road Rules introduced television to the dramatic potential of real people's lives, the narrative potential of interview comments and confessional admissions, and the storytelling and editing style that's been imitated by nearly every reality TV series from Survivor to The Simple Life. Tonight's debut of Laguna Beach ditches all of that. Subtitled "The Real Orange County," mostly to hopefully pick up some of the cache of that other O.C. show, the series follows the lives of eight 20-somethings who have pre-existing relationships. There will be no indication that they're on a reality TV show; instead, the series has been shot and edited like a drama. Executive producer tells the New York Post, "I've always wanted to try to do a reality show that would use the visual language of a narrative like in feature [films] and dramas instead of the visual language of a documentary." The show, which wrapped at the end of August, "[used] at least two or three cameras for every shot" and "cameramen with dramatic TV experience," the Post reports. In its review of the series, the Hollywood Reporter points out the obvious: this is a "new reality subgenre that's bound to be imitated and ridiculed, revered and reviled" that "will probably become appointment television for many." Some of the reviews find the results boring, including The Boston Herald ("remarkably short on drama") and The Chicago Tribune ("lifeless"). But The New York Times finds the series "is really high school, so precise," primarily because "no fiction show does as well at evoking, so forcefully, the hot, tribal mentality of high school kids who might just redeem their adolescence with sex."

Yeah, they're in high school. How can they be 20-somethings? Unless they are even dumber than they appear.

I watched the OC this past season, and sadly to say, followed it as it took horrible and outrageous turns with relationships and situations... I haven't sat to watch an entire episode of Laguna Beach yet, but based on previews, and the small section that I have seen, I am appalled. It's the teeny boppers OC.... for the upper middle class that is.

Originally posted by Misako@Oct 24 2004, 11:59 PM
[snapback]406032[/snapback]​
maybe you should spen more time doing your research...

Originally posted by UApologirl@Oct 29 2004, 02:56 PM
maybe you should spen more time doing your research...
[snapback]410551[/snapback]​

I have firsthand comments from people I know that live in Orange County and people that live in Laguna Beach and neighbouring areas. They say that it's not necessarily representative, or that the people they chose to depict on the show are certainly not equivalent to "the O.C." lifestyle, and there may be people in LB that do, but there are also other people in other ocean-side cities down there that could easily fit the O.C. mold.

:: shrugs ::

This show and the OC is trying to make Orange County into something it is not... Most of the homes are overpriced tract homes, where you can hear your neighbor flush the toilet..... its really quite a boring place. I miss Rich Girls.... they were so funny...... actually no, the episode where Ally couldnt make a taco and was crying was annoying.

So... are these people not really in high school?

I like the whole idea of it not being scripted, nor totally reality... This is another guilty pleasure of mine :innocent: :ninja:

Originally posted by pointup@Oct 2 2004, 12:53 AM
I heard Ally went in to rehab?
[snapback]382747[/snapback]​
you're absolutely right- it was widely reported and her reps said it was true

Originally posted by Misako@Oct 24 2004, 06:21 PM
I don't think Laguna Beach is particuarly wealthy of an area (at least, it's not the REAL O.C. - they may party and sort of have pretty people, but the show is definitely not comprised of people that are particuarly wealthy, unlike the characters on the O.C...I find it a little ironic that they call it the REAL O.C., then, as I'd think Malibu would be more like the O.C. than anything) - just by looking at things, etc. I think CelineChic is right...

according to wikipedia, for Laguna Beach:

The median income for a household in the city is $75,808, and the median income for a family is $100,778. Males have a median income of $66,221 versus $46,138 for females. The per capita income for the city is $58,732. 5.1% of the population and 2.8% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 4.7% are under the age of 18 and 4.3% are 65 or older.

Malibu's stats are:

The median income for a household in the city is $102,031, and the median income for a family is $123,293. Males have a median income of $100,000+ versus $46,919 for females. The per capita income for the city is $74,336. 7.6% of the population and 3.2% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 6.8% are under the age of 18 and 1.1% are 65 or older.

They should've done Malibu if they wanted to call it the REAL O.C.

But the show is a little amusing - I've only seen two episodes, but they're so damn catty. LOL. When LC and Lo were at the nail salon and Christina and whatever the other girl's name came in? Yikes.
[snapback]405725[/snapback]​

malibu is far too big and most of the people there are too fake.. it wouldn't be interesting to watch, even though mailibu is much more 'orange county' than laguna. they really should have went to la jolla, it's the most beautiful community in ca and the people are amazing.

Originally posted by hopeneverfades@Oct 31 2004, 10:39 PM
malibu is far too big and most of the people there are too fake.. it wouldn't be interesting to watch, even though mailibu is much more 'orange county' than laguna. they really should have went to la jolla, it's the most beautiful community in ca and the people are amazing.
[snapback]413177[/snapback]​

LOL, but then MTV wouldn't have had anything on its hands if they went to La Jolla...not enough drama for them to make a show. :P

I know - a bunch of my friends go to school at UCSD, and they all say it's great. :smile:

"like oh my gosh"
is all I think when I see this show
its ridiculous and its embarresing. I feel embarressd for them and they make others look bad.

Originally posted by *DrAma*@Nov 2 2004, 12:57 AM
"like oh my gosh"
is all I think when I see this show
its ridiculous and its embarresing. I feel embarressd for them and they make others look bad.
[snapback]414569[/snapback]​

They just make me laugh, it's so ridiculous. "but it's second semester senior year! F's aren't bad!" ...um, yes, dear, they are...lol. Sometimes some colleges will take away your spot if you get crap grades at the end of senior year...

or, "I love you"..."You're a sl*t!". temper temper, Stephen...lol...sometimes the drama on that show seems really cheesy - sometimes I can't believe that it actually happened, it's so catty. lol.

Originally posted by Misako@Nov 1 2004, 06:40 AM
LOL, but then MTV wouldn't have had anything on its hands if they went to La Jolla...not enough drama for them to make a show. :P

I know - a bunch of my friends go to school at UCSD, and they all say it's great. :smile:
[snapback]413463[/snapback]​

true, locals are much more laid back although everyone's in a huge uproar now because saks is leaving. haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->