US Harper's Bazaar July 2009 : Angelina Jolie / Doutzen Kroes by Terry Richardson

Jolie's looks best, and if they didn't use that bad font and banner.etc it would look even better, but still they should have booked her for a photoshoot.

Or used an unseen image from a photoshoot done recently for some other magazine in the Hearst empire. Bazaar would probably still be called out for not using something 100% fresh, but at least it would be an image from an actual sitting, and closer to the type of content that high-end magazines are supposed to provide to their readership.

Last edited by a moderator:
This cover really is the worst I've ever seen. Bazaar UK shot Angelina Jolie last December and it was stunning. Why didn't they just pick one of their shots up? All the other international editions did. What on earth does the reader get out of this cover? Zero.

I loove the subscribers cover :buzz: Doutzen looks hot but the stands cover :ninja:

Doutzen's cover is perfect! Too bad the editorial doesn't live up to the hype (Although I love the fact she looks like a blonde Catherine McNeil in her second shot!)
Can't wait to see Maryna!

Are you guys really blaming bazaar for not booking Angelina for a "real" photoshoot? I dunno, but this cover screams to me that Angelina backed off at the last second putting bazaar in a bad position. There could be no other celeb who can shoot at short notice (that woulda been embarassing on their part) hence putting a model like Doutzen who probably has less ego than your standard celeb and can come to a photoshoot in like, 5 minutes. Which is good because she looks better anyway. But really nobody knows what happened... and the powers that be in most magazines dictate that a celeb has to be on a cover, by hook or by crook, whether Terry Richardson/Peter Lindberg shoots it or some paparazzi. Sad, but true, and Doutzen looks nice and I wish she got both covers anyway... but then, well, let's get over it.

But covers coming asunder at the last minute happens to publications all the time, yet they still produce a finished product that's in keeping with their 'market level'.

Imagine someone running a magazine, who has only one idea for a cover topic, and who expects that one cover shoot to run smoothly... as an editor, disaster management is a big part of the job.

And there's also the matching article - did they really call Naomi Wolf at the last minute and pressure her like a freelancer to send in some emergency copy like, now. Or did they commission her a good time ahead and have it all planned out?

I do wonder if this is a very deliberate experiment to test how people react to a top magazine using a tabloid image for the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would they even do that? The cost of the photo shoot? Well, why not go all out and just have no editorials whatever...that would cut down costs too....just have stars wearing the runway looks the way Star does.

It's hard to say what Bazaar is up to, based on one issue with Angelina Jolie on the cover, which will sell regardless of whatever plan was behind it.

Here's to hoping people will get tired of it. But I guess after the first shock. Who cares? It's just another celeb cover looking like a celeb the way they always do....maybe it's actually nice to not have them all propped up, trying as hard as they might to look like models.

That's true. At least subscribers get a Doutzen cover, who herself looks like a celeb or was made to look like a celeb, I dunno. If I didnt know that she was a model, I would have thought that she was some up and coming starlet.

Few more from Doutzen's ed
b81hxh.jpg

2igm0cn.jpg

28wmhx5.jpg

2yxnfcj.jpg

source: bazaar.com

^I think Doutzen is gorgeous but my god! That ed is sending me straight into a boredom-induced coma.
I dunno, but this cover screams to me that Angelina backed off at the last second putting bazaar in a bad position. There could be no other celeb who can shoot at short notice (that woulda been embarassing on their part) hence putting a model like Doutzen who probably has less ego than your standard celeb and can come to a photoshoot in like, 5 minutes. Which is good because she looks better anyway. But really nobody knows what happened...
Yes, nobody knows what happened so let's blame Angelina' ego.
I love your logic!:lol:

Anyway, the issue of having to buy 'art' when photoshoots don't turn up OK has been addressed in the Fashionista article I posted earlier. It still doesn't justify or excuse using a f****** paparazzi shot.
Even if they were desperate, Doutzen was still a better choice, because in this case, the celeb cover isn't very likely to be a bigger draw than the model cover (no fancy pfotoshoot, no chit-chat, no new pictures, nothing).

Doutzen looks stunning in the ed but overall it's boring.

This is absolutely tragic. I remember when Bazaar was on par with Vogue, hell I remember when it surpassed Vogue in terms of creativity and edge. To see some tacky grocery store tabloid image on the cover is just distressing. What have things come to when THIS is the vision of fashion - what exactly is asperational or inspirational about an old paparazzi picture of an over-saturated celebrity? Its not as though this is something shot for the magazine or something special in any way. This is just disgraceful and lazy.
I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect but do you truly feel that this is a tragic, distressing, disgraceful situation? 'Fashion' has all sorts of ups and downs in the last few decades (remember heroin chic?)...this certainly isn't the worst I've ever seen. In some ways you have to work harder to appreciate the picture but it's not impossible. ALL magazine covers are shot within a studio with tons of makeup, photoshop, lighting, directing...this is just a quick shot of Angelina, without too much thought...in a way it's charming. In a way it's cheap. But a tragedy???

yea I get its a fashion forum and all but come on .. is this really the end of the world? Do you mean tragic in 'reality' sense or in 'fashion' senses because I can assure you most 'average' people could care less about the 'creativity' or 'ediginess' of a cover.. and they are their 'target' market..

Doutzen looks incredible in her editorial. I actually don't find it boring..
imho I think it's one of my favourite editorials from US HB in 2009.

^ and for me it's boring.

But I would love to have this issue with subscribers cover.

The average people... most certainly aren't their target market. But really... I wouldn't underestimate those average people. They just might know more than you think they do.

^I agree. Since most of the pieces shown in their trends or 'shopping' pages are designer items, their target market are those that can actually afford them.

Plus the 'average person' can definitely tell the difference between a candid shot and a studio shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->