Vogue Paris June/July 2017 : Gisele Bündchen by Mario Testino

The cover is great but all the eds are a big letdown!

The main ed is so 2009/2010 Testino for V. It's dated in the worst way possible.
I really like the styling because i think that at VP they nailed the 80's stuff more than any other Vogue but the poses and everything is so overdone.
The paps shots are fresh and the ed would have been much more interesting in this style of photography than in the usual photoshop Testino thing.

Hedi's ed is classic Hedi so it's a bit boring. I really wanted for Emmanuelle to push the styling harder but for some reasons, everytime she is working with Hedi when he is not a designer, the clothes always comes as the second act.

Demarchelier's ed is boring too. It could have been great with Carlyne Cerf...

I just can't with the photoshopping of Gisele's editorial. It's just soooo over-the-top. Also I don't understand why they added the blurred effect to the paparazzi shots.

I adore Gisele, she's one of my favourites of all time - so I'm always thrilled to see her no matter what. And that stands for this feature, as well. But I'm not feeling most of it.

The main editorial is so photoshopped it almost looks like Mert & Marcus shot it.

I'd love to see a Vaccarello YSL pulled out in the midst of this shoot. The tantrum, the breakdown, the screams...
:rofl: nooo..

that story isn't even at Sgura's level (which is rock bottom).. babe, I know you're excited for summer but just.. stick to b&w in your studio.

Luna and Kris annoy me and so does the story but it's all saved by Edita, she can do no wrong in my eyes (although frankly, that story is awful too :lol:).

I liked the sense of humor in Gisele's story..

Last edited by a moderator:
P14951689091188531_16.jpg

KLnCq1R4.jpg

Digital Edition | Scanned by OhJane

Wow, this looks like a fantastic issue. I actually like Gisele's editorial; there's definitely a lot of photoshop but it feels like that's the point - a hyper saturated, slick look and I'm enjoying it. I love the inclusion of the paparazzi photos, it adds a voyeuristic quality that works really well.

Also loving Sorrenti's and and Slimane's shoots, there are some great images in them.

Gisele's ed reminds me Versace campaign shot by M&M around 2009 and 2012. The rest of the issue is quite average but not horrendous. I am still confused about the role of this new fashion director. She did not do any cover so far neither main editorial.

Wow that Demarchelier ed.. Vogue Italia December 2005 vibes, anyone?

yes the hair styling is almost same:shock: too lazy:o

as to the slimane/alt pages, can't stand alt's 80's styling anymore, outdated and uninspired.

I absolutely ADORE the cover. The art direction is something different for Vogue Paris, or most commercial fashion magazines, and it really works. Editorial is great as well. Usually not a big fan of either Gisele or Testino, but it's a hit for me this time!

Can't say I'm overwhelmed by the actual cover as much as everyone else (I'm too boring, hate change and don't like an unconventional cover image). However, Gisele's editorial totally saves it for me and I absolutely love how everything turned out - even the addition of the paparazzi photographs.

The image of Gisele wearing the hot pink top and purple pants should have been the cover. What a strong, fierce and fabulous shot. Yes! :heart:

:rofl: nooo..

that story isn't even at Sgura's level (which is rock bottom).. babe, I know you're excited for summer but just.. stick to b&w in your studio.

Luna and Kris annoy me and so does the story but it's all saved by Edita, she can do no wrong in my eyes (although frankly, that story is awful too :lol:).

I liked the sense of humor in Gisele's story..

It must be so tempting to trigger Hedi. I can totally understand why Cathy does it LOL

No one is ever at Sgura’s low level of drugstore beauty counter POS/POP cheapness: I will gladly take the hollow hot-air hypes of the likes of Collier, Tim, Harley over him anytime. He must never allowed anywhere near VP...

Hedi’s usually quite clever at this brand of super rich kids looking bored lounging about in old-money grand villa wordlbuilding. This… this just looks like everyone at the shoot were genuinely bored and wanted to hurry up and get it over with. The overcast feel, the washed-out palette, the tepid and basic styling, the mood that looks more like it’s somewhere in an abandoned Serbian depot rather than Paris… It just looks unintentionally depressing. I adore the brand of isolation that the Kristen Stewart film Personal Shopper evoked— and I can sort of see a similar theme here if I were particularly in the mood to defend Hedi. But I’m in no mood and he’s failed lazily if that was the tone he was going for (not likely).

The Edita shoot is completely lacking in heat. I dig her so much as well since she's as kind as she's gorgeous. Maybe Mario Sorrenti ought to have been shooting her instead of Cedric. When Mario’s at his best, he can almost convince me for that moment to go straight since he shoots women like no one can. A couple of the shots are very pretty, but it’s clear they’re both just going through the motion.

For a heart of the summer issue, and one with a roster of photographers who should reliably bring the smoulder, this falls so flat. I still like the cover, even more so now since that’s the best thing about this issue, and VP is still way way way ahead of so many other Vogues even with this stumble. But with the previous cover— which really reeks of Sgura-cheapness, and this issue’s being so boring, I’m starting to feel about VP the way this issue’s edits look: Bored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->