Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

I highly doubt that someone talked to Karl personally.
And, i also doubt that Karl had a special interview with Foley just to talk about that...This must have been mentionned in a random conversation about the oscars and everything. The whole thing feels like a random discussion...

On a side note: If i was Meryl, i would have kept the dress. A free Chanel Couture dress?^_^:wub:
I hope she will keep the dress even if she doesn't wear it for the Oscars

Again, this is WWD, not some gossip rag like PageSix. Do you know the stature of this publication? They would rather sit for days on a story and get the go-ahead from the source, instead of pushing ahead and publish at will. A slight like this could tarnish their relationship with the Wertheimers, which has been growing strong since the Fairchild years. Why risk all that for few random clicks? Add to that the fact that Karl is directly quoted here (not 'sources close to him'). So I believe he said this.

Meryl may well keep the dress, and perhaps even wear it to another event just to pacify Karl. And Micaela would want to make things right with Chanel, because her reputation and the rest of her clients clothing supply is in jeopardy because of this.

I think it's time for the fashion industry to tighten the reins when it comes to celebrities! Yes, maybe it is sour grapes on Karl's behalf, but at what stage did they tell him 'no'. The moment a dress in the atelier, it should be done. Plus it's free. I'm sure not even the richest customer would pull such a move.

^^
Maybe i wasn't really clear when i said "random discussion".
I know Karl said that but what i meant is that he may have talked about it when discussing with Bridget Foley while maybe talking about the Fendi show. I meant that the purpose of the interview may have not been just about the Meryl S thing.
He said that, she reported it and maybe asked if she can report it....But i don't think he called WWD to have an interview about Meryl S..

Wow, what a mess already.

If the story is true, I'm absolutely on team Karl. And frankly I don't see why he would make a press release stating something absolutely false. However, speaking of class, I don't think the bitterness the statement conveys (not necessarily calling her out per se) is very classy.

I still can't believe Meryl and her team would behave like this. Putting the relationship to one of the most important fashion houses at risk, just for a little money that won't even make much of a difference on Meryl's yearly paycheck? It's beyond me why she would do this, let alone her stylist who has worked with Chanel before and surely doesn't want to be at war with the house.
Maybe a misunderstanding of some sort?

Same could be said of the other side.

I still can't believe Karl and his team would behave like this. Putting the relationship to one of the most important actresses at risk, just for a little money that won't even make much of a difference on Chanel's yearly paycheck? It's beyond me why they would do this, let alone the designer who has worked with Meryl before and surely doesn't want to be at war with the actress.

Karl was the one who threw a fit and sent out a PR to WWD. A hurt dog will holler. I'm sure they've spent more time making adjustments and trips on other couture clients that are more time consuming and with more effort than just dropping a dress all together. He could have kept quiet, moved on and not even mention it, and if he did maybe in an interview or as a side comment later on about some actress dropping them, but not a full on PR to WWD.

I don't believe the kaiser, either. Maybe I'm going out on the proverbial limb here, but Karl has been publicly open about dressing the First Lady of the US while many other fashion designers and houses have remained quiet or flat out refused to do so. And with the recent political bickering between Streep and the President, she probably didn't want to promote Karl's brand.

^ Why would her team commission the dress with alterations and her measurements in the first place then? Something must have happened in the aftermath.

Chanel released a statement saying it wasn't true.. I am quite surprised.

Meryl is mad at KARL, CHANEL & WWD

On Saturday, Streep issued a statement to WWD: “In reference to Mr. Lagerfeld’s ‘statement,’ there is no ‘controversy’: Karl Lagerfeld, a prominent designer, defamed me, my stylist and the illustrious designer whose dress I chose to wear, in an important industry publication. That publication printed this defamation, unchecked. Subsequently, the story was picked up globally, and continues, globally, to overwhelm my appearance at the Oscars, on the occasion of my record-breaking 20th nomination, and to eclipse this honor in the eyes of the media, my colleagues and the audience. I do not take this lightly, and Mr. Lagerfeld’s generic ‘statement’ of regret for this ‘controversy’ was not an apology. He lied, they printed the lie, and I am still waiting.”

http://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/streep-fires-back-at-lagerfeld-wwd-10820959/

very embarassing - especially for WWD.

How can they go public with something so juicy without an info check with Streeps Team. Quite bad times also for quality journalism. Karl might now call his version "alternative facts".

This is so embarrassing. I was a bit surprised that the initial WWD article was published without an answer from Meryl's team - they could have waited for one before going along with the story; it's not like this was explosive news that they couldn't sit on for a day or two. Shame on Bridget for trusting Karl (I assume during a conversation after the Fendi show) without fact-checking first. This is a real smear.

Crikey, Meryl! Take it down a notch! One can tell that she is in many ways like a bird trapped in a gilded cage when it comes to Hollywood PR. This dramatic outburst alone alludes much to that. 'My record breaking 20th Oscar nomination' is being 'eclipsed'? Emphasis on 20TH! Wtf. Talk about vanity.

Micaela went to BoF to clear the situation up - according to her they only saw the sample size dress and Karl's sketches (with the modified neckline). Karl however is saying that by the time they notified him the dress already went into production (this I believe!). So someone must've given him the go ahead.

All that said, I am now inclined to believe that Karl may have seeked WWD out purely to release that statement. WWD's only blunder was failing to reach out to Meryl for comment (which l think may have been a directive from Karl?).

Hopefully this debacle will really change the fashion x celebrity game. Because none of this wouldve happened if they paid their way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I believe more that what Karl said was true, but he obviously said it without informing anyone at the Chanel PR team and they don't seem to liked it. Also Streep's statement:blink:

Crikey, Meryl! Take it down a notch! One can tell that she is in many ways like a bird trapped in a gilded cage when it comes to Hollywood PR. This dramatic outburst alone alludes much to that. 'My record breaking 20th Oscar nomination' is being 'eclipsed'? Emphasis on 20TH! Wtf. Talk about vanity.

Micaela went to BoF to clear the situation up - according to her they only saw the sample size dress and Karl's sketches (with the modified neckline). Karl however is saying that by the time they notified him the dress already went into production (this I believe!). So someone must've given him the go ahead.

All that said, I am now inclined to believe that Karl may have seeked WWD out purely to release that statement. WWD's only blunder was failing to reach out to Meryl for comment (which l think may have been a directive from Karl?).

Hopefully this debacle will really change the fashion x celebrity game. Because none of this wouldve happened if they paid their way.

So, designers should continue to pay celebs to wear their garments? That's why this "issue" arose in the first place.

Also, why shouldn't Meryl be upset about being called out for something that wasn't true, and saying that his blanket "apology" wasn't acceptable? She is right, because today even tho everyone is well aware of her nomination and her accomplishments, the likelihood of this being mentioned in an interview or writeup about the ceremony has increased. Especially because she won't be wearing Chanel to the event.

Now I believe more that what Karl said was true, but he obviously said it without informing anyone at the Chanel PR team and they don't seem to liked it. Also Streep's statement:blink:

So, Chanel apologized and misspoke, but you still believe Karl? He was wrong in saying she decided against wearing the dress because she found a brand that would pay her.

So, Chanel apologized and misspoke, but you still believe Karl? He was wrong in saying she decided against wearing the dress because she found a brand that would pay her.
Yes i believe that she decide to wear a dress(that will obviously be nice) AND get paid for it but also believe that Karl shouldn't have said anything. The fact that Chanel apologized doesn't necessarily mean that Karl was lying, they tried to avoid a war with Meryl. And it's not like if she is indeed getting paid she will parade to the press saying "hey I wear nice dresses and i'm getting paid". That would hurt her image

Very shameful for Karl... even if there is an ounce of truth in his statement to badmouth Meryl in a written publication is so low. I don't find Meryl's statement about defamation over the top at all. She already is getting a TON of heat for making those golden globe statements about Trump from HALF of the country who supported him and this story makes her look even more "elitist" and "out of touch" and truly does threaten to overshadow a big achievement in her career.

TEAM MERYL.

Not even strong enough from Meryl, but glad someone stands up to this cranky and unprofessional old man. This isn't the 90s anymore when he would 'share' his gossip-loving opinions to the press, start rumors and take other fashion characters down. I'm glad that after all the numerous nonsense he's spit out against women with actual careers (read: not it girls, heiresses, coco look-alikes or whatever "chanel ambassador" stands for), someone with a voice, legacy and work ethic much larger and significant than he could ever dream of is putting him back into place... the timing and content of his comment couldn't look more opportunistic just hours before the event, he resents Hollywood business judging by the use of plural ("them"), but by all means let's jump on the ride the way fashion people desperate do every single time. :lol:

So, designers should continue to pay celebs to wear their garments? That's why this "issue" arose in the first place.

Eh, I obviously meant that celebrities should pay if they want a dress, not expect it for free. Because guess what, if she had to pay for her dress I bet she wouldn't run all over town to line up dresses.
The only ones who should be getting comped dresses must be official spokespersons who signed contracts (Marion, Charlize et al). And the mere fact that Meryl, who seemingly don't care for fashion, who don't even have that much of a fashion reach, never goes to fashion weeks, MET galas, work on campaigns or give much fashion press, had the audacity to send her monkey out to procure freebies, AND got to pick and choose is preposterous in itself. If she had that much 'honour' and integrity then she should pay her way!

What's the difference between wearing a free dress and getting paid to wear a free dress? Very little, if you ask me.

Wow, Meryl's statement...the way it is phrased actually makes me dislike her, even more than if the story had indeed been true.

I do think there's an ounce (or even more) of truth in it after all. Karl is a drama queen and obviously took it too far this time, but I guess he wouldn't go complain to WWD about something that is completely made up.
Definitely didn't help either of them.

Wow Meryl's statement made me dislike her
..she seems very full of herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->