Carine Roitfeld leaves Vogue Paris *Update* Emmanuelle Alt named new Editor-in-Chief

My dream play:

Carine to Tom Ford. I think Carine is best in this atmosphere and to be honest I believe that Tom is as well.

While I'd love to see Grace Coddington ascend to the throne at Vogue Paris I think there's no chance of seeing that. But if I were going to peg an outsider to get it... Katie Grand would be my choice. She's been commanding two of the most directional books and very successfully.

Shala Monroque is my wild card. Really wild but hey.. it's not lik I'm deciding

i could really see carine returning to tom ford in the short term. katie grand and shala monroque defintely remain interesting choices. i'm curious how someone like marie-amélie sauvé would do in the editor-in-chief role.

I just don't NOT want to see photos of Carine anymore as she inspires me to no end. But I respect her decision and understand that creativity has more than one outlet. But angst abounds. :ninja:

I wanna know what Cathy Horyn and Suzy Menkes think about this.

Katie Grand would be my choice. She's been commanding two of the most directional books and very successfully.

See, I think Katie Grand is going to get Vogue UK when Alexandra leaves. I feel like the whole point of Love, so far, has really been Conde Nast's chance to give Katie a test drive at the helm of a magazine until that day comes.

Carine Roitfeld leaves Vogue Paris

Paris Vogue editor to leave after 10-year tenure...
Who should replace her?

story source from AP:

Dec 17, 9:29 PM (ET)

PARIS (AP) - Paris Vogue says its editor-in-chief, Carine Roitfeld, has decided to leave after a 10-year tenure in which the French fashion monthly became "a worldwide reference and indispensable magazine."
The magazine says on its Web site that Roitfeld's years as the top editor were marked by "constant growth" both in terms of circulation and advertising.
Xavier Romatet, the head of Conde Nast France, the French arm of the U.S. publishing house, said he "of course" regrets Roitfeld's decision to leave "even if I understand it." He didn't elaborate.
Paris Vogue said in the online statement Friday that Roitfeld's departure would be effective "in several weeks." It didn't indicate what her future plans are.
Under Roitfeld, French Vogue has lived up to its reputation for pushing the envelope and has continued to be much edgier than its more commercial U.S. counterpart, with lots of nudes and sometimes overtly sex-seeped or disturbing spreads.
Roitfeld made waves with a recent shoot that featured supermodel Lara Stone in blackface, for example.
Another showed two models in identical bobbed wigs wearing only spike heels and carrying pricey leather handbags.
Roitfeld, a whip-thin woman with a penchant for vertiginous heels and body-conscious trench coats, has a reputation among industry for being friendly and approachable - in contrast with American Vogue's Anna Wintour, who is widely regarded as an ice queen. The two women have long been rumored to be rivals but are often seen chatting amicably at fashion shows.

She will be missed, Vogue Paris has such a strong point of view and creativity for sure Carine was part of that drive.

See, I think Katie Grand is going to get Vogue UK when Alexandra leaves. I feel like the whole point of Love, so far, has really been Conde Nast's chance to give Katie a test drive at the helm of a magazine until that day comes.

In my opinion Katie Grand has proven herself able to be able to take over a very powerful publication. To me, those would include Vogue Paris and Vogue US. I can't really figure out if I think Anna will be leaving anytime soon.

This will probably never happen but how about Grace (don't know her last name, from US Vogue) for the post? After watching The September Issue, it was clear who the real HBIC is, GRACE. She's fierce and chic and talented.

^ Coddington? As much as I like the idea, I don't know if Wintour could afford to lose her. She's the heart of US Vogue.

I have mixed feelings about this. I do love her VP vision but I have to admit it was getting stale. A decade is a good period, and now I am excited/nervous about new blood. I'd prefer if her replacement wasn't Alt; she's too allied with Carine in my mind to provide a new perspective.

As to what Carine will do in the future, I just can't believe she would leave VP unless there was a concrete offer for an editorship somewhere else. I can't see her being satisfied merely styling for (and hence working for) Tom Ford. I think she has a bit of an ego, so she loves being the director of the vision and the attention it commands, so being someone else's employee wouldn't satisfy. I do love her work, and seriously hope she will pop up somewhere else editing a publication that is quite different to VP (HB.US or W, but I don't think the power's that be are quite ready to give up on Tonchi yet). I strongly disagree that she is going to Vogue US; Anna seems to have a very firm grip on that post.

As a side note, I completly agree that Shulman needs to be moved on from Vogue UK. That magazine really needs to be re-vitalised. She has been there since 1992!!

Last edited by a moderator:
:cry: I did not see this coming at all. I feel like someone just died.

But I'm happy she didn't stay in a position that she no longer felt passionate about.

I wonder if she will team up with Tom Ford now?

I think that just as much as Anna depends on Grace for the creative direction of the mag, I think that Grace depends on Anna for her editing eye and for the ability to see fashion for the business... The combination is what makes US Vogue what it is. Anna my say I need another fur to go with that fur, and it may seem weird to Grace, who in turn does it, but then we find that everyone is wearing fur the next season... the excellence is in that partnership

As to what Carine will do in the future, I just can't believe she would leave VP unless there was a concrete offer for an editorship somewhere else. I can't see her being satisfied merely styling for (and hence working for) Tom Ford. I think she has a bit of an ego, so she loves being the director of the vision and the attention it commands, so being someone else's employee wouldn't satisfy. I do love her work, and seriously hope she will pop up somewhere else editing a publication that is quite different to VP (HB.US or W, but I don't think the power's that be are quite ready to give up on Tonchi yet). I strongly disagree that she is going to Vogue US; Anna seems to have a very firm grip on that post.

I really think that Carine nixed this concept with her statements. She doesn't want to be an editor... her entire time as an editor to be honest we've known her as a stylist. This is no offense to Carine herself but I believe that she's a very good stylist, and her editing comes after that. This is why she styles many of the shoots for the publication. I feel like she needs someone like Tom to sort of edit... basically an Anna to her Grace.

Best fashion-related news I've heard in AGES. :heart::heart:
Seriously, this woman just had to go, she was as bad as Wintour, not just in paper but also in the way she kept manipulating designers and strangling others. Let's just now get rid of Wintour and Della Russo and welcome some fresh new air into these magazines.

I hear you mulletproof!

All these granny-lolita women posing as fashion messiahs have bored the world to tears... :yuk:

i feel really shocked - i just open net and bum - this information hit me. I just can't imagine VP without her - i mean of course VP will sourvive and maybe it will be even better but for now i am too shocked and sad to think about future of this mag. I just can't really believe it.

i could really see carine returning to tom ford in the short term. katie grand and shala monroque defintely remain interesting choices. i'm curious how someone like marie-amélie sauvé would do in the editor-in-chief role.

i hadn't thought of Sauvé! she's definitely creative, probably a different perspective from carine, very french and very 'voguette'... but wouldnt she be too Ghesquiere?

Balenciaga has been harshly criticized for not allowing magazines and stylists at large to play around with their clothes, and thus forcing them to do head-to-toe looks in their editorials. Is that what we want for VOGUE Paris?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->