Carine Roitfeld leaves Vogue Paris *Update* Emmanuelle Alt named new Editor-in-Chief

I actually really like the sound of this, not quite sure why everyone on the first page was emoticon-crying. VP is one of the most repetitive magazines out there, chic and well-done, yes, but it's the same pictures every month. And even if Carine's gone, her whole team is still there, and they have such a similar aesthetic that I worry nothing will change. I hope Alt leaves to go work on styling Balmain, Isabel Marant, etc. full time, that way we get something new in the magazine.

For Carine, I really could see Tom calling her up in his debonair way and asking if she wants to come work for him. To this, she obviously would have been mentally transported back to the good ol' days when she could wear sweatpants and stilettos on a shoot and "inspire" him so effortlessly. (Obviously, this is due to the fact that Tom makes everyone around him go into a powerful dream state. Why do you think spring '11 got such reviews?!) So, anyway, Carine at TF would be great, and pretty understandable.

As for the imagined drama behind the scenes, this really sounds like a personal decision not based on any catfights, as I remember reading that NYMag article Juanpyx mentions. Carine is at her heart a stylist and working at VP was only a temporary, albeit prestigious, gig.

Also, there is no chance of her taking over Vogue US. This is not The Devil Wears Prada, guys.

i'm all for a new direction, a better one i hope. creatively VP has become devastatingly stagnant.i'm just worried the new change might be bad like W's :ninja:

:cry::cry: This is so sad! But I agree with everyone hoping this will lead to a fresher direction for VP. Even though it was great it did get a bit redundant.

I hope there was no big drama behind it because one months notice does sound a bit fishy.

For Carine, I really could see Tom calling her up in his debonair way and asking if she wants to come work for him.
Yeah and he whispered to her that she was the only one for him and when she arrives on his doorstep she finds out that he's been ho-ing around with chicks from Vogue US and Harper's Bazaar UK. :P

I'm not too shocked. I got the impression that Octobers issue was her swan song.
I'll miss her a lot but the magazine was getting stale with ideas, models, etc.
Please GOD don't let Emanuelle take over :cry:

Now that awesome CARINE ROITFELD is leaving French Vogue I think this's the end of a FASHION- ERA!
twitter.com/AnnaDelloRusso

I honestly feel that she's leaving because she cannot show what she really wants in the magazine anymore and it is hard for her to change "style" which I think vogue is doing right now.

That's the first thing I thought too. I remember what she said in NY Times interview few months ago:

we have to fight to keep this un-politically correct attitude of French Vogue, but it’s more and more difficult to be able do that. You cannot smoke, you cannot show arms, you cannot show little girls, because everyone now is very anxious not to have problems with the law. Everything we do now is like walking in high heels on the ice, but we keep trying to do it.

Who might replace Carine Roitfeld at Vogue Paris?
17 December 2010
As Vogue announce that editor Carine Roitfeld is stepping down at the end of January, we line up who might be on course to take her stylish crown.

Emmanuelle Alt: the insider
Alt has worked under Carine Roitfeld as fashion director of Vogue Paris for a decade, responsible for styling many of the magazine's celebrated shoots. A French native, the language barrier would be no issue, and she understands the intrinsic fashion sense of the French woman and Vogue reader.

Anna Dello Russo: the personality
The Italian fashion director of Japanese Vogue has emerged as the fashion phenomenon of 2010. Her bonkers, 'more is more' style has turned her into something of a celebrity brand, earning her magazine covers and her own fragrance. She enjoys a huge following, with bloggers detailing her every outfit. But will her love of colour and maximalist approach to dressing prove too larger-than-life for the French fashionistas?

Dasha Zhukova: the Russian touch
The Russian partner of billionaire Roman Abramovich has earned her style credentials via an enviable wardrobe and by founding her own fashion label, Kova & T. Her foray into the world of fashion magazines began with a two-year-long tenure as the editor of POP magazine. Will French Vogue be keen to capitalise on her luxurious credentials?

Sophia Neophitou-Apostolou: the multi-tasker
(Pictured on the left) The editor and publisher of style bible 10 magazine has just left her creative director role at Harper's Bazaar. With possible time on her hands, she might be able to fill - so to speak - Carine's boots: the two get on famously well over a shared adoration of very high heels.

Giovanna Battaglia: keeping it in the family
The Italian former model has just left L'Uomo Vogue and shot her first fashion story for Vogue Paris. Battaglia is also the girlfriend of Carine's son, Vladimir Restoin-Roitfeld. Perhaps a way to keep the job among the Roitfeld clan?

Grace Coddington: the veteran
Coddington, the creative director of American Vogue, emerged as the poised and straight-talking 'star' of the documentary 'The September issue', which revealed a rare, behind-the-scenes view of the magazine. English-born and in her late sixties, she might be looking to move back to Europe, and can certainly mastermind inspirational shoots which bear a more commercial reach.

Katie Grand: the wild card
The British stylist and journalist - who masterminded the launch of Dazed & Confused, POP, and LOVE magazines, has plenty of editorial expertise. Her English eccentricity may prove 'trop bizarre' for the French though; she currently has a pet rabbit running around the LOVE office, and has a penchant for sheep.

Hedi Slimane: the master of all trades
The French-born designer/ photographer/ writer and furniture designer could surely master the role of magazine editor next? Having worked in the menswear divisions for iconic French fashion houses such as Yves Saint Laurent and Christian Dior, the clean-living 42-year-old could comfortably be the man to take the role.

Stephen Gan: the American influence
Filipino-Chinese Gan is the editor of V and founded Visionnaire magazine. Based in New York, there are whispers that he could be in line for Carine's coveted crown.

telegraph.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
That SHOCKING! :lol: :shock:
Anyway I think she got bumped by someone because her last year @ Vogue Paris has been very problematic(just remember the Balenciaga-blacklist issue etc...)
I wonder who's gonna replace her

^ No, No, No - it has to be FRENCH!

Alt is a weak possibility and Slimane has no experience!

WOW OMG I wasn't a fan of Carine or Vogue Paris these recent years (i'm more excited by Italian and American Vogue's contents and powerful editors-in-chiefs that are Sozzani and Wintour) but still she's been hugely influential and an amazing contributor to the magazine and it's really a shock I think for everybody, since it's very sudden and since people thought she was going to take the helms of US Vogue after Wintour would decide to retire. But yeah it is what it is: but I'm very curious to know who will be named editor-in-chief! Let's hope the mag won't suffer the change that Russian Vogue has these days.

Anna or Emmanuelle would be interesting choices...

Something I really don't want to see happening with VP is celebs on the cover. I will cry if that happens, hope it will keep it's soul.

I can see Fabien Baron/Karl Templer taking the position. Remember when Carine assumed the direction of Vogue Hommes International? Baron & Templer were interested in VHI but then greedy Carine also managed to grab it.

But my dream choice would be Nicole Wisniak:heart:

For Carine's next moves, my fantasy football scenario, emphasis on the word fantasy as I don't know all of the personalities and politics of the situation, is that Carine follows in Liz Tilberus' footsteps and comes to the US and takes over either Elle or Harper's Bazaar (preferably Elle). To me, being part of the U.S. publishing scene will be the best of both worlds, she will have a big budget to operate to serve a big market, but at the same time having to serve the puritanical US readership will serve as a check for her baser tendencies, not that the US publishing scene cannot stand to be sexed up a bit, but just not to the level that she was operating at VP. She probably cannot take a position at another magazine right away, so I am fine with her spending a year or so free-lancing for other publications or helping Tom Ford build his empire.

I don't want her to move to the US market, it seems to draw every ounce of creativity out of you.

I would actually like to see Slimane behind Vogue, but I think the one who has more posibilities is Emmanuelt... (or Giovanna, because of her "connections" and her similarities to old Carine)... At this time Vogue just needs someone to make the trasation into another big visionaire... but in the meantime, just someone else that continues in line with Carine's perspective. tough decision!

devastated to say the least :cry::doh:, i know VP had a dry year, but there were really good issues, just a few minutes ago i was browsing through my VP collection looking at some Gemma editorials, i'm feeling blue.
i don't want any of those people on that list in charge of VP, Alt would be the first choice but i think the result would be boring as hell.
i like the idea of a male editor in chief for VP, my choice would be Fabien Baron, but he's doing amazing things with Interview, so....other guesses...:huh:
i too find it really weird, the time of leaving, after the whole magazine redesign, and the font changes, i think february is the last issue, just like feb. was her first issue.
it would be great if Marie-Amélie Sauvé would return to VP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmatah
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->