Carine Roitfeld leaves Vogue Paris *Update* Emmanuelle Alt named new Editor-in-Chief

This is bad news, VP is the only edition of Vogue that truly dares and now with Alyona leaving the Russian edition -- I'm scared for the future of VP. Carine was just always ahead of the curve.

Still, I'm also thinking that Anna Wintour may finally be on the way out...I would not be surprised to see Carine replace her. Just putting it out there.

I don't think so... at all.

New York's spring 2008 fashion issue included a profile of Roitfeld, in which we learned this day was coming:

“My best quality is to be stylist. I never think about this career, this big job,” she says. “I never wanted to be what I am today, and I will not die in the position.” She still finds the idea of an office with a door where she’s expected every day (at least by telephone) somewhat troubling. All she ever wanted was to be surrounded by very attractive people and very expensive clothes. It’s always been “fashion, fashion, fashion”—so much so that she lists beauty and jewelry as evidence that the job as editor-in-chief has expanded her range of interests.​
And she doesn’t care much for the business aspect of fashion. In an industry where accessories count for the bulk of her advertisers’ revenue, she has this to say: “Right now I think that fashion in the world becomes a bit boring. There is so much money, and I feel a bit when you go to shows they want to sell so many handbags, and for me, well, I do not like handbags. I do not wear handbags. It is not a nice look, to carry a handbag.”​
“I’m not a business girl,” Roitfeld says. “I will never be a business girl, but I will say, for Anna Wintour, that I respect successful people, I like things that are success. But this is really American.”.​
from thecut.com

Oh come on. How can you guys think new EIC means diversity of models ? This new EIC MUST have his/her fave models whom s/he wishes to see conveying his/her ideas in as many aspects of the issues as possible. As long as the new EIC can enhance and reinforce VP's already daring, artistic approach toward fashion, I will be happy.
But it's sad, still. VI is the only Vogue I look forward to. I hope the "new" VP doesn't turn out badly unpredictable

Plus, I hope the new EIC likes Freja :( How sad

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to know what really went down, and please dont feed me this; "i need time for my personal projects" BS! I want the dirt!

Luxx couldnt disagree more, i dont see Wintour going anywhere for a while, and i certainy dont ever see Roitfeld as capable enough to run such a machine as US Vogue, which is a brand not just a magazine. Im always surprised people think she could just step in Wintour's shoes.

just want to know what really went down, and please dont feed me this; "i need time for my personal projects" BS! I want the dirt!

Agreed! I`m pretty sure something really happened. Carine is not that crazy to resign all of a sudden.

I agree with some of the criticisms of VP of late, namely the repetition and while their covers are amazing, their eds tend to be considerably less impressive and I think that some of its edginess has strayed into gratuitous attention seeking. Having said all that, in recent months I have come to the conclusion that while I don't always subscribe to her taste or point of view, Carine Roitfeld is a brilliant woman, I am particularly impressed with her forays into multimedia, and I think that she is one of the top tastemakers in fashion. I am interested in seeing what she does next and I would actually like to see what she can do if given a bigger pond to play in, so I hope that her next position is with visible output.

As far as potential changes being made by her successor, I understand the frustration with the seeing the same models on the covers, but new editor may have a different set of favorites, but they are not going to start putting unproven models on the cover - it will remain as is, save a change to other sellable faces or move to celebrities.

Wow, that's the last thing I would expect to read after coming back home :shock:

But in spite of all the sadness I'm excited, too. Sure, Vogue Paris with Carine is something so special, that you don't think how would it work without her, but then again, I'm sure that ending of this era will be the beginning of something equally exciting ^_^

I'm truly shocked by Carine leaving, although at the same time it's very exciting. What will she do next and who will fill her shoes? Can't wait until we know who the new EIC is.

Wow, this is really depressing. She had done wonders for Vogue Paris. I wonder who her successor is?

So the new rumors on Twitter is that she is taking a job with Tom Ford...?

^ If that is true, I knew it would happen someday.

I honestly feel that she's leaving because she cannot show what she really wants in the magazine anymore and it is hard for her to change "style" which I think vogue is doing right now.

^I don't think vogue has been that good in the last few years, with exceptions though.

What happens to Emmanuel Alt then? Is there any chance that she takes her place? I really hope not..:ninja: I hope it will have more diversity with models and photographers and less sexuality.

I think this is a really interesting and valid point. This is a really great opportunity for Vogue Paris to do what it does best, and reinvent itself for a new decade, set a new tone. If the statements we're being fed are true, that obviously won't happen- they'll stick with Alt and VP will keep on shooting grungy, vulgar editorials with the same six models- but if that is not the case, I think this could be a chance for VP to really live up to it's reputation and change the course of fashion itself.

LSD just posted on Twitter: "RIP Vogue Paris"

Yikes!

:lol:

Whoa! I was in shock when I read the news!

And yes, I am excited and tickled of what will happen to VP.

Ill admit I want the dish, too ... but that Carine+Tom combo is like .. infalible!

J'adore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arshdaddy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->