Victoria's Secret models going high fashion!

I won't say that the VSFS is the reason that Shanina Shaik is getting all this work recently, but you have to admit the power of VS is pretty strong. It seems like it helped her get noticed by like 80%, I mean...she used to be donig JCPenny's catalogs but recently she gets all this press in Austrailia about VS (which we know the VS people love), walked in Chanel prefall and Jason Wu prefall, and just opened Jason Wu in NYFW.

and yet people say that VS hurts models careers...
:innocent:

I won't say that the VSFS is the reason that Shanina Shaik is getting all this work recently, but you have to admit the power of VS is pretty strong. It seems like it helped her get noticed by like 80%, I mean...she used to be donig JCPenny's catalogs but recently she gets all this press in Austrailia about VS (which we know the VS people love), walked in Chanel prefall and Jason Wu prefall, and just opened Jason Wu in NYFW.

and yet people say that VS hurts models careers...
:innocent:

I think it can hurt established HF girls careers to some extent. Of course it helped Shanina, because she was just a catalog girl. She had nowhere to go but up in the modeling world. That kind of press will definitely help commercial models, but HF models risk the chance of losing their "exclusivity" when working with VS. I'm not trying to bash VS, though. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

I think it can hurt established HF girls careers to some extent. Of course it helped Shanina, because she was just a catalog girl. She had nowhere to go but up in the modeling world. That kind of press will definitely help commercial models, but HF models risk the chance of losing their "exclusivity" when working with VS. I'm not trying to bash VS, though. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

What HF girls has it hurt in recent times especially in terms of their bank accounts which is what matters in the end because appearing in Vogue eds but taking nothing back home wont pay the bills.

^Yeah, and modelling is a job, not a some kind of fashion purity cult, in the end of the day. And a job pays money.

I didn't mean that it hurt a girl's career as far as money is concerned. VS is the holy grail of commercial modeling, so it pays very well. What I meant to say is that sometimes it hurts their HF career, their prestige. I'm not saying these models aren't still successful, but girls like Edita, Maryna & Magdalena have definitely taken a more commercial turn in their careers. They still get HF work every now & then, but the majority of their work (Edita & Maryna especially) is now commercial. I get what you guys are saying, though. In terms of strictly getting paid, VS is the best job out there.

^ i don't think it really hurts a girl's HF career, the problem is that when you're used to get paid at least 20,000$ per day for a V.S shooting it's becomes somehow unappealing for a girl to go back and shoot a $500 editorial and obviously things start to slow down for many of them HF wise...

Last edited by a moderator:
^^I understand, too, the point you are making, when vs picks model it can lessen her hf appearances, but it probably is more about the thing Riseup came up with above. But I don`t actually understand this hf versus commercial career battle anyway. Something to be a career needs to involve paid job, and in the world we live, the if the career rises means pay rises too.

Maybe girls prefer to do commercial works over HF at some point in their careers? It pays better, probably it's a lot more fun to shoot on the beach in St. Barths than at a studio in Paris & many other things. I doubt all of sudden Maryna or Magda or Edita stopped getting HF offers just because they started to work more for VS

Victorias Secret doesnt hurt a hf models career at all! Its like this. Most of these high fashion models who bust their ***es doing countless shows and editorials actually are doing that for exposure to hopefully book a cosmetics contract, frangrance ad, or victorias secret contract all of which are the holy grail of modeling. So when you see a hf --> vs model who isnt doing as many shows or editorials its because they are enjoying their money and mainstream exposure and are not reverting back to sleepless nights, early call times, constantly sitting in airports etc. Why would they go back to that after walking the victorias secret show and possibly signing a multi-million dollar vs contract.

Yeah I think they just become more exclusive after working with VS. Once you get exposed to lucrative jobs, why would anyone revert back to those sparse paying runway shows/editorials.

theres a dark haired model with an amazing walk thats all over the runways is she Lily Aldridge?

You're probably thinking of Lais Ribeiro.

Lily Aldridge was pregnant until 2 months ago, so she wasn't walking in any runways. And she's not a regular catwalker in either shows to begin with.

Sounds like Andreea Diaconu to me though she's never worked for VS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->