Why Do All The Models Smoke?

Originally posted by blumarine@May 28th, 2004 - 3:46 am
Oh, Prada! Bif softie!
Just wanting us to be around forever and not ending connected to a machine!
We :wub: you!
I've done several subjects at uni where we've been looking at all this stuff and it's not nice :( After seeing all that stuff and learning about it, I've vowed never to smoke, life's too short.

And just so you know the dangers of passive smoking, a good friend of my mum's, she never smoked in her life but both her husband and son are heavy smokers, she's currently undergoing treatment for lung cancer :( it's so not fair on her.

i wonder why you people get mad on models smoking and not on models using much more dangerous substances, which are absolutely widespread both in modeling, celebrity & 'socialite' circles .

is coke -or worst- better than smoke?
i honestly dont think so.
models can say they need the 'ego boost' but they can end up paranoid and half crazed.. of course substances dont 'stink' the backstage, but the damage is much more serious.. i guess its ok since unlike 'bag smoking' nobody can get 'passive substance effects'

and what about their addiction to the weight related syndromes that keep them thin? is that ok for you? is this 'legit'?

i really think that discussing models cigarette addiction is a bit hypocritical.

as for europeans smoking more than americans.. please, dont get me started..
Europeans smoke AMERICAN tocabo company products, if Americans want to lead THIS crusade, well, start demolishing your tobaco product industries and lose all their export taxes , now. :P
but you wont right? :rolleyes:

hehe, yeh i do agree lena...i spose all those drugs aren't as obvious as smoking...so less ppl pick up on it.

Originally posted by PradaP@May 28th, 2004 - 2:24 am
I find it very disappointing that anyone still smokes these days.

Unless you have been living underneath a rock, you have to be aware of all the implications smoking has on one's health.

I reckon the excuses people have are very poor excuses, but then again it's their life not mine, just don't smoke anywhere near me.

ps- a model who doesnt smoke is Christy Turlington, good on her! I'm sure you've all heard the story (after 10 yr stint with smoking, learned she had developed early stage emphysema and so decided to quit, and now is involved with the anti-smoking movement)

she keeps a website here- http://www.smokingisugly.com/main.html
i believe she actually quit after her father was diagnosed with lung cancer...he died shortly thereafter...she does commercials against smoking here in the US and talks about it...

i've never heard anything about emphysema...

anyway...lena...i don't see how it matters that europeans are smoking american or southamerican or cuban tobacco...it's just a fact that they smoke more over there and it's more socially acceptable than it is in the united states...even more so in recent years since there has been this movement to ban smoking over here...and it really seems to be working...fewer and fewer people smoke here now...at least in public...and funny you should mention the drugs...cigarette smokers are really being treated like dirty drug addicts now...it's really taking a lot of the pleasure out of it...l still smoke though...
:P

Originally posted by Lena@May 28th, 2004 - 3:12 am
i wonder why you people get mad on models smoking and not on models using much more dangerous substances, which are absolutely widespread both in modeling, celebrity & 'socialite' circles .

is coke -or worst- better than smoke?
i honestly dont think so.
models can say they need the 'ego boost' but they can end up paranoid and half crazed.. of course substances dont 'stink' the backstage, but the damage is much more serious.. i guess its ok since unlike 'bag smoking' nobody can get 'passive substance effects'

and what about their addiction to the weight related syndromes that keep them thin? is that ok for you? is this 'legit'?

i really think that discussing models cigarette addiction is a bit hypocritical.

as for europeans smoking more than americans.. please, dont get me started..
Europeans smoke AMERICAN tocabo company products, if Americans want to lead THIS crusade, well, start demolishing your tobaco product industries and lose all their export taxes , now. :P
but you wont right? :rolleyes:
I was hinting at the coke thing when we were discussing the model clip that puplelucrezia posted but I thought people would get mad at me for generalizing about the fashion industry. I guess people don't talk about it because it's not like we see pictures of models backstage with white powder under their noses. :wink:

Softgrey is right about smoking being banned in a lot of places here in North America. In both the city I currently live in and the city where I went to university they have banned smoking from all indoor public places. So you can't even smoke in bars or restaurants anymore. This is Canada but I am quite sure some cities in the states have passed bylaws too. When I lived in England I was shocked by the amount of places you were allowed to smoke. I wasn't used to cigarettes being smoked in shopping centres or on the train.

I do wish there was more we could do about the big American Tobacco companies... but they are supported inderectly by non smokers as well because they also own food companies (ie- Phillip Morris and Kraft). :(

The smoking thing really isn't all that dramatic or complicated. Models smoke...a lot, not strictly older ones, as young as 15. Smoking makes it easier for people to maintain their weight. It doesnt make you thin, a 90 lb. girl has a better chance of staying 90 lbs. just like a 250 lb. girl has a better chance of staying 250 lbs. Their career depends on consistency and that's what it's all about. I, personally, think it's disgusting. Champagne is backstage at nearly every big show...and trust me they are not taking the time to check ID, before they fill the glasses, that's ridiculous. Every agency event I've ever been to had liqour, and most of the girls are under 21. They aren't the boozed and drugged out waifs that the media tries to depict them as, but are they living years beyond their time, yes. I remember High School and the normal, everyday girls tried their best to live the worst lifestyles they could...the only real difference is opportunity. If anything these girls are a little better behaved because they have these demanding careers.

Originally posted by FunkyDiva@May 28th, 2004 - 10:44 am
They aren't the boozed and drugged out waifs that the media tries to depict them as, but are they living years beyond their time, yes. I remember High School and the normal, everyday girls tried their best to live the worst lifestyles they could...the only real difference is opportunity. If anything these girls are a little better behaved because they have these demanding careers.
i think that's true and very well said... :D

Originally posted by softgrey@May 28th, 2004 - 9:12 am

i believe she actually quit after her father was diagnosed with lung cancer...he died shortly thereafter...she does commercials against smoking here in the US and talks about it...

i've never heard anything about emphysema...

anyway...lena...i don't see how it matters that europeans are smoking american or southamerican or cuban tobacco...it's just a fact that they smoke more over there and it's more socially acceptable than it is in the united states...even more so in recent years since there has been this movement to ban smoking over here...and it really seems to be working...fewer and fewer people smoke here now...at least in public...and funny you should mention the drugs...cigarette smokers are really being treated like dirty drug addicts now...it's really taking a lot of the pleasure out of it...l still smoke though...
:P
She does have emphysema, in addition to her father dying of lung cancer. I'm trying to quit smoking right now. I think that stress in my job makes it really hard. I'm not a model, but working in fashion is stressful, so I can imagine. If I was a model I would probably smoke constantly because of the stress.

Originally posted by softgrey+May 28th, 2004 - 10:47 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ May 28th, 2004 - 10:47 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FunkyDiva@May 28th, 2004 - 10:44 am
They aren't the boozed and drugged out waifs that the media tries to depict them as, but are they living years beyond their time, yes. I remember High School and the normal, everyday girls tried their best to live the worst lifestyles they could...the only real difference is opportunity. If anything these girls are a little better behaved because they have these demanding careers.
i think that's true and very well said... :D [/b][/quote]
Yep, sounds like high school to me. :P Personally, I don't think a bit of champagne after a show is a big deal. The drinking age in the US is way too high anyway. What I'd be more concerned about is that these young girls can pretty much get laid with anyone they want and even have their own appartment to do it in. :lol:

Originally posted by banana+May 28th, 2004 - 11:03 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (banana @ May 28th, 2004 - 11:03 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by softgrey@May 28th, 2004 - 10:47 am
<!--QuoteBegin-FunkyDiva
@May 28th, 2004 - 10:44 am

i think that's true and very well said... :D
Yep, sounds like high school to me. :P Personally, I don't think a bit of champagne after a show is a big deal. The drinking age in the US is way too high anyway. What I'd be more concerned about is that these young girls can pretty much get laid with anyone they want and even have their own appartment to do it in. :lol: [/b][/quote]
Speaking of which, I imagine that they must get a lot negative attention from photographers, etc. Sleeping with the boss to move up, and all that. I can completely see the modeling world having this dark side to it as well... :ninja:

I think it would get depressing after a while... all these older men treating you like a piece of meat. I wonder what it does for a young girl's self esteem. Plus it would be hard if you're family is too far away to give you much guidance. :(

Originally posted by banana@May 28th, 2004 - 9:34 am

I was hinting at the coke thing when we were discussing the model clip that puplelucrezia posted but I thought people would get mad at me for generalizing about the fashion industry. I guess people don't talk about it because it's not like we see pictures of models backstage with white powder under their noses. :wink:
I don't think the behaviour on the clip was even close to typical of cocaine use. Perhaps too much alcohol, perhaps they smoked up- but tht was definetely not a behaviour influenced by cocaine. :shock:

Originally posted by foxinthesnow+May 28th, 2004 - 12:07 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (foxinthesnow @ May 28th, 2004 - 12:07 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-banana@May 28th, 2004 - 9:34 am

I don't think the behaviour on the clip was even close to typical of cocaine use. Perhaps too much alcohol, perhaps they smoked up- but tht was definetely not a behaviour influenced by cocaine. :shock: [/b][/quote]
I'm really not sure, but I just re-watched that video, and it was much worse than I had remembered. And that irritating giggle of hers! I just kept trying not to grind my teeth... :lol:

Although Smoking is a bad habit..I admit..I smoke half a pack a day..and I'm
young..but it does get rid of stress...but I don't know...to me..smoking 's not a
turn off..at all..I mean..if you want to smoke..then go right ahead...I'm not going
to be nagging..and my ex. got me addicted on cigarettes.... :o :wink:

I think they think it looks very elegant, and that would explain why the older generations (Carmen Kass, etc. ...) smoke, because growing up they probably saw movies and such that made smoking look tres chic, which is not true. I only wish people would see how much it affects their lungs! It's gross. Our health teacher had this doll that she'd put a cigarette into it's mouth and light it, and there was this tube with a jar at the bottom that would collect the tar, and the stuff that goes into your lungs, and she takes the jar off and passes it around, so that we see how gross it is. The stuff that goes into your lungs looks like cow poop or something of the like, I almost puked. And saying that it relieves stress isn't a great excuse. There are plenty of healthy ways to reduce stress, and smoking isn't one of them. You shouldn't rely on tar and chemicals that make you die, wrapped up in paper for anything, especially relieving stress. Think about yoga, and just being at peace with yourself! < wow I just sounded like a granola freak right there!!!!! :wink:

I like smoking. I like the way it smells, I like the way it tastes, I like the way it feels. It's not like I am unaware of the sh*t I'm putting my body through because I smoke; I just don't mind. I haven't been smoking for a very long time. I could quit if I wanted to (how many times have you heard that one? :innocent: ) but I don't want to. I like it. It really is a self deprecating thing; I'm slowly killing myself and I just don't care.

Originally posted by purplelucrezia+May 27th, 2004 - 11:14 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (purplelucrezia @ May 27th, 2004 - 11:14 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by SCBlondie@May 27th, 2004 - 11:04 am
<!--QuoteBegin-purplelucrezia
@May 27th, 2004 - 11:14 am
Found it! :lol: http://www.bthere.tv/story.asp?sid=183

What the heck were they smoking??? :wacko:
:rofl: See, that's what I thought models were like before I'd been to tFS... [/b][/quote]
Those ladies are obviously on some sort of drug or really stupid.

But what can you expect.. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by gem@May 28th, 2004 - 2:55 pm
I like smoking. I like the way it smells, I like the way it tastes, I like the way it feels. It's not like I am unaware of the sh*t I'm putting my body through because I smoke; I just don't mind. I haven't been smoking for a very long time. I could quit if I wanted to (how many times have you heard that one? :innocent: ) but I don't want to. I like it. It really is a self deprecating thing; I'm slowly killing myself and I just don't care.
fair enough

I like to smoke because everyone else doesnt like it.

I enjoy being different.

I like being at one of my fathers banquets or at a wedding and lighting up after eating while getting the stares. Then I say "doesn't anyone smoke anymore?"

Then I like to blow the smoke towards the former smokers who look like they're just about to jump me for the ciggie. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->