US Vogue May 2019 : Kim Kardashian West by Mikael Jansson

Weak... Kendall was on the cover of US Bazaar having water poured on her head so might as well have Kim on the cover of Vogue having water poured on her head.
Last month must not have sold well to already have this issue out.

It is a clever choice to have such a controversial celebrity on the cover of VUS. But with a finished product looks like this? Anna Wintour should get suspended. Looks extremely cheesy

is this the trophy wife year for US Vogue? What kind of message are they giving to girls? I'm so happy that this edition doesn't sell in my country. Edward is killing it with his Vogue, and Anna is killing people's brain with her's. Bravo, you made it again.

You have a whole day for a shoot like that and you can only identify a SINGLE angle/pose that works for print? Now that is a bad sign.

When I read that Kim K was the cover model I rolled my eyes so hard, but honestly I don’t mind it at all. I could have done without the wet hair. I HATE the wet hair look unless you are by the pool or ocean.

We ALL have to ADMIT that this shoot and cover is 100% better than Annie’a Photoshop failed April 2014 issue (which was suppose to be Kate Upton’s 2nd cover).

Only grip is it doesn’t look much like Mikael’s photography at all!!

Plus side Rupaul get a spread in US Vogue!! It’s OVERDUE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually this is not the worst cover from the recent times of Vogue US. I love the oozes of sensuality from the cover. Dont care of Kim, but she looks stunning on the cover

I LOVE THIS COVER.
I love Kim, she has done amazing things with her brand and taken her entire family with her. She moves so many units on the newsstands and is doing really amazing work with prison reform. Love her, and ABSOLUTELY love that she is continuing the legacy of her father, entering into law. This is beyond. So proud that she EARNED this cover.

Wait, did Anna tell to the world that Kim Kardashian is camp? I don't know just saying :buzz:

Questionable cover subjects seem to be Anna's MO this year. That being said, the photography is quite arresting. I would like a different expression, though. She looks confused as if she doesn't know how to do sexy and ethereal at the same time. A slight open mouth would've made a difference.

“So Kim, the narrative here is you’ll be in the shower, in your ball gown, and then you’ll be stood in your kitchen, in your other ball gown, still wet from the shower but also watching the kids in their open top vehicles. We’re gonna show how a working mother can have it all.”

Let’s take Kim out of this and judge the cover on its own merits. The cover is boring. The styling is lazy.

Magazines are trying everything to keep up with the instagram generation yet style influencers are creating images daily that are far more inspiring and aspirational than this.

I’m old enough to remember seeing Oprah on the cover of Vogue and thinking “Holy f*ck! That’s oprah!” That’s what Vogue used to do.

I'm here for the comments lol
I might buy this issue, shes inspirational.
But I honestly think Kylie could have done the cover after forbes thing.

I never like any styling with big names including this one.
Jennifer Aniston stylings are also always as boring as it can be.

I think Harpers Bazaar is the best with star stylings

I think it's really interesting that Kim is the May cover subject, knowing that usually the cover star relates somehow to the MET Gala theme. The theme is "camp", which is all about exaggeration and not taking yourself seriously, and here we have someone who takes herself and her image very seriously. I don't think it's accidental; it's Vogue and Kim playing along to the theme in a subtle and ironic way. They could have gone with an obvious theater kid dressed to the nines, but they chose to go the alternative route.

As for the cover, I love it. The wet hair and the filled lips bug me a bit, but Kim looks regal and beautiful. And for those saying Kim is a trophy wife.. how? She and her family are the definition of being an entrepreneur in entertainment in this decade. They learned to play the game so well that they warped the rules to their advantage and made a sh*t load of money from it. Sure, they're tacky but they deserve all the credit for being successful businesswomen.

What magazine doesn't want money?? That's their main purpose for existing.
Let's be honest here. They chose Kim because they know it will sell a lot, a lot more than if it were any other celebrities on the cover.
Why do you think Bella is on the cover of Vogue Greece ?? Or Gigi on Vogue Czechoslovakia ? :rolleyes:

Maybe I have one example for a Vogue that doesn't want too much money in may : Vogue Poland with Charlotte Gainsbourg :bounce:

I'm sure he meant in such a blatant way, which is what the choice of Kim Kardashian, OG on American Vogue, after all these years really illustrates. It's like whoever they originally wanted called in sick. We all know Vogue kept her at arm's length after all the babies, the beauty line, the continued fashion validation. And now, when nobody is out looking for her, here she is. It's just too odd.

Exactly. The editorial itself is passable, I suppose. Like Mikel said, a mash-up of Testino and Leibovitz. But the styling is brazenly lazy. It looks to me like Kanye was involved here. It reeks of his brand of overblown minimalism. She may not be wearing actual Yeezy, but this colour scheme is all him. And considering how disappointed he was with Carine and Gan's HB shoot, I'm sure he wanted to be involved every step of the way with this very important Vogue cover. Like your usual egomaniac. Glad they didn't use the burgundy dress shot for the cover.

What is happening with Mikael Jansson though? Is this what Vogue-level success does to your creativity? This cover looks like it was shot by M&M, yet the splashed water was done better by Solve Sundsbo for Kendall's HB cover, and the editorial is pure Testino meets Leibovitz. That's only this cover, we've not even gotten to last month's group cover which also looked like a badly copied Leibovitz job, or his equally questionable work for British and French Vogue. Someone's clearly in desperate need of a creative rehab just to get his signature back!

Thanks for defending me Benn98 :flower:

wonder if the bucket of water is always her idea... it just makes things seem even smellier for me.

only found out about this after reading she’s studying law haha kanye has such a presidential project (and never underestimate the US to just go for it).

I didn't even realize she is wearing Chanel on the cover....
what a waste!
u got the best couture house in the world, and a fishing net is all you wanna use??

I didn't even realize she is wearing Chanel on the cover....
what a waste!
u got the best couture house in the world, and a fishing net is all you wanna use??

I didn't know either, hahaha! Thought it was Dior or Ferragamo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->