US Harper's Bazaar July 2009 : Angelina Jolie / Doutzen Kroes by Terry Richardson

The editorial is lazy a shell; so I'm not buying the whole Angie is inspiring (which I don't even agree with ). IMo it's the recession and maybe it was cheaper to use a rehashed picture than to call Angie for a proper photoshoot?

Thanks, fer19dog for scanning Maryna and Yulia's ed. I've just given you karma for that.
Despite being a simple studio shot with a white background, I actually like it. Both girls look great in it.

i'm not sure the whole problem really stands in the suscribers/newsstands covers ...
but mostly in the "evaluation" of paparazzi shots ... what sort of things are they ?! rubbish ? kitsch ? ..... art ?

i remember W published Richard Prince candids portraits ... It was already a sort of 'controversy', but not that much as they were signed Richard Prince - was it Richard Prince, by the way ?

i remember Meisel already worked on this subject (not only with Nicole Richie red carpet but also with Hollywood issue) ... though Meisel placed the subject as a social satire, I always thought he also considered the photography and photographer role as an artist or simply an 'amateur' (basically anybody can become a paparazzi, while it's supposed tougher to be an 'artist-photographer') ...

I don't know if HB really thought about all these things ... But that questions fashion photography ...

on another note ... Don't the Fashion Labels take soooo much attention to celebs on redcarpert because it's 'free' publicity in the tabloids ??? why a shot couldn't be considered a fashion shot for a fashion magazine ?

thanks to tigerrouge for scanning this Diana cover ! Love it !

Last edited by a moderator:
US Harper's Bazaar July 09
"Fashion Takes Flight"
Model: Heidi Mount
Ph: peter Lindbergh

scanned by me

It's the second time that Peter Lindbergh photographs Heidi, and I think their collaboration is quite interesting. I don't really like that girl, her face is pretty odd, but here, I say "why not ?". Really like the third photo.

^I think shes a copy of Stam,thats the reason why Lindbergh loves her- he adores jessica

i think any angelina fan is going to buy the magazine only to throw it down in disgust. it has no new information about angelina. its just a hagiographic essay.

its already on the newsstand here. i flipped through it and the whole magazine is rather meager.

5 years ago, jane magazine put angelina on its cover (and there was no story on her inside) as she had won a poll about cover stars. that feels more honest than this HB misstep.

Well, the Lindbergh story is high quality - that's nice to see. Thank you fer19dog :flower:

HB keep putting out statements to justify their f*ckery.
Harper's Bazaar's official stance on their July 2009 cover fiasco? "In a recent Bazaar.com poll," explains a Bazaar spokesperson, "Our readers told us they are completely fascinated by Angelina Jolie. For us, it's about giving readers what they want, when they want it, so we contacted Naomi Wolf to explain the Angelina phenomenon. Her conclusion — that women not only want to be Angelina, but sleep with her, too — got all of us talking, and we decided to publish it immediately as our newsstand cover story for July. Harper's Bazaar innovated the two-cover concept in 2001, so for our subscribers, who desire a more fashion-forward image, we've got the next great supermodel, Doutzen Kroes, shot for us by Terry Richardson. Either way, the reader wins."
Amazing!

So based on some online poll nobody heard off they decided that women really, really wanted to shag Angelina so the only possible action was to buy a pap shot and get an 'intellectual' to write a fangirl article about that obscure object of desire because that's what HB readers want. RIGH NOW.

I find it amazing that they don't even pretend it's some kind of edgy concept or try and blame budget cut. They just outward admit they just wanted to cash in as quickly as possible on the current media obsession. They just give a big middle finger to their reader without a care in the world.
Whoever said a Jon & Kate cover is next was probably actually right.

PS: thank god the contents are rubbish.

^Yeah, this would only be acceptable if they also produced some artwork with what the women wanted to do while in bed with Angelina. :lol:

^Don't give W and Steven Klein any ideas please :lol:

I love the Lindberg ed.

a model whose face is definitely one to watch. It would be no surprise to me if she became one of the top models of our time
A model whose face is definitely one to watch? :ninja:You've got to be kidding me. How many years have Doutzen been working now? I'm not a fan of hers but still I find it :o that Glenda made her sound like some new girl :yuk: This phrase would be more appropriate if used on say, Sigrid. And Doutzen is already one of the top models of our time, at least according to US Vogue.:innocent:

^she's a topmodel for a very long time now, she's just not a supermodel because that status doesn't exist anymore. in my opinion, she's a celebrity as well but far from being as famous as Angelina.

per clo's request:flower:

Summer's sexiest looks
Model: Doutzen Kroes
PH: Terry Richardson

scanned by me

the last picture doesn't even go with the editorial with her arm's crossed like that..wtf..sports illustrated.
if there was just a little more facial range it would be a nice editorial. all i see is blank stares..

^haha yes, that picture is totally off. the whole edit is boring.

I totally agree with Mchunu!

Thanks for the scans, fer19dog.

i really want to be a fly on the walls at bazaar right now. i want to know how they're really reacting to all this backlash.

i actually like doutzen's editorial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->