London & United Kingdom Schools ... for Fashion

I was going to start a new thread but i thought it may be best to write in this as it is a UK question, so please someone reply!!

What it is, I have always been unsure of what my 'career' choice would be since i was young. I went to college took random A-Levels, i am now in university studying for a degree in childhood studies. Which basically qualifies you to work with children in almost every child setting.

I have always had a passion for art, although i am not an artist. It actually frustrates me that i cant draw like i wish i could. So from that i know i could never be a designer, i just dont have the drawing creativity although i have the image creativity (if that makes sense!) So ive been thinking for a while now that i would like to be a stylist.

I have researched as much as i could into being a stylist because i was willing to change university courses, but to much knowledge there isnt any university courses.

I think a stylist is more of learning through experience and being given the oppurtunity!

So i was wondering if anyone can give me advice into becoming a stylist?
Is there any educational courses?
Is there any internship programmes that would be willing to accept an unexperienced person?

Any advice would help me loads, contacts, whatever!!
I would just like to experience working within the styling industry.

My boyfriend works in an international branded store and there is a woman who is a 'visual merchandiser' that sounds like a way into styling but i dont even know how you start with that!!

Thanks. xo

P.S. As i am from the North West of England i would preferably rather knowing anything based in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone knows if there are courses in any UK schools for styling they can offer the information here for you ... naming the school and telling you what they know about the courses there.

However asking about how to become a stylist, and about internships should be in the ongoing threads on those subjects. I know that the question about schooling for stylists (none) is answered many times in the stylist thread as well as how to get it started and where you need to live, etc.

Here is a list of threads where you should do some research and post specific questions if they are not already answered in the thread:

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist
All About Internships and Work Experience Placements
Visual Merchandising / Window Dressing / Display

Also these threads are also related to your seach (fashion editors are stylists, too so check that out)
Searching for My Perfect Fashion Career - HELP!!
Future & Present Fashion Editors

HTH!

Thanks so much. I find it a little difficult to navigate through so many posts.
Really appreciate your help :smile:

i am really interested to go some school in London, fashion/styling or make up artist related. any tips? prices?

What is a good fashion university in the UK for someone who has had American schooling?

I'm pretty sure Karen Millen went to University for the Creative Arts... :blink:

Yup I'm also pretty sure she did... the alumni list i found was...

Alia Gargum, N1 Creative founder and chief designer of Alexander Mcqueen
Erin O'Connor, model
Mich Dulce, Pinoy Big Brother: Celebrity Edition housemate
Kirsty Gallacher, sports presenter
Michelle Hogg, make up artist and Securitas depot robbery witness
Harriet Jagger, journalist
Nicola Jeal, journalist
Angel Locsin, actress and model
Andrew Ramroop, tailor
Julianne Regan, musician
Rachel Stevens, popstar
Alek Wek, model
Chris Liu, fashion designer
Patrick Cox, footwear designer
Belle & Bunty, fashion designers

LCF's rep is dropping. My friend just graduated from there last year, and she got 15 minutes a week with a tutor and their graduate display thing was so hard to use (and they've withdrawn themselves from gfw??). Unless you knew who to look for you would never stumble over a good student, because there were hundreds of these buisiness cards to use on 2 interactive screens... She was so so angry because she couldn't work out where her fees were going and they've never got in contact with her since to see how she's doing, when part of their job is to sell their graduates!. Other people I know there say the only reason they're sticking it out is to put it on their CVs. BUT my friends on the makeup for screen and tv courses are very happy so they do have some gems of courses

I think there is always going to be the UAL snobbery from people who go there. But you just have to go to GFW to see that there are other universities more up and coming. We share lots of tutors with CSM (some of them from the MA for our BA), but get so much more one on one time with them because our year groups are a third of the size (with only a couple of internationals, so people are taken on on the basis of their work not their fee code). Ravensbourne has won GFW student of the year for the past two years, and their new campus in North Greenwich looks like it's going to be stunning. My foundation year there was the happiest days of my life. Such a great community of creative people. UCCA Epsom has had brilliant things said about them recently and they're only just out of london so you can still access the fabric shops and stay away from the chaos the rest of the time. Nottingham Trent may not be in the South but their rep is also getting huge as graduates go. And it's an amazing student town. Kingston and Middlesex are also getting great attention from the industry.

If anyone has any questions about Westminster/Ravensbourne feel free to message me

its really varied but roughly its like this. st martins and chelsea arts is for design or the creative side of fashion. ucl or more academic schools like that are for journalism. london college of fashion is good for journalism too.

University of East London?

Hi!

I just have been turned down by CSM and LCF (it wasn't very surprising to me...) but get an offer from School of Architecture and the Visual Arts (AVA) on University of East London. I must admit that I know completely nothing about this university. Can anyone post me some opinion etc. (best about fashion design course)?

Does anybody know anything about fashion studies at the AIU?:blush:

I see you're writing about these other Uni's that offers fashion studies as well. But I'm not sure how far from London these are located.

Am planning on living in London, as central as possible, so what Uni's are located in London?:flower:

I don't know where to put this, but this seems right.

Anyone actually attending a Fashion Design education? I've been myself for about a year now. But looking back and at my current situation, I don't know if I like it. I have absolutely no life besides the one I have at school. The only thing I do is work my *** off to pay the rent and make homework. I have two weeks to finish my endproject for this year and haven't seen my friends in over a month and haven't had a day to chill for even longer period of time. I'm stressed out to the max, I look like I just got hit by a car. I just got this small test back where I didn't pass, which feels like a hit in the face.

So my question is; will it ever pay off? Is all this worth it? I love art and fashion more than anything, but they make it so ****ing hard sometimes. It's like they want to test me, how far I'm willing to go.

I have a problem and this is the only place i can come to for good advice.

So basically, it's taken me 7 years to realise i was going in the wrong direction and i really want to do a fashion degree. I can draw quite well and have a collection of sketches I have made over the years. The only remotely artistic subject i have done is Design and Technology at GCSE level.

However, I want to know whethere there are any colleges/univerisities that would take me on considering my acdemic background. I have always had a respect for designers and my passion as become somewhatt of an obsession which i cannot igonre.

so can anyone help me to find somewhere i can learn the basics then do a degree without having done Art A Level??

Here's a silly question:
Does anyone know how to find the schedule for Central Saint Martins student fashion shows? My husband and I saw posters up at the school on Sunday, and I'd like to go, but I can't figure it out on the CSM website! Does anyone know if it's open to the public and if so, how we go about getting tickets?
many thanks!

I have a problem and this is the only place i can come to for good advice.

So basically, it's taken me 7 years to realise i was going in the wrong direction and i really want to do a fashion degree. I can draw quite well and have a collection of sketches I have made over the years. The only remotely artistic subject i have done is Design and Technology at GCSE level.

However, I want to know whethere there are any colleges/univerisities that would take me on considering my acdemic background. I have always had a respect for designers and my passion as become somewhatt of an obsession which i cannot igonre.

so can anyone help me to find somewhere i can learn the basics then do a degree without having done Art A Level??

You should maybe enquire about foundation year courses, depending on how good your drawing is and as long as you have some decent marks from school they may take you on, have a look at college websites and see what the requirements are for entry, it's great prep for University (the majority of students go through a foundation year before a design degree) and if you can prove yourself there and build a decent portfolio it would be much easier to get into a design course at university.

Peace and Pout, I'm doing a Fashion degree myself, it can be very tough, especially around deadlines, personally it runs me down to the degree that I'm unwell at times, I'm just about to go into my final year though, so that will be the real test. You've just got to remind yourself how much you love it, would you rather work yourself this hard for anything else? Keep yourself inspired.

Just thought i'd toot the De Montfort University horn. They are really under the radar but getting sooo good now. This year they had so many finalists and winners of competitions.

I go to Glasgow Caledonian and study fashion marketing... anyone got any idea what the reputation is like? Its the best course in Scotland since it's the only fashion marketing degree in Scotland, and I'm not stupid enough to think it holds a candle to St Martins but just out of curiousity...

I basically do a business degree with fashion specific modules and I enjoy it anyway!

So urgent problem.
I'm planning on pursuing a career in Fashion Journalism. What specific courses and where in UK should i do it???????

reply asap!

^^ London College of Fashion seems to be the school of choice for fashion journalism, but I suggest you read through both the thread about LCF and the thread specifically about fashion journalism before you make any major decisions :flower:

I'm going to study Fashion Design at The Circus in Bath in September :smile:
Way looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->