US Vogue May 2021 : Amanda Gorman by Annie Leibovitz

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by JPineapple, Apr 7, 2021.

1. tjasmine

tjasmine Active Member

The 2nd cover is so stunning. Wow. Delighted to see Amanda on the cover!! :heart:

2. versustito

versustito Well-Known Member

amazing cover´s

3. avonlea002

avonlea002 Well-Known Member

Both covers are weak. Backstage shots at best. I would have never guessed that Annie was the photographer. It's as if she forgot to send the pictures to retouching team.

Frida and TianCouture like this.
  4. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

Uh....yeah...annoying is an understatement. She actually rhymed "poet" with "know it" once...my jaw dropped. Had she never heard the common playground insult hurled at someone about being "a poet who didn't even know it?"

liberty33r1b, Frida, Xone and 3 others like this.
  5. aracic

aracic Moderator

Yeah, now if only she applied that skill to gathering solid talents around herself to produce editorials inside that are actually worth looking at, cause if I see another at-home story or a mish-mash of photographers and settings thrown together randomly so help me...

Urban Stylin, Starry, slayage and 3 others like this.
  6. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

Just FYI this is quite an international forum so the bulk of us wouldn't really get too involved in the inauguration of another country's leader just as you may not know political details in many of our countries :smile:

Anyway absolutely stunning shots. Colours are a tiny bit off but it is really the best cover in a long time!

Lalippity, Razjel, perhydrol and 5 others like this.
  7. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Well, just FYI the inauguration was all over the news here in the Netherlands. With lots of (well deserved) attention for Amanda. Including a lot of newspaper articles. So American or not American: some people know her, some people don’t.

Fiona3, MON and axiomatic like this.
  8. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

Let’s not pretend that American politics aren’t more widely followed and covered in the news and in media, globally, than just about any other country....

Urban Stylin and MON like this.
  9. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

Well, although I’m sure most people worldwide, will know who the President of the United States is and maybe even the VP, I’m not sure this extends to the girl who read a poem at his inauguration. Let’s be honest, she’s not on the cover because she’s Maya Angelou, she’s on the cover because she’s photogenic.

10. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

Well, her appearance and performance at the inauguration was probably mentioned on every fashion-related media, was all over social media, netted her nearly 4 million Instagram followers almost overnight, has been viewed tens of millions of times on YouTube, got her talk show appearances, a Time Magazine cover, etc. I’m not saying everyone does or needs to know who she is, I just find the dismissal of her impact (“just a small feature of one country’s political event”, essentially) to be kind of absurd. American politics are consumed globally, and she was a standout (especially in terms of social media coverage) at a massively viewed and globally significant event.

Tauriel, Fiona3, Urban Stylin and 5 others like this.
  11. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Great. She's seems like such a lovely person and made such an impact on me after the Inauguration. Funny how it's almost like Annie reclaimed her style from Ethan, as if to say 'this is how you do it!'. Really good images from her for the first time in a long time.

The irony in the 'Fashion we missed you' cover line is a bit much though. Anna, you only have yourself to blame for throwing the baby out with the bathwater at your publication :rolleyes:.

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

She's only what, 21/22? You can still sense some naivety (I mean, going to Gigi Hadid for advice, ANY advice???) despite the fact that she's so talented. Yes, that's what I said TALENTED. :cool:

MON and 1018am like this.
  13. oaklee91

oaklee91 Active Member

In love with the colors. Just sublime!!

crmsnsnwflks likes this.
  14. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

Or telling James Corden he's her 'favorite human being ever created' :ninja:. She's 23, btw.. I think it's more celebrity culture than naivety at play here. And don't get me wrong, I have no reason to doubt she's talented.. I haven't read her any of her books, just the poetry that has been publicized and.. just not the style I'm into.

I suppose dsmag's point is about the good ol' center of the universe complex that's common among Americans, but, I'll just say that this seems like a continual complaint in US Vogue threads "does she merit a cover? never heard of her here in Italy!". Just like Vogue Arabia will feature characters that are relevant to their society and that most of us have never heard of, American Vogue is no different and needs to be able to communicate to potential readers (the kind that see this while waiting to pay for their groceries..) by featuring people that they might know not necessarily because they're huge international stars, but through domestic.. hype.

Now, entering pedantic territory here but as someone who's binged on the news in pretty much every continent, I've (loosely) concluded every country seems to harbor some obsession or irrational fear/interest/grudge/rivalry towards another country, usually their neighbors, and they will cover that far more than any other country (the US included). Obviously the elections of a powerful country like Germany or the US gains significant coverage, but the inauguration? I don't think that is something a national television network can afford to broadcast at its entirety in most countries, it's too expensive, not to mention mega cringey unless you are from that country yourself (what non-Brazilian person could stomach a 2-hour bombastic, chauvinist and pentecoastal-ish event featuring a bunch of Brazilians singing and screaming 'whoa woo woo Brazil, the land of the GREATEST!!'? ..exactly). So I wouldn't expect anyone outside of America to be familiar with one of the participants in the ceremony, but I would be surprised if someone with an interest in American Vogue is not at least vaguely up to date with American pop culture.

Piet Retief and Bertrando3 like this.
  15. danawokarrr

danawokarrr Member

This. I have American friends who have no idea who she is, let alone those from other countries. Good for her for landing this cover though.

16. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

I don't know how you're suppoused to be taken seriously as a poet, a poet speaking for the people no less, all the while you're mainly known for wearing expensive designer clothing.

Maybe I'm just very old-fashioned but I think it makes for a very confusing message.

arabchic likes this.
  17. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

I find it amusing that some people are a bit delusional about how far American politics spread.
    Everyone I know literally only just knows that Biden is the president now and Kamala is VP, they give zero f*cks about anything else going on there.
    The US is surely more covered in the media than any other country, but let’s not make it the center of the world on a, once again, international forum, this isn’t Reddit.

18. Mody

Mody Active Member

It is a very nice cover and she looks lovely.
    Just one be pure fashion sense the overall quality posted so far are very nice. A good jump back from last month whatever.
    But I think it is rather ironic to feature political figures in USA on the cover of a fashion magazines nowadays without realizing that the land is still plagued not just the virus but many other social issues. People are talking about what Rolex the president was wearing or what brand Kamala was wearing and what dress this girl worn. It just doesn’t sit well with me. Like honestly, no one sees the irony that they can have those thousand dollars splashed on those items while a lot of people can’t even afford rent or food anymore?

19. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Her message isn't invalidated or weakened by the sole fact that she's able to wear expensive designer clothing.

IMO, her success, her being able to speak during the Inauguration, her being able to wear designer clothes ++ is part of her message — that the missing link between the black community and success is opportunity.

I'm sure millions of the people she aims to speak to and for are inspired by this cover. Hers is a story of success.

20. ThatDudeOverTher

ThatDudeOverTher Active Member

If this isn't the most American statement, I don't know what is...

Anyway, the covers are nice and I actually prefer the first one. Guess I'm just glad that a young woman is being heralded for her talent and not because she's from a famous family or is famous for no other reason than being famous.

Lalippity, anaa lpz, slayage and 2 others like this.