US Vogue Special Edition April 2016 : Kendall Jenner by Mario Testino

edit: If you think she isn't even worth to be defended, why are you even discussing about her then?
And you're basically saying is not worth to defend her, but it is worth/you're ok with ppl who attack her??

I am discussing her because Vogue, the greatest fashion magazine in the world just gave her a special issue, why wouldn't I discuss her? Why is that even a question?

And YES to your second question, I am perfectly fine with people ripping her to shreds because this girl shouldn't be modelling, period. She wants to model? She can go and do SEARS catalogues, that's where she belongs. She's only there because of nepotism and that is unacceptable. Yes, she's not the first model to get into fashion because of nepotism and connections, the difference is that, in the past, new models benefiting from nepotism were freaking glorious women like Nastassja Kinski, Anjelica Huston and Ines de la Fressange.

I cannot think of anybody else that got help into fashion that wasn't extraordinarily beautiful and talented and that deserved to be there. The only other equally mediocre person I can think of is Cara Delevigne, and even she knows how to look utterly spectacular in certain situations, Kendall Jenner cannot even reach Cosmo level of modelling and now she's one centimeter away from a Vogue cover?? Please. And it's taken her YEARS to improve and she is not even anywhere near what a high fashion model should be. So yes, I'm perfectly ok with people ripping her anywhere, in fact they aren't doing it enough.

First and foremost, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Secondly, the same people who keep defending her, why bother? The same way why you wonder why people keep "hating on her" or whoever and whatever, is the same way people wonder why you keep defending her , her work, her family, her as a person etc.

So you are basically saying that she wasn't a good model at all but she was still given the greatest, most demanding catwalks in the world as her practice ground so that she could improve? And you think that is ok??

You think that if a model with Alek Wek's background and circumstances, wasn't any good from the get go, that she would have been given the biggest runways and most prestigious maisons to "practice"? What about any other model of color??

Equality is the issue of the day, not just in civil rights but in the workplace too, specially for women, and what the Kendall fans and supporters do not understand is that, by supporting her you are supporting institutionalized racism and institutionalized disadvantage directed at anyone that doesn't share her background.

You may want to rethink that. And furthermore, why even defend her? I mean if this was Linda Evangelista, greatest model of all time, I'd understand, but Kendall Jenner?? lol.

WOW at your hatred for a girl you do not even know..

Really? Supporting Kendall now equates to supporting institutionalized racism, just WOW. So you think a model like Aya Jones do not need to improve her editorial work? You think her work so far is the best that she is going to achieve?

There is nothing fair in the world of modeling. Girls are usually given an opportunity because an influential person took a liking to them... such was the case with Kendall. The Kardashian/Jenner name did not get her into HF, if so then Kylie would be right along... but you can continue to believe that if that helps fuel your hatred...

WOW at your hatred for a girl you do not even know..

Really? Supporting Kendall now equates to supporting institutionalized racism, just WOW. So you think a model like Aya Jones do not need to improve her editorial work? You think her work so far is the best that she is going to achieve?

There is nothing fair in the world of modeling. Girls are usually given an opportunity because an influential person took a liking to them... such was the case with Kendall. The Kardashian/Jenner name did not get her into HF, if so then Kylie would be right along... but you can continue to believe that if that helps fuel your hatred...

Hatred? lol nobody said anything about hatred.

And yes it equates to supporting institutionalized racism because as I said, she has no business being a model. Just look at the example you brought up, Aya Jones, I don't know who that girl is nor do I care but with just a quick google search I can see that she has 50 times better bone structure than Kendall Jenner, who was none basically, I mean she's barely photogenic, yet to you Aya Jones is somehow unworthy of being a model? Talk about skewed notions.

And Kendall is where she is SOLELY because of the Kardashian empire, nothing more, it's best you just accept it, that way your opinion would have some credibility.

Actually Kylie Jenner is also appearing in fashion magazines, and that I don't mind at all because Kylie Jenner is developing a very grotesque look that works perfectly well in fashion. Her Interview Magazine spread was amazing. Again, she may be who she is because of the Kardashians but she has a quality OF HER OWN, that somehow makes her special. Kendall has none of that.

Hatred? lol nobody said anything about hatred.

And yes it equates to supporting institutionalized racism because as I said, she has no business being a model. Just look at the example you brought up, Aya Jones, I don't know who that girl is nor do I care but with just a quick google search I can see that she has 50 times better bone structure than Kendall Jenner, who was none basically, I mean she's barely photogenic, yet to you Aya Jones is somehow unworthy of being a model? Talk about skewed notions.

And Kendall is where she is SOLELY because of the Kardashian empire, nothing more, it's best you just accept it, that way your opinion would have some credibility.

Actually Kylie Jenner is also appearing in fashion magazines, and that I don't mind at all because Kylie Jenner is developing a very grotesque look that works perfectly well in fashion. Her Interview Magazine spread was amazing. Again, she may be who she is because of the Kardashians but she has a quality OF HER OWN, that somehow makes her special. Kendall has none of that.

I am only replying to this bolded part then I am out of this convo...you and I will never agree...

I never implied that Aya Jones was not worthy of being a model. She is gorgeous and looks good on the runway but like Kendall she can improve in her editorial work IMO. They both need to just work more and with different photographers. My point was simply that even models of afro background can have areas in the portfolio to improve but are working models and she is an example for me, mainly because influential people in fashion sees potential.

I wish you luck in taking Kendall down. You should schedule a meeting with Katie Grand, she is really the person behind Kendall's career.

I am only replying to this bolded part then I am out of this convo...you and I will never agree...

I never implied that Aya Jones was not worthy of being a model. She is gorgeous and looks good on the runway but like Kendall she can improve in her editorial work IMO. They both need to just work more and with different photographers. My point was simply that even models of afro background can have areas in the portfolio to improve but are working models and she is an example for me, mainly because influential people in fashion sees potential.

I wish you luck in taking Kendall down. You should schedule a meeting with Katie Grand, she is really the person behind Kendall's career.

Well, judging by Aya's bones she's already 50 leagues ahead of anything Kendall does so why would you even bring her up?

And why is Katie Grand behind her career?

Well, judging by Aya's bones she's already 50 leagues ahead of anything Kendall does so why would you even bring her up?

And why is Katie Grand behind her career?

Katie Grand was the woman behind Kendall's runway debut in the Marc Jacobs for the F/W 2014 collection, the one with the Jessica Lange song that played over and over again. Through Grand's connections and being a stylist herself used Kendall towards Giles and then Givenchy/Balmain happened. Still Grand right away used Kendall towards her own endeavors from her debut in Vogue Paris in the June 2014 issue which she styled to soon a couple months later a LOVE cover done by Sims. Also Grand as Jacobs' stylist and essentially creative force towards advertising placed Kendall for their s/s 2015 collection. Also don't worry LetThemEatCake09 I despise Kendull with a passion, she doesn't deserve many of the opportunities presented to her

I am discussing her because Vogue, the greatest fashion magazine in the world just gave her a special issue, why wouldn't I discuss her? Why is that even a question?

And YES to your second question, I am perfectly fine with people ripping her to shreds because this girl shouldn't be modelling, period. She wants to model? She can go and do SEARS catalogues, that's where she belongs. She's only there because of nepotism and that is unacceptable. Yes, she's not the first model to get into fashion because of nepotism and connections, the difference is that, in the past, new models benefiting from nepotism were freaking glorious women like Nastassja Kinski, Anjelica Huston and Ines de la Fressange.

I cannot think of anybody else that got help into fashion that wasn't extraordinarily beautiful and talented and that deserved to be there. The only other equally mediocre person I can think of is Cara Delevigne, and even she knows how to look utterly spectacular in certain situations, Kendall Jenner cannot even reach Cosmo level of modelling and now she's one centimeter away from a Vogue cover?? Please. And it's taken her YEARS to improve and she is not even anywhere near what a high fashion model should be. So yes, I'm perfectly ok with people ripping her anywhere, in fact they aren't doing it enough.

What a tragic point of view to have.

Katie Grand was the woman behind Kendall's runway debut in the Marc Jacobs for the F/W 2014 collection, the one with the Jessica Lange song that played over and over again. Through Grand's connections and being a stylist herself used Kendall towards Giles and then Givenchy/Balmain happened. Still Grand right away used Kendall towards her own endeavors from her debut in Vogue Paris in the June 2014 issue which she styled to soon a couple months later a LOVE cover done by Sims. Also Grand as Jacobs' stylist and essentially creative force towards advertising placed Kendall for their s/s 2015 collection. Also don't worry LetThemEatCake09 I despise Kendull with a passion, she doesn't deserve many of the opportunities presented to her

Thank you, I didn't know that, what's in it for Grand?? And most importantly, what's in it for Givenchy/Vogue/Anna Wintour, etc, free publicity? They don't need it. Instagram followers? Chanel doesn't need them.

That is the one thread I have seen with the Kardashian/Jenners and the brands or people they associate with, it's an all win for the Kardashians but I don't see any win for the legitimate brands that use them. I know the app game was a huge success, also the kimoji thing but what else? Where is the benefit for the high fashion brands? I don't see it, but I see a lot of loss to the prestige, and that is never recovered. Not in my book anyway. I mean those pictures of Kendall as Mademoiselle in her own apartment are a disgrace.

Thank you, I didn't know that, what's in it for Grand?? And most importantly, what's in it for Givenchy/Vogue/Anna Wintour, etc, free publicity? They don't need it. Instagram followers? Chanel doesn't need them.

That is the one thread I have seen with the Kardashian/Jenners and the brands or people they associate with, it's an all win for the Kardashians but I don't see any win for the legitimate brands that use them. I know the app game was a huge success, also the kimoji thing but what else? Where is the benefit for the high fashion brands? I don't see it, but I see a lot of loss to the prestige, and that is never recovered. Not in my book anyway. I mean those pictures of Kendall as Mademoiselle in her own apartment are a disgrace.

I believe the reasoning for the usage of the Jenners and Kardashians to appeal to youth culture, to have Generation Y/Z believe they are hip for using that family member. From a business perspective it's smart to do this because Givenchy, Balmain or whatever brand is trying to create a new customer base in the future from that one image of Jenner because sadly many people want to aspire to be her but cannot afford the $5000 dress as of now. Yet as you said it just leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth and the brand is no longer special in my eyes. As for Grand she is trying anything to still be relevant in our culture and keep LOVE still with two legs. At the end of the day it comes to money. As perverted as it sounds companies need to survive and make revenue. But one aspect they lost through all of this was their morals, people should never go that down the rabbit hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow the thread went places.

I don't get Vogue's fascination with followers though. 64 then 68M? Those followers do not even translate to sales.

Here's the "editorial" by Theo Wenner, there's an interview that comes with on vogue.com

vogue

I believe the reasoning for the usage of the Jenners and Kardashians to appeal to youth culture, to have Generation Y/Z believe they are hip for using that family member. From a business perspective it's smart to do this because Givenchy, Balmain or whatever brand is trying to create a new customer base in the future from that one image of Jenner because sadly many people want to aspire to be her but cannot afford the $5000 dress as of now. Yet as you said it just leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth and the brand is no longer special in my eyes. As for Grand she is trying anything to still be relevant in our culture and keep LOVE still with two legs. At the end of the day it comes to money. As perverted as it sounds companies need to survive and make revenue. But one aspect they lost through all of this was their morals, people should never go that down the rabbit hole.

I absolutely agree, the luster that's lost just can't be recovered, and I would like to see the numbers because I am certain that the usage of Kendall Jenner has contributed zilch to the revenue of each and every one of those brands because, contrary to what people believe, the Kardashians DO NOT SELL.

Here's the "editorial" by Theo Wenner, there's an interview that comes with on vogue.com

I get so much second hand embarrassment looking at her, like the embarrassment you feel when someone is absolutely terrible at what they do.

Point of Comparison:
"The Rihanna Effect - How the Unstoppable Pop Diva Became A Full-on Fashion Force" (03/14)
vis a vis
"The Kendall Effect - 64M Followers and Counting" (04/16)

The only talking point / selling point they found about her were her followers??? The tagline could have been something less focused on her being a social media star!

"The Kendall Effect - Social Media Star, Actress, Philantrophist"
"The Kendall Effect - Her New Roles"
"The Kendall Effect - How she redefines fashion"

Vogue's fascination with "followers" is something I'll never understand.

Her social media following is her signature I think. There's not so much to say about her. Her career is mostly editorials, commercial campaigns, her EL contract, a few shows per season and some HF campaigns.
You can't call her "the queen of the runways" because she isn't walking that much and so on. Her following is the only thing that makes her different from any other model.
And look at the cover closely, they wrote the 64M in bigger caps than the rest. It's marketing. It's the first thing you see on the cover and it's what sells.

Her social media following is her signature I think. There's not so much to say about her. Her career is mostly editorials, commercial campaigns, her EL contract, a few shows per season and some HF campaigns.
You can't call her "the queen of the runways" because she isn't walking that much and so on. Her following is the only thing that makes her different from any other model.

It's sad that every cover she'll get is focused on her follower count. I'm no fan of hers, but I think she can do more than that. She should take it upon herself to do something worth talking about

And look at the cover closely, they wrote the 64M in bigger caps than the rest. It's marketing. It's the first thing you see on the cover and it's what sells.

I might have to disagree. Wasn't there an article about having millions of social media followers and those not translating to sales? If I remember it correctly, it was even down than that of the last year's counterpart

Thanks for posting those images, Mon. Very underwhelming. And they seem to be going out of their way to push Tory Burch. Her clothes are so dull! That said, I had no qualms to get her Fitbit bracelet as a gift for a close friend last year.

I might have to disagree. Wasn't there an article about having millions of social media followers and those not translating to sales? If I remember it correctly, it was even down than that of the last year's counterpart

I agree with you on that. I didn't explain myself correctly. What was your reaction when you first saw the cover? And especially the cover line? What is the Kendall effect?
Kendall was in a "scandal" like a week ago (private leaked pictures) so trust me, her team knows how to market her and put her in the headlines before a big contract/work is coming. It may not work for everyone but for their target it is working. People are talking about Kendall. Kendall is "associated" with Vogue a week later = people are going to talk about Vogue and eventually buy the issue.
However, there's a part of the population that despises her family and what they represent so they aren't going to buy it.
It's a balance. Their usual target isn't buying a Kendall cover but Kendall's fans are buying it. And with the internet you can download every magazine possible for free. That's what a lot of people do. What is the point of buying an issue for six to twelve pages of your idol when you can have it for free on the internet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->