US Vogue Special Edition April 2016 : Kendall Jenner by Mario Testino

My goodness, some of the comments are coming off as personal. What has Kendall and the fashion industry done to some of ya'll?

Well for starters this is a forum, people are supposed to discuss things extensively, ideally not redundant stuff but at least it's a debate.

Second, you find odd that there is criticism. Personally I think what's odd is that criticism is simply reduced to "y'all hatin'!". People should be able to question everything, particularly when it's related to consumerism and the way things are marketed and what are the motives behind the use of a certain person. The Kardashian topic is of course an exhausted one but it does say a lot about our current culture so you can't blame people for being vocal about it.. it'd be more strange if they didn't and just swallowed whatever the media tells them to, but yeah even though I actually find this girl pretty (prettier than others out there for sure), I think that if someone's trying to sell a new line and hires Melania Trump (an exaggerated example just so it makes sense), it should make you question what that person is trying to say or the lengths they're going to in order to make money. So yeah, it's a pretty valid discussion.

And finally you talk about the industry giants like it's the music industry... fashion, despite the armies of interns and assistants of assistants and factories, is actually quite a small world, the "giants" as you call them are 1 or 3 and it only takes dangling a bill in front of them, so that corny notion of 'they saw something... a presence that fills the room, a spark, she just had something'.. that's fashion cosmical bs to make the transaction less mundane, not real..

Last edited by a moderator:
They should just give the Kardashians their own magazine at this point. I won't buy it, but it might keep them out of the other magazines.

.......so that corny notion of 'they saw something... a presence that fills the room, a spark, she just had something'.. that's fashion cosmical bs to make the transaction less mundane, not real..

Ha! That's perhaps the only interesting aspect of this cover - it shows how fashion marketing evolved. Vogue sounds so brazen and confident as to proclaim that her major trump card is 64 million followers. Almost as though they wanted to say '64mil followers cannot be wrong...', thereby not only passing authority to a nameless mass, but also 'honest marketing' in full force. And as I recall, Spanish Vogue pulled exactly the same move last year with that blogger girl. They really should be applauded for trying so ingeniously to spin straw into gold.

I suppose years of being hoodwinked by magazines has conditioned me so much that I've actually grown resistant to these 'it-girls'. Especially when their worth can hardly ever be defined. But I imagine for every one of the 'haters', there has to be someone out there who'll appreciate this.

I remember watching that Anna W. documentary
Anna complaining this is not good, that is not good...nope
That one is not good enough for the magazine...etc.

Kendall can not pose at all

This magazine is a total joke now!!

Go away and retire!

Actually Kendall's story is not different from most models. A lot of people do not even know her story and the people responsible for her rise in fashion. People still think Kris Jenner manages her fashion career. Anna had a chance to give Kendall a cover and then write a great article about her career and link to the rise of "social media" and how it is changing the world of modeling and fashion in general but she missed ...

Kendall was signed to Wilhelmina agency since 2009 and she did not get to walk for Marc Jacobs until 5 years later ... it had nothing to do with her name or family connections. If anything they were/are obstacles for her in modeling. Kris had set up for her to become the next Kim... look at the work she was doing then and she marketed Kendall with Kylie (like the previous 3 sisters)...

She should thank her lucky stars that James/Bitton/K.Grand took an interest in her ... she would still be walking for Sherri Hill at LA fashion...

The missing detail here is that Kim didn't become involved with Kanye until 2012 or so which was also around the time he was trying to break into HF himself as a designer.

It was Kanye who was friends with Riccardo, Anna, Marc Jacobs, etc. which opened the door for Kim with Kris and Kendall in tow.

Her story isn't like that of Joan Smalls or any other model who was working for years as a catalog model before getting a big break.

Indeed Kendall is lucky... that her family came into greater connections in the fashion industry via her sister's romantic relationship that propelled her career from LA to Paris.

^But why does she have to improve? They keep giving her covers, eds, and campaigns without improving...what I'm trying to say is, what is her incentive for improving? Nothing! When everything falls in your lap, you don't have to worry about things like improvement.

If I were to believe that modeling was one's life ambition (or just a career one took seriously) then I would think that evolving as a model and being viewed as skilled would be something to strive towards.

However, since I never thought that was the case here, I completely agree. There is no real incentive to improve when plum jobs will come your way without having to do so.

If I were to believe that modeling was one's life ambition (or just a career one took seriously) then I would think that evolving as a model and being viewed as skilled would be something to strive towards.

However, since I never thought that was the case here, I completely agree. There is no real incentive to improve when plum jobs will come your way without having to do so.

I remember in one episode of the Kardashians, Kim took Kendall to a modelling class with this very good tutor and Kendall was just walking shabbily and laughing and making a joke of it all, eventually the instructor had to say, when you want to take this seriously call me, quite pathetic. She's still pathetic.

I feel like the Kardashians and Kendall didn't become such important fashion people until Kim married Kanye, who just happens to have a lot of connections with the fashion world and is friends with some big designers. I really think that the Kardashians were at first hated by the fashion world but when Kim married Kanye he managed to ease that family into the fashion world using his friendly connections. If you look at some of the brands that favor Kendall the most, like Givenchy, you'll notice that the creative director is a really good friend of Kanye. I've always wondered if Kimye ended what would happen to Kendall and the Kardashians' place in fashion

I remember in one episode of the Kardashians, Kim took Kendall to a modelling class with this very good tutor and Kendall was just walking shabbily and laughing and making a joke of it all, eventually the instructor had to say, when you want to take this seriously call me, quite pathetic. She's still pathetic.

And I remember in one episode of the Kardashians, Kendall made a model book/portfolio of photos of herself, and showed to her mom and dad, saying she wanted to be a model. So she want this since she was a little girl.

I did watch this episode of the ''runway class'' kim took her. She was indeed acting immature, but you cant take that out of context. If you watched the episode, you know why she acted like that.

I feel like the Kardashians and Kendall didn't become such important fashion people until Kim married Kanye, who just happens to have a lot of connections with the fashion world and is friends with some big designers. I really think that the Kardashians were at first hated by the fashion world but when Kim married Kanye he managed to ease that family into the fashion world using his friendly connections. If you look at some of the brands that favor Kendall the most, like Givenchy, you'll notice that the creative director is a really good friend of Kanye. I've always wondered if Kimye ended what would happen to Kendall and the Kardashians' place in fashion

But shouldn't they at least have some integrity? Tisci and the rest? I remember the first Givenchy campaign that Kendall did with other models and she stuck out like a sore thumb. The girl can't model. She has no talent. Shouldn't Riccardo Tisci have enough integrity to say, sorry she's not a model, she's not going to tarnish this brand? Getting jobs through connections and friends is how my backwoods third world country of mine works, is this how the Haute Couture in Paris works too?

And I remember in one episode of the Kardashians, Kendall made a model book/portfolio of photos of herself, and showed to her mom and dad, saying she wanted to be a model. So she want this since she was a little girl.

I did watch this episode of the ''runway class'' kim took her. She was indeed acting immature, but you cant take that out of context. If you watched the episode, you know why she acted like that.

And why was it? And what is your point?

Love it when people make judgements on her character without knowing her. It's hilarious, genuinely laugh out loud stuff.

I like this for a number of reasons. 1) because I like disagreeing with all of you. 2) it's actually really nice. I probably won't be able to get ahold of it--and the exchange rate and import duties and whatnot are frightening.

Good for her. I hope people put her on the cover of every magazine because eventually you'll all shut up and stop spewing the same garbage each and every time. Bravo, Kendall! Bravo, Kendall's manager! As someone aptly pointed out, your privilege is not your fault.

The show is scripted as hell, I don't know why you guys are bringing it to belittle Kendall. She wasn't ready to do runway work because she was too shy. If I was her agent/manager, I would have told her to put her things together and do it. Sometimes you got to face your fears especially when it can help you reach your dream.
I just want to add that Cara opened doors for her and all the instagirls.
Kendall's story is different than any other model because it wouldn't have mattered if she didn't book anything in HF, she was killing it with her commercial work. She would still book jobs left and right. That can't be said for other models. When she isn't booked as a model she is booked as a Jenner. Here's the difference.
Kris is close to her agent so I wouldn't claim that she doesn't have a say in Kendall's modelling career.
You guys are giving them the reaction they were looking for. This special issue wasn't great to begin with, only two pictures are "decent" for such an issue. Mario Testino is a lazy photographer and Anna Wintour is a desperate follower, this combined with Kendall's weak modelling skills equals a desperate call for attention. The other editorial is as bad as Mario's.
I won't tell where I read it (it's easy to find anyway) but some reliable insiders said not a single professional in the industry (at least from what they know) think she is a good model. That says a lot about the state of the industry right now. Even in the interviews, her backers seem so far up her a*s it's annoying. Like, why don't you say the truth? She's a social media star and has a ton sh*t of fans who would do anything to look like her and live her fake model life (yes she's selling them a fake model life) so we like her for that. She can sell anything, her fans will buy it in a blink of an eye just to be like her because she's selling/representing a dream life for them. Little do they know her life is made up of lies and superficiality, sad.

People are allowed to give their opinion even if it's the same every time. I know they are completely different and there's no comparison possible between the two but what if was Trump we were talking about? (don't hate me for that, I'm only trying to make a point). Imagine Trump winning the presidential elections and people hating/criticising him during four years, would you find that annoying?

I like this for a number of reasons. 1) because I like disagreeing with all of you.
One of the most sincere arguments I've seen in this section, ever. I've always seen antagonism for the sake of antagonism slash the attention that brings and some really need and it seems people go to tremendous lengths to avoid admitting to it, even creating arguments that almost stand for themselves, only to be thrown down by the 'opinions are garbage and everyone should stfu'.. for once we have someone that may be unconsciously even rebelling against his own condition. And that's a great thing...

This may sound shocking coming evidently from the no-opinions adulation-only school of social media but succumbing to insults towards membership for discussing things in what this place was created for (discussion) used to be considered community disruption/grounds for warning. Not that they're common these days but pretty sure the system is still on.. something to keep in mind for those that did think this was a mysteriously lengthy comments section of a digital newsstand, lol.

Love it when people make judgements on her character without knowing her. It's hilarious, genuinely laugh out loud stuff.

I like this for a number of reasons. 1) because I like disagreeing with all of you. 2) it's actually really nice. I probably won't be able to get ahold of it--and the exchange rate and import duties and whatnot are frightening.

Good for her. I hope people put her on the cover of every magazine because eventually you'll all shut up and stop spewing the same garbage each and every time. Bravo, Kendall! Bravo, Kendall's manager! As someone aptly pointed out, your privilege is not your fault.

Thank you. People will make stuff up just to make her look bad. Look, Kendall is not the best model in photos but she is also not the worst. She has a great walk, which has improved immensely from her first show at Marc Jacobs. Look at Kendall at Dior and Elie Saab last season, she was great.
As for her editorial work, I see nothing but improvement. The studio editorial with Mario was good. It wasn't great but Testino is not putting out stellar work anymore. Her last editorial with I&V for vogue was excellent. She is improving, given Kendall another 1-2 year of consistent work, she will be able to compete with the best of them. There are so many models right now, I feel like they are just trying to improve to stay in the game. Why is she the only one being criticize every freaking time?

Also, Kanye and Kim have been a couple on and off for many years (since the years she was dating Reggie Bush). So, if Kendall success is due to Kanye than she would have landed Givenchy at age 15.

Lastly, the Brands that support Kendall are those that are close to Katie Grand and Bitton plus Karl... and a few people she has managed to impressed like Diane, Kors, Wang, etc...

popcorn-blank.gif

michaeljacksonpictures.com

What a tragic point of view to have.

Thank you. People will make stuff up just to make her look bad. Look, Kendall is not the best model in photos but she is also not the worst. She has a great walk, which has improved immensely from her first show at Marc Jacobs. Look at Kendall at Dior and Elie Saab last season, she was great.
As for her editorial work, I see nothing but improvement. The studio editorial with Mario was good. It wasn't great but Testino is not putting out stellar work anymore. Her last editorial with I&V for vogue was excellent. She is improving, given Kendall another 1-2 year of consistent work, she will be able to compete with the best of them. There are so many models right now, I feel like they are just trying to improve to stay in the game. Why is she the only one being criticize every freaking time?

Also, Kanye and Kim have been a couple on and off for many years (since the years she was dating Reggie Bush). So, if Kendall success is due to Kanye than she would have landed Givenchy at age 15.

Lastly, the Brands that support Kendall are those that are close to Katie Grand and Bitton plus Karl... and a few people she has managed to impressed like Diane, Kors, Wang, etc...

So you are basically saying that she wasn't a good model at all but she was still given the greatest, most demanding catwalks in the world as her practice ground so that she could improve? And you think that is ok??

You think that if a model with Alek Wek's background and circumstances, wasn't any good from the get go, that she would have been given the biggest runways and most prestigious maisons to "practice"? What about any other model of color??

Equality is the issue of the day, not just in civil rights but in the workplace too, specially for women, and what the Kendall fans and supporters do not understand is that, by supporting her you are supporting institutionalized racism and institutionalized disadvantage directed at anyone that doesn't share her background.

You may want to rethink that. And furthermore, why even defend her? I mean if this was Linda Evangelista, greatest model of all time, I'd understand, but Kendall Jenner?? lol.

And why was it? And what is your point?

Didn't you watch the episode, as you said? So you know why. :flower:

And my point is: you're bringing something that happened on KUWTK (when she was a teenager, years ago, before she even started), out of context, to use against her, which is so easy to do. But there's a bunch of moments on the show, proving that she is/was indeed passionate about being a model, since she was a little girl.

You may want to rethink that. And furthermore, why even defend her? I mean if this was Linda Evangelista, greatest model of all time, I'd understand, but Kendall Jenner?? lol.

edit: If you think she isn't even worth to be defended, why are you even discussing about her then?
And you're basically saying is not worth to defend her, but it is worth/you're ok with ppl who attack her??

Didn't you watch the episode, as you said? So you know why. :flower:

And my point is: you're bringing something that happened on KUWTK (when she was a teenager, years ago, before she even started), out of context, to use against her, which is so easy to do. But there's a bunch of moments on the show, proving that she is/was indeed passionate about being a model, since she was a little girl.

I did but I honestly don't remember lol. And she was passionate, so what, she's a terrible model, only there because of the kardashian fame.

So.... this entire thread has the cover shot + nine photos.
Anyone have anything else from this supplement? Review? Pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->