Most Overpriced Designer? #3

Anyone got 65k spare bucks for a 100% turkey feather coat from Vaccarello?
View attachment 1316694
The fox red heart coat by Hedi for YSL was 14,000 €, obviously precious turkeys are much more expensive 8 years later :innocent: .

I think it was clear that they have absolutely no interest in actually selling clothes, the production and the space they takes in stores are an annoyance and a cost to them.
They do clothes for marketing reasons - runways, red carpets, campaigns, fashion covers/ed - garments are used only to sell the bags, shoes and sunglasses they don't show on runways.

The tag is no way related to anything except MBA CEOs calculating revenues and margins per square meters.

Charli and Lorde wore this collection at the Sweat tour recently. I assume her version doesn’t tear as easily since she has to wear it many times. Charli is wearing a similar/same fur coat.
IMG_9639.jpeg

Source: WWD

I remember saying in this thread that the prices of RTW are insane and I was shown some receipts on how YSL lowered the prices on some entry level kind of bags….

This is the reality.
Anyone got 65k spare bucks for a 100% turkey feather coat from Vaccarello?
View attachment 1316694
In comparison, the Cashmere/Shearling coats from Celine are 12/13K.

At least we know this collection won’t make it to the outlet lol.

I remember saying in this thread that the prices of RTW are insane and I was shown some receipts on how YSL lowered the prices on some entry level kind of bags….

This is the reality.

In comparison, the Cashmere/Shearling coats from Celine are 12/13K.

At least we know this collection won’t make it to the outlet lol.
NO! I was already starting to save money to grab the turkey feather oversized Niki bag at the outlet next year!
Do you think it's gonna get 90% discount at Florence outlet mall? For 3k I might be getting on board with that... :mrgreen:
Now watch Hermes hopping on the feather bandwagon and release feathered Birkins and Kellys for 200k to bored rich Singaporean ladies...

1728651344749.png

At least the feathers here are real. I still remember those acrylic "fur" coats from AW22 that were selling for 12k.
This is a misnomer, "marabou" here means turkey chicks feathers, not the African stork known as "marabout"/ "marabou" which was effectively used decades ago and is still used in Haute Couture. There are as commom as the feathers for duvets.
You can find similar turkey feather capes and coats for less than $500. And vintage YSL ones in at 3,000.

How and why is this jacket $24,000AUD ($16,000USD) ?? Is this really the price of a Chanel jacket these days?

temp 2.JPG tempImageMSnQjW.jpg
CHANEL

looks about right, it was already more than 10k before pandemic.
Those were between 4,000 and 8,000 € 10 years ago. Chanel just progressively raised the prices by 500 twice a year. Pandemic or not, just because they can.
Cause honestly all the production and logistics issues are definitely over, the zipper (YKK, Riri) war is over.

How and why is this jacket $24,000AUD ($16,000USD) ?? Is this really the price of a Chanel jacket these days?

View attachment 1317266 View attachment 1317265
CHANEL
Those are the prices…
You can still get a classic jacket from their non-runway collection for 6500€ but that’s it.

Tbh, this collection is probably my favorite ever by Virginie. When I was sent the prices of the pieces I was lurking by my S.A. I was shocked even though at this point I’m used to it. 1 jacket/dress was 11K and the sweaters were 4/5K. Ok it’s cashmere but no…

But funny enough, the bags are well priced. Yes, the classics are still 10K but the rest is good. I think everybody assume all the bags are 10K anyway lol

Those are the prices…
You can still get a classic jacket from their non-runway collection for 6500€ but that’s it.

Tbh, this collection is probably my favorite ever by Virginie. When I was sent the prices of the pieces I was lurking by my S.A. I was shocked even though at this point I’m used to it. 1 jacket/dress was 11K and the sweaters were 4/5K. Ok it’s cashmere but no…

But funny enough, the bags are well priced. Yes, the classics are still 10K but the rest is good. I think everybody assume all the bags are 10K anyway lol
The first Cruise (station train) and Metiers D'Art (Rue Cambon staircase) show after Karl's passing and the Hollywood one (Spring 2021) were her best.
This Fall Winter 2024 is very inoffensive and barely there in terms of style and proposition if you ask me. The shearling coats and looks gave me a really strong H&M winter line.

That look is one of the blandest one and the overall price (eur) is insane:
- Jacket: 13900
- Sweater: 4200
- Skirt: 5650
- Bag: 9800
- Belt: 1890
- Boots: 2500
- Earrings: 980
- Choker: 1280
- Necklace: 1180
- Long necklace: 2830
TOTAL: a whopping 43230 bucks.

The most shameful is definitely the fashion jewelry: 2k for gold colored copper that will tarnish after a rainy day is just shameful.

I'm sorry but I disagree, 5500 for a seasonal mini bag is anything but well priced.
Mini bag like this should cost max 4000, even if it's from CHANEL. It's literally a big layer of caviar leather folded up, it does not even have the stitched quilting...even lower production cost.
1728910874093.png

The first Cruise (station train) and Metiers D'Art (Rue Cambon staircase) show after Karl's passing and the Hollywood one (Spring 2021) were her best.
This Fall Winter 2024 is very inoffensive and barely there in terms of style and proposition if you ask me. The shearling coats and looks gave me a really strong H&M winter line.

That look is one of the blandest one and the overall price (eur) is insane:
- Jacket: 13900
- Sweater: 4200
- Skirt: 5650
- Bag: 9800
- Belt: 1890
- Boots: 2500
- Earrings: 980
- Choker: 1280
- Necklace: 1180
- Long necklace: 2830
TOTAL: a whopping 43230 bucks.

The most shameful is definitely the fashion jewelry: 2k for gold colored copper that will tarnish after a rainy day is just shameful.
I'm sorry but I disagree, 5500 for a seasonal mini bag is anything but well priced.
Mini bag like this should cost max 4000, even if it's from CHANEL. It's literally a big layer of caviar leather folded up, it does not even have the stitched quilting...even lower production cost.
View attachment 1317355

They were probably her best but my favorite ever from her is FW2014…Precisely because it’s her most inoffensive. It’s mostly separates, the color palette is not horrid and her dresses aren’t as atrocious as usual. Even her denim is passable.
I like the short shearling coat, there’s a kind of long white tweed dress/cape with a slit in the middle that are kind of great. And I saw one big bag at like 5900€. The deauville knitwear is also fantastic.

Tbh, Chanel is the most overpriced brand around but in some ways, I think it’s also one of those brand where the logic sometimes disappear when it comes to shopping.

It’s totally ridiculous and irrational. And I think it’s the beauty of the brand. The most I have ever spend on 1 single item of Clothing was at Chanel. It was totally irrational. Last year, I saw a shearling jacket at YSL, the same price as that said Chanel piece and I found every other excuse to not purchase it even if I really loved it.

Chanel is never really worth it but it’s totally worth it at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BerkeleyStudent
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->