Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

.. the whole thing is kind of hilarious and zoolanderish :rofl:

from thedailybeast

I also like how the article repeats he was immediately sent back to Germany... as if it was so catastrophic he's now being exiled to... Germany, that land far from Paris, never to be seen again. :lol:

I'm downright howling at this turn of events. :rofl: :rofl:
"Yes, how very dare you not walk up and down a runway exactly like I told you to? For that, you must be swept away from everything you love and be kept in a cold dungeon in a far, far away land called Germany for the rest of your days, to pay the ultimate price for your heinous and unspeakable crime!" I'm in stitches, I have to say. :rofl:

^I mean he more or less shoes the same thing every single season so he pretty much relies on some sort of gimmick to get him some press.

Don't think so, you have to go to reddit and other forums to see how people go mad for his clothes season after season. He's still major to a large some.

:lol:, this Daily Beast piece is absolutely hilarious.

He was always late, never on time, I always knew he was crazy. Rick was the only one who would book him. Rick was supportive of him, even if he was always late.

On a serious note though, it's weird to see both Owens and Gödel pile so heavily on this guy. Agencies aren't usually this candid, and I actually liked Eva before this. Part of me feel they're going out of their way to paint him as an ungrateful nutter.

No, I have no idea. Maybe Jera was drunk. It wasn’t an intelligent statement. It was idiotic. I have no idea. I don’t understand. It is so sad this is what people are talking about, when they should be talking about Rick’s show.

Right, just like his last show where people talked about the clothes instead of the procession of hairy todgers on the runway.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think rick emphasized that he punched the guy to show that he disagrees with his opinion

Also, it's funny that jera is being sent to the country ruled by the lady he hates

^ well he's German... but they sure make him sound like a model whose life and entire family hangs from the 2 minutes he models Rick's clothes every 6 months. :lol:

I'm not sure the comic con attendees at reddit are a good reference point for fashion consumerism but I do agree Rick Owens stuff is still as fresh as day one among 'cool' dads..

^^^ LOL Always coming through with such shade!

Zoolander and Boris can only wish to come up with such a classic: Obscure nutter model muse exiled to the dreadful land of forlorn Germany where fashion never grows by furious "be sure to let everyone know I punched him (because I'm a manly man)" fashion maven...

BTW, I'm not clear either what the point of his protest was: "Please Kill Angela Merkel (...) Not". So he supports her...? Not...? Perhaps something lost in translation? It's a tad embarrassing when your protest statement is extremely confusing-- and kind of hard to see. He comes off as the type that may be deeply into something one day, then the next is so over it and moved onto the next shiny object. I'm sure he'll survive his exile.

^My take on it is that, since the collection was about protests and male aggression, he wanted to be a smarta*s and actually protest in the middle of the runway, which in turn, incited the male aggression between him and Rick. Of course, this is just a theory, but unless we come to know otherwise, I'm sticking with it because it makes the whole thing that much funnier. "How very dare you incite protesting and male aggression on a show about protesting and male aggression! Off to the pits you go!"

I'm not sure the comic con attendees at reddit are a good reference point for fashion consumerism but I do agree Rick Owens stuff is still as fresh as day one among 'cool' dads..

Some of them even get chances to pre-see in Paris.:ninja: Comic Con money can talk too.
And there are forums of suits or clothes-interested (not even fashion) forums follow no other than RO in all fashion month scheduled brands. It's a cult after all, everyone knows that.

Jera is known to be an "activist" and seems to have connections with the movement "Occupy Hamburg" so I would say he's anti-Merkel. And the "not" part was just to protect himself from any future inconvenient with the German authorities.

Some of them even get chances to pre-see in Paris.:ninja: Comic Con money can talk too.
And there are forums of suits or clothes-interested (not even fashion) forums follow no other than RO in all fashion month scheduled brands. It's a cult after all, everyone knows that.
Hardly a cult. Any group, be it online or real life, with a heavy if not exclusively concentration of men, will devour Rick's stuff, partly because it targets the peter pan complex, partly because men like their men domineering and telling them so. They can call it a cult, a sect, a religion, 'goth ninjaness', noir zeitgeist, barbarian mysticism, whatever bulls*it name rhymes.. at the end of the day you have 5 guys uniformed and looking like they have one or none ideas of their own, priding themselves because they're uniformed and it took a lot of financial reward and word of mouth access to get there... an achivement no different (or harder) than consuming any other label devoted to status back in the late 80s and 90s and a lifestyle approach that can be found among bankers or technology entrepeneurs... specific luxury goods items? check, michelin-starred restaurants? check, overpriced furniture from hole in the wall atelier in nameless alley in northern italian village? check. No one calls hipsters a cult and certainly not bankers..

If his clients or admirers feel good thinking it is one and embellishing extravagant spending with some values or ideas, more power to them, better than getting together to kill others or look at pics of kids, but the sole basis of it, which is luxury shopping, is laughable, and for the frequent displays of douchebaggery and class superiority in cities plagued by inequality, you might as well distribute tees that say 1% and call it a cult.

Last edited by a moderator:
^
"In the aftermath of Owens' SS14 show, we take a look back at his unique cult following." - Dazed

"Rick Owens. Designer, Rick Owens. He has earned a cult following for his sharp, distressed leather jackets and an all-black, 'grungy glamorous' aesthetic." - BoF

"The cult of Rick Owens is twenty years old this month, a celebratory moment that has been played out across fashion week in parties, events ..." - Another Magazine

"It's been said before that most people take my clothes more seriously than I do." - Rick interview for iafrica.com

People parading in his clothes often stated they only wear RO, in an era of mix and match, anything this much larger than life I consider it a cult.

^ you're free to consider a fashion designer larger than life and call it a cult, no crime in that but it doesn't mean it has any impact or any structure that suggests some dogma, membership, social defiance, fear of abandonment and the rest of the package. Does it operate subculture-like? yes, it sells products taken from actual subcultures with history and some degree of substance, blends it and sells it to the rich man that's attracted to the aesthetic and the prettiness and weight of the price tag and whose secured place in society barely allows him to defy it through a dropped crotch. Will multiplying this man and his motives by 40,000 give us a subculture then?... no, what we get is fashion label with 40,000 customers.

Fashion journalism is just fashion journalism.. over the top adjectives, repeating what the previous journalist said, using impressionable words to sell, sucking up to designers for obvious reasons, especially Dazed- look at the lenghts of the propaganda they've published on Rick Owens, of course they're going to call it a cult and expect you to be a good reader and do as they say...

Just out of curiosity, what is a cult like to you, can you give an example please?

^^^ I don't mean to bud in on this-- and I know I am, so apologies if I'm being intrusive. I don't think there's a cult of personality with Rick, aside from the hyperbole that's enflamed by certain publications-- for, yes, obvious reasons. I don't take that type of journalism propagated by these publications as an truthful barometer for what is reality-- of high fashion. And that's what we're talking about here: A high fashion designer influencing a legion of worshippers. High fashion as a cult may be convincingly argued, but a single designer spawning a blindly devoted mass...? I don't think so.

I had dinner with an artist friend of mine over a week ago, and she's a Rick fan and wears mostly his designs. We talked at length about him, and she mentioned that she buys his stuff on sale only. So, as much as she wears mostly his designs, I don't think she'd follow him to a shallow grave should there be a demise of his designs-- or his person. And that's something members of a cult would commit to passionately.

Jera is known to be an "activist" and seems to have connections with the movement "Occupy Hamburg" so I would say he's anti-Merkel. And the "not" part was just to protect himself from any future inconvenient with the German authorities.

Thanks for the clarafication. So he's an "activist" wuss: An anarchist who's not willing to fully commit to his "beliefs" and put his money where his mouth is... God, I loathe such people.

OK, I guess you probably take it on a society issue rather than a description of state. I'm thinking about cult movie's kind of cult, not exactly a solid formation of religion kind of thing. That would be way out of control and of course I don't believe anyone would buy clothes to their graves. Then how do you describe Rick's fans in any other word, Phuel?

It's not what it is to me, there have been entire careers devoted to that field.. you can google Marc Galanter or Talcott Parsons and take it from there. They have good reads and the latter especially studied the two topics here, actual cults and the amount of repeated elements found in them and at some point in his career, the many areas of the social system (class, status, the style system, relational reward). Between the Chanel ladies of decades ago and the pride and loyalty to the brand and the solemnity of their description and quotes of Coco... and the all black ensembles and Nike shoes of Heaven's Gate.. I can assure you Rick and his customers are nowhere in the middle..

I'd like to add that the term cult is used loosely because that's 'fun' journalism (not exclusive to fashion).. they don't take it upon themselves to back anything they publish with empirical knowledge. So when they say Christiane F is a cult favorite for example, they don't actually mean there's a cult and the cult loves that :smile:doh:smile:.. it simply means not a lot of people know about it and the few that do rave about it and therefore so should you. It's a word that sells and makes you double look.

I didn't respond to the term as serious as you do, but I understand it now. And yes, your Christiane F description is pretty much what i was going for. It's just a cultural difference, we see things with die hard fanbase, we say it is cult. And use "shenguen" to describe an actual cult religion and its leader.

Still, what term do you use to talk about RO fans?

LOL maybe he meant to send it to his next p*rn star boyfriend? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->