US Vogue March 2019 : Hailey & Justin Bieber by Annie Leibovitz

Thought the editorial would save us but its even worse! At least she tried to model

What is the age demographic for Vogue? I’m in my forties and have zero interest in these two.

This would’ve worked for Teen Vogue, People or Rolling Stone.

This looks like 45 year old mom from the suburbs of LA posing with her bad boy son who keeps getting suspended from school for selling Xanax.

It's not fair to win the thread with the first comment! SO GOOD.

Wintour obviously cares more about sales than she does being credible.

As unappealing as the photos turned out to be (not a fan of his at all, but she is capable of taking better photos than this) I don't quite understand why the outrage is so strong. This has been rumored for months, and since when is Vogue putting a pop star on the cover or a socialite/model on the cover such a scandal? They've been doing it for decades. Vogue's a business and if you want to stay relevant you need sales and social media attention to stay at the top. I don't like the photos, but I think the reason they went so (relatively) low-brow with them is because they knew they'd be showing up all over instagram and twitter and talk shows. Numbers matter, and I'm sure Anna doesn't give an eff about these two, in fact I suspect she dislikes them both. But advertising is why this magazine is still being printed and getting this exclusive was a good business decision. Zayn and Gigi, Kim and Kanye, even Melania Trump had a Vogue cover in 2005. It will be ok! The number of awful people featured in Vogue, people who've done terrible things in politics, photographers who routinely sexually assaulted models, etc. makes it hard for me to be too upset that some not-that-classy celebrities nagged a cover.

They won me over a bit with the interview, enjoyed hearing about Justin's struggles and the expression of his vulnerability. It sounds like Hailey is a very stabilizing force in his life, I can understand their connection.

Reactions: MON
Horrible the cover & main editorial. That is only i say about this.

They won me over a bit with the interview, enjoyed hearing about Justin's struggles and the expression of his vulnerability. It sounds like Hailey is a very stabilizing force in his life, I can understand their connection.

Agreed, loved the interview which was a coup to get Justin to open up, and the writer didnt do the same treatment of the tortured child star syndrome. Nor was there a major product to sell. It was fresh, fair and interesting to read.

This guy was the worst thing that happened to the music industry in this decade, as twilight for the movies, 50 shades to the books and Kardashians for the TV and fashion. Pure trash :sick: I don't get why the people has a terrible taste now.

The interview was surprisingly earnest from his side. Wouldn't have read it if I didn't see your post. And maybe she has evolved as a stablising force in his life, but I never got the idea at first. Certainly not when he acted so bizarre towards the end last year, and when there was suspicion of 'that which we do not speak of' on here. Maybe between then and now, it changed. It's possible.

Oh and this......does NOT sound normal to me at all:

'But the configuration shifts according to Justin’s restless maneuverings: No sooner has he settled in than he jumps up to do a little jig; he climbs over the sofa, squeezes between Hailey and the bolster and enfolds her in his arms; he spins his body around and puts his head in her lap, then jumps up again, bathes her neck in kisses, and whispers endearments (“Guess what? You’re amazing”) before jolting himself out of his reverie.'

But this article should really have been retitled to 'The Rehabilitation of Justin Bieber', and the cover edited to show his face more prominent. Because besides her fretting over how public intrigue, and trying to come up with ways on how to window-dress that going forward, she's just about a mystique throughout the copy. Something which you read of, but don't see. Other than how good she is for him. Absolutely no mention about what she actually benefits from this relationship with a damaged person, other than playing Florence Nightingale to help him adapt to this new life of sober habits.

We've just about slipped all the way back to 50s with these two.

Last edited:
Absolutely no mention about what she actually benefits from this relationship with a damaged person, other than playing Florence Nightingale to help him adapt to this new life of sober habits.

We've just about slipped all the way back to 50s with these two.

Interesting take, but I disagree with that assessment. He seems to absolutely adore her, so what she gains from the relationship is love, a best friend that shares her faith, and someone who seems to be committed to making it work. He also seems to balance her tendency to take herself to seriously.

I have to give credit where it's due, that is truly one of the better celeb profiles (although he is more of the focus instead of her), especially for Vogue that live off their puff celeb cover pieces. This is actually good, still zero interest in them, although i wish them luck, and i still hate this cover/ed. But that is a good article!

Anyone who puts their faith in a Vogue profile... you could always go back and read the various ones about the wives of certain men, and you'll be reminded of the power of a well-funded PR campaign.

Of course, the gap between reality and the world conjured up on the pages of Vogue is what we don't want to know about, when we buy the damn thing. We want the fantasy, packaged by the experts.

But if something happens to Bieber in the year ahead, these 'wifey' covers (especially those POP ones) will come to represent a new nadir in fashion mags. It won't be kitsch, it won't be cool, it won't be cute.

The cover subjects are arguably more suited to a magazine like People but I still find the image itself rather beautiful, love the styling on Hailey and can appreciate (once again) just how old-school American Vogue the cover feels.

Going off some previews via Instagram, there’s Gigi Hadid by Daniel Jackson inside as well as Amber Valletta and Gemma Ward by Zoe Ghertner.

There's also an editorial shot by Angelo Pennetta, featuring Paloma Elsesser, Adut and Vittoria. I've seen some shots on Instagram. It should be called "Go west"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->