Prada F/W 05.06 Milan

Very nice! I usually like Prada and I like this. I even like what I can see of the shoes, and I always hate the shoes. But I don't this collection represents a step forward, or backwards, or a step in any particular direction, really; it all looks like typical Prada to me.

amchan said:
it is sad to hear she said:"To go back to something structured, strong and womanly, to strip back the ""stupid"" frills, print and decoration", while her current summer collection is full of frills, print and decoration...is the word "stupid" too strong?

Isn't it also commercial suicide?! Isn't she basically saying, "my current collection is rubbish, just wait till winter", or is it all just part of fashion's big commercial juggernaught?

^Maybe most of her clients already paid for their Spring/Summer orders :P

That isn't an unusual thing for designers to do, though; in their eagerness to articulate that they've done something new, they end up dissing the collection that's hanging in stores as they speak. Halfway through last season, you started to hear designers deriding the whole "ladylike" thing when they'd created it a few months earlier.

In any case, there probably won't be any lasting consequences for Prada. You just know that those peacock feathers will still be in every issue of every fashion magazine on the face of the earth for the next few months. And you just know that people are still going to buy them...no matter how stupid La Miuccia thinks they are now :D

Last edited by a moderator:
amchan said:
it is sad to hear she said:"To go back to something structured, strong and womanly, to strip back the ""stupid"" frills, print and decoration", while her current summer collection is full of frills, print and decoration...is the word "stupid" too strong?

so true amchan...
i think she's basically influenced by the current 'tight' economic situation and like everyone else -at the moment- she's looking drawn to 'safer' looks and easy commercial success..
it is very understandable due to the current stagnation of the industry, but a bit boring -and dangerous- in my opinion:ninja:

having just read the style.com review of the show, im left wondering: is this supposed to be minimalism for the new boho?? not one of her best, IMO...

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't excite me thoroughly, but it's a nice collection with some gorgeous pieces, some of the detail is fantastic.

I just feel that it lacks character in compare to her last few collections - saying that though her last few have been kitchy, but I enjoyed them more, just my two cents.

I really like this though.

00400f.jpg

metal-on-metal said:
I agree. It just goes to show that good design in the 21st century is not about silly gimmicks or 'irony' or overblown ideas and egos. It's about the rendering of a simplistic style and attitude that has at its center an honest desire to make men and women look and feel their best.

Well said!

I like this collection.

I can`t believe it! I just deceided "to dislike Prada forever" and now she comes up with something GREAT! :flower:

I can totally relate to the clothes!

I`m so glad this "bulgarian farmer girl look" is over!

Lena said:
obviously.. i agree with acid, looks like this last coat posted could do with some more skilled sewing ...
what exactly is so wrong with the coat that it needs to be sewn better??

i think that the clothes look a lot better off the catwalk, in the backstage photos, than on:

00300f.jpg
00290f.jpg

00520f.jpg
00310f.jpg

this is an amazing collection, and such a strong statement...personally, i adore it... i just think it'll take some time for the majority of you to appreciate it.

Thanks for the pics brian! Wow they look even better in the backstage photos.

Yeah, they look better in the backstage photos. Now I am liking it.

brian said:
what exactly is so wrong with the coat that it needs to be sewn better??
I'm no expert, but it does look rather rough to me in that picture.

AlexN said:
I'm no expert, but it does look rather rough to me in that picture.
it looks fine to me... my only quip about it is that it could use a good steaming.

Utopia I agree the make up is quiet depressing.
I've looked at the pictures posted here and the ones on style.com ..and I'm not really feeling it..I think this is a collection I'll have to visit a prada boutique to really make up my mind about.

i think there are some good pieces in the collection and I especially like the use of grommets and frog buttons...definitely workable into a wardrobe yet has a distinctive look and that's what's most important to me!

The video is up at style.com. I really liked the explanation behind the hair, it kind of clicked the whole collection in place for me, actually. To think about it from the point of view of an actress in rehersal...i mean it's obviously farfetched but it also softens the Prada-minimalism point of view. It seems the clothes and certainly the show was designed behind a woman who needs the simplicity in order to become someone else, in order to fulfill someone else's vision, a director's vision, perhaps. You can stretch that idea--these are clothes for a woman with more than a little something on her mind. She's got a purpose, a passion, some secrets that she can't reveal just yet. This may all sound like rubbish to the rest of you and rightly so, perhaps. The commentary just made the collection seem that much sexier to me. I would love to be caught in the Prada woman's wake on her way to whatever it is she's really up to. It's Prada film noir. Brava, Miuccia...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->