Vogue Paris March 2009 : Iris Strubegger by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Personally, I really like this cover. Iris looks like a cross between Kristen McMenamy and Ines De La Fressange (the 80s Chanel muse).

This was not what I was expecting at all... I really love it. I'm glad that it isn't too gender-bending... Thanks shely.:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
If Iris has got an ed, I think that we might see it in black and white, like M&M have been often doing for VP... Or maybe a surprise like Lara's March 2008 ed.

i am extremely happy for Iris, but this cover somehow feels doubtful. i can see traditional VP's irony on the verge of kitsch, using double-C logo and lots of profitable Chanel memorabilia (i mean accessories), but there's something very old-fashioned about this kind of approach. it's way too 'right in your face', too simple, too 'ironic wannabe' to be celebrated and appreciated. and the reference (McMenamy's VI cover) is totally obvious, but to me there's a question: was that cover that good to be considered as inspiration? personally i think it looked tacky rather than iconic.
i believe the main weakness of this cover is in the very concept of the image, which feels dated and merely no fun. Iris rocks though. but that's something i wouldn't have ever doubted.

Nothing Came Help Change
My View For Iris..not Even Chanel Pearls
She Is Not My Cup Of Tea At All

I bought that Kristen McMenamy cover when it came out, so I can remember what it represented at the time, I have the full set of memories and references from that moment - so what looks tacky to someone in 2009 will seem different to someone who saw it in the timeframe when it made more sense.

I think Kristen was always hard to 'get' as a model, which is why I like that VP have tried to show some of her essence. Stylists and photographers could contort Kirsten into androgynous ugliness, yet she always retained an undeniable womanly power that went way beyond hairstyles and eyeshadows and all those other things girls use to fabricate their femininity. Kristen didn't even need eyebrows.

And as Spiral1532 mentioned, there's also an echo of the Parisienne style of Chanel dressing that Ines de la Fressange personified, from an even earlier era of cover shots.

I bought that Kristen McMenamy cover when it came out, so I can remember what it represented at the time, I have the full set of memories and references from that moment - so what looks tacky to someone in 2009 will seem different to someone who saw it in the timeframe when it made more sense.

I think Kristen was always hard to 'get' as a model, which is why I like that VP have tried to show some of her essence. Stylists and photographers could contort Kirsten into androgynous ugliness, yet she always retained an undeniable womanly power that went way beyond hairstyles and eyeshadows and all those other things girls use to fabricate their femininity. Kristen didn't even need eyebrows.

And as Spiral1532 mentioned, there's also an echo of the Parisienne style of Chanel dressing that Ines de la Fressange personified, from an even earlier era of cover shots.
what an excellent post :clap:

I personally love this cover because of Iris, she has this unexplainable kind of beauty which I can understand why people wouldn't 'get'.

Apart from the Chanel vomit, I love it.

I couldn't agree more... I was thinking if any other model could or would look better than Iris, but after seeing all these VI and McMenamy's references I've changed my mind. But I still don't get the pearls even though I know they are part of Chanel's traditions.

Everything was stunning until I saw the wash of the jeans. Iris looks SO SO gorgeous, in her own, unique way, especially with blood red lips. And she is perfect for a Chanel tribute, as she is the epitome of a Twenties flapper (scalloped-ish hair and all) and looks a little like the grande dame herself, or a modern day interpretation of her anyway! The homage to the Meisel cover is apparent, and that is fine because Carine can pull it off. But there is nothing modern about those jeans with the whole outfit. Carine should have styled Iris in either darker jeans or something black to bring everything together. The same wash jeans makes the cover look TOO much like the Kirsten cover. Too much like the real thing and less like a reference to the 90's. But overall, I still love it.

By the way, Iris could be Kirsten's sister, even if she does look better on her cover than Kirsten did on the VI.

I think the cover looks great and I hope the contents live up to last year's march issue. I also hope my subscriber copy doesn't come all banged up. :doh:

I am quite interested to see the direction iris' editorial will go in

^I'm interested to see the contents as well. I wonder if all of the editorials are Chanel themed as the cover would suggest? If so, I certainly hope to see a variety of models. Though we got an overload of her last month, I would love to see Lara Stone in this, as I think she is very Parisienne and Chanel. Also, since it is Chanel, I certainly hope there will be lots of black and white, tweed, camellias, skirtsuits, pearls, and faux jewelry. One of the things I love about VP is that they always have a clear and direct theme for each issue. That is one of the reasons the magazine is so influential and great. This idea is perfect with all of the Chanel biopics coming out this year! Hope we see some editorials soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->