London & United Kingdom Schools ... for Fashion

i have up to 5 choices. i want to mainly choose english lit as its more respected and can lead to different things...with fashion you dont need to definitely do fashion journalism. what other universities should i look at...

Although I am getting mentally ready for Kwantlen, BC, Canada, I am still looking at Liverpool John Moore's Fashion program but due to tuition cost for Canadians, I am also looking at a smaller college in the UK.
Anyone here knows about the LJM program or anything about it?
thanks
FabF

What are the best schools for fashion photography?
I really having trouble looking for the best one.

I'm not sure how many "fashion photography" courses actually exist, however I will give you a tip. A normal photography degree will probably teach you more and the best photography degrees are much more respected than the best "fashion photography" degrees

A friend of mine went to salford (i think..) which, even though it's not in the centre of things, is apparently incredibly respected as a photography degree. My university, westminster, also has a fantastic photography course (our Media art and design school comes high up in the research tables at the moment. In one table we;re 0.2 score below oxford) and as the fashion design degree is also based there, you can no doubt volunteer yourself to do lots of fashion shoots (as many of our projects require them!!)

Does anybody know anything about fashion studies at the AIU?:blush:

Pleasepleaseplease don't. This is in fact probably far too late but as a warning to everyone else.

I have lots of friends there. Their fees are astronomical and their studio is tiny. Their saving grace is that apparently their tutors are pretty cool. But I've spoken to several of my tutors about it and they've NEVER heard of the university.

On top of this you have to pay extra for the dual degree, which is from University of Southbank (renowned for nursing degrees) as well as taking extra modules.

Basically either look at other universities or reapply next year

fashion photography at LCF is supposed to be really good. they have a brand new studio in one of their campuses as well (which oddly enough we're going to have to vacate so talk about a waste of money)

i have a friend who wants to do fashion photography and went on to a normal photography course in newport, in wales. she's really really good and thought it was really hard to get in :shock:

College (not Uni) courses in the UK for Fashion PR

Extremely interested in this, but struggling to find college's that do a suitable course?

I'd prefer a scottish college or northern england if possible.

Anyone able to help?

xxx

Hi there:blush:

I AM going to study fashion in London this fall, the schools I have noticed are London college of Fashion, American Intercontinental University and Istituto Marangoni.

But, can anyone tell me anything about Istituto Marangoni? I couldn't find any ''reviews'' online.

And, which schools is the best for fashion marketing, management, promotion?

Thanks for all thoughts :blush:

Hi folks i've applied to 5 schools in the UK as an international student (UCLAN,Ravensbourne,Manchester Met,Birmingham city and Fulmouth)
I,m fininshing up my portfolio but I'm not so sure about how good it is. I've included a few life drawings, lots of watercolored sketches, two pics i made using magazine cut outs and a few which I made using photo shop. I have two shirts I've made as well.

^do you think that thats enough or do you have any tips on what else I can do to improve it?:flower:

by the way are those schools I've listed trully hard to get into?????
thanks for you help

I have a question...
which college would be better for me, CSM or London College of Fashion?
I wanna major in fashion design.

The Fashion Retail Academy in London is really good, especially before or instead of Uni. They offer 1 year, 2 year courses and foundation degrees.

There I studied fashion management, retail branding, visual merchandising, styling and store operations.

http://www.fashionretailacademy.ac.uk/

Were the courses good?

I would personally wait til University but I'd definately take evening classes or something along those lines :smile:

Studying Fashion at AIU - London

Has anyone heard much about American InterContinental University?
I came across them and they offer courses for Fashion Marketing which can be combined with design and that's what I'm interested in.

But I haven't heard much about the uni? So was wondering if you guys had? I would study at the London Campus.

Oh and apparently Christian Siriano (Project Runway winner) was a London AIU student?

to those that study/ied there accommo? get on campus or arrange off campus?

See the posts above ... there's some info about AIU already here. And there might be more info, earlier in the thread.

Has anyone heard much about American InterContinental University?
I came across them and they offer courses for Fashion Marketing which can be combined with design and that's what I'm interested in.

But I haven't heard much about the uni? So was wondering if you guys had? I would study at the London Campus.

Oh and apparently Christian Siriano (Project Runway winner) was a London AIU student?

to those that study/ied there accommo? get on campus or arrange off campus?

From what I know about the University, they can provide accommodation for you, but it's quite expensive and after a term many students choose to rent privately. The campus is a few buildings around marlyebone high street (as many london universities are like. There are very few actual "Campus" universities in london, there just isn't the space). To be fair lots of my friends really enjoy being there, but because it's an american university it's not well known in the UK, and it runs on a major/minor system which seems to mean they have to juggle fashion modules with academic ones. I would say if you want to get an american degree it's probably you're only real option in London. But it's worth having a look at their wikipedia page under "criticisms". The other thing is you're paying american fees, not british ones, so if you're wanting to save money enrolling as an international at a british university would probably save you money.

I want to study in London and I was wondering which fashion school (and course) would be best for me. My main career choice is too work as a stylist for a magazine. I'm also thinking about merchandising and PR, but those are slightly more minor considerations for me. Where do you guys think I should go?

its hard to say because a course like that is rare to find (a place i mean) so many people want to do it. plus you have to consider that it may not be respectable! some colleges do 'fashion journalism' courses and it is definitely not respectable, i have friends on those courses and they regret it so much. my best suggestion is to take a subject close to writing like history or english if you want to go into writing...(at a magazine) and styling, doesn't need a degree. its about interning and connections.

however if you do want to go ahead and study it there is a new 'styling' course opened up recently in september by 2 stylists. google it!

Miss-V is correct. There is no single "course" of study that will prepare you to work for a fashion magazine, either as a journalist (writer) or a fashion editor (sttylist). It's extremely competitive and very complex ... there are dozens of ways to get a job, but only those with the best connections seem to make it at the higher levels.

Here's some important information that might be of interest to you, in other threads:

How to Get Work in Fashion Magazine Publishing (see Post #1 for related threads)

What Education is Needed to get into Magazines / Publishing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->