US Vogue January 2020 : The 'Vogue Values of 2020' by Annie Leibovitz

I’m glad it isn’t a foldout cover.

So far my favorite is Ashley Graham’s cover. It really is just simply simple, but really gorgeous. Reminds me of the Vanity Fair editorial shot of Serena shot by Annie.

I’m eager to see the fourth and last cover. I really do hope it’s someone of color. Maybe another model mother. Like Liya Kebede.

Maybe Cardi with her daughter. Or the fit and fabulous Halle Berry with her kids.

Dont leave the possibility of Kylie with Stormi

the article on WWD specifically states 'Vogue Values' will be '...standing for the values of diversity, responsibility and respect for individuals, communities and for our natural environment.'
Odd to state 'standing for diversity' in their pledge and demonstrating no diversity while making the pledge?!
derp de derp derp...:confused:

this was actually my point, stating that Vogue is a force of change however 75% of a multi cover that starts their new ‘Diversity decade’ is white women, regardless who the last cover is?

I personally have seen a huge shift in American Vogue and the amount of diversity in all aspects, LGBT, Women and men of colour from all backgrounds and championing new photographers and younger generations of artists and more interesting and new celebrities in 2019 alone, in a much subtler and more genuine way than Edward’s forced British Vogue.

let’s also not forget that diversity doesn’t just mean black models or women, it’s people of any race or cultural heritage that need to be included in a ‘Diversity campaign’.

I’m very intrigued to see who is the final cover. Michelle and her daughters are a nice option however she’s already had an ‘Annie Leibovitz, fresh, green, natural cover’ which is the direction these three have gone in so far.

A30BEA9D-7AFF-420A-B335-1B4EB5C067B6.jpeg
Vogue.com

Last edited:
Wow, I need to look at my copy of Michelle's cover again because I certainly don't recall her face looking so odd. Like it's a painting or badly photoshopped???

Anyway, a Michelle cover would be very much welcome from my side. Can just imagine the headlines it will make, :rofl:.
Unlike many on here, I don't really think Vogue needs to prove themselves on the matter of racial diversity because they've done a far better job than most over the past decade. To the point that it felt authentic and not like an agenda. I'm inclined to give them a pass on that.
It is the motherhood agenda that I find more troublesome. These covers seem as though they were in response to the dwindling birth rate in most first world countries across the globe. If you want to emulate 'Vogue Values', breed, breed, breed. Inez van Lamsweerde is probably tapdancing over these covers wherever she is. Even if the last cover will feature the stunning Tracee Ellis Ross, the postergirl for single women in their 40s, she'll still be outnumbered. And in that sense, these covers will actually be disappointing and faintly toxic.
I bet Jezebel.com is waiting with bated breath for that last cover to drop before they'll put their poison pen to work.

Diversity includes black, asians, latinos, arabs, indian people and more. The world is not black and white only (I'm latino and proud of that!). The same for sexuality, age, shape and religion. It makes me mad when diversity means one thing, but it means more than that. It makes me angry when I only see one type of person on the cover of any magazine. Anna is not my favorite Vogue editor, but to be fair she embraces diversity since the 90s. Ashley is a plus size model, Stella is not so young... I don't see no diversity here. But I hope that the last cover is a person from another etnicity. Sorry for my bad english here.

Is Michelle Obama a "creative force" though? And she's on the cover of People atm.

As much as I thought Stella's cover was beautiful, Ashley Graham's has won me over completely, my new favorite out the three we've seen so far! I've always rooted for Ashley to score the cover of American Vogue solo, and what a gorgeous cover to mark the occasion. Completely faultless!

Being that we have seen motherhood in pregnancy, infanthood, and early life, I wonder if next is the relationship with a teenager and Cindy AND Kaia would share the cover. I doubt it, but it crossed my mind.

Reactions: KoV
I think Kaia with Cindy is more than likely. Maybe that's why they are delaying the reveal so much: so that it gets its own separate hype.

It is the motherhood agenda that I find more troublesome. These covers seem as though they were in response to the dwindling birth rate in most first world countries across the globe. If you want to emulate 'Vogue Values', breed, breed, breed. Inez van Lamsweerde is probably tapdancing over these covers wherever she is. Even if the last cover will feature the stunning Tracee Ellis Ross, the postergirl for single women in their 40s, she'll still be outnumbered. And in that sense, these covers will actually be disappointing and faintly toxic.
I bet Jezebel.com is waiting with bated breath for that last cover to drop before they'll put their poison pen to work.

You are not alone, I find the motherhood agenda extremely problematic. I'm slightly repulsed by all of this.

On the purely aesthetic, I kind of like Stella's cover, although the focus on matching hair colours makes them look like the Brady Bunch.

Hate the other two, Ashley's cover looks like a red carpet picture and the belly "support" is just :rolleyes:.

I’m down for a Kaia Gerber moment, but Anna Wintour would be extremely late to the party if Cindy Crawford were included, since the mother/daughter have already shared the cover of Vogue twice before (first for Vogue Paris and then for Vogue Netherlands).

Vogue's Instagram just referred to Stella a "one of the few designers" to have appeared on a cover, contradicting her "first ever" claim on her own Instagram.

What if the other cover will be Maria Grazia, and the daughter she so loves to design for? LOL.

I'm really amazed at how awful the editorial preview for each cover looks. And to think it was shot by America's greatest living photographer!?! Stella's kids are tucked behind the bushes and the positioning of the subjects is just off, there appears to be both artificial and natural light in Greta's shot, and I'm just going to zip it about Ashley's shot because it's actually perfect for her and her husband's desperation to be a 'star couple'.

Vogue's Instagram just referred to Stella a "one of the few designers" to have appeared on a cover, contradicting her "first ever" claim on her own Instagram.

Well Victoria did appear on the cover back when she was Posh Spice but before she was a designer. So that might count as a technicality? I can’t think of anyone else. Celebs with “fashion lines” maybe? It’s probably why Vogue was pretty vague.

^ Although there is also Rihanna though, no? I mean her last cover she was wering both her own clothes, and her own make up brand!

Why on earth are they delaying the fourth cover, lol? It makes no sense to me! Unless it's someone totally huge, or a big moment for them that will get a lot of traction in the media! Michelle sure would fit that part!

I love all the covers, but the Vogue Values nonsense is reading like such a gimmick, and they don't need it! I actually think apart from what Edward is doing at UK Vogue, Wintour has really been presenting, good diverse content in Vogue for the last few years now!

Lovely & great covers, finally than Leibovitz shot beautiful photos, but it's getting boring than any edition of Vogue sell the "Family issue".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->