Prada F/W 10.11 Milan

It wasn`t all ugly, as it usually is. I like pretty much all the coats. But the make up, again, it makes even the youngest girls look old and worn-out.

I thinks its nice , some of its reminds me of MJ's crazy spring 2008 collection. They are quite similar I find in some ways , the fabrics are wow.

looks totally inspired by the 50s mod fashion
I think the collection is nice in overall BUT the prints and colours look plain and boring... I suppose the main reason people adore this - accessories and a vintage feeling
and I have the feeling that the new major eyeglasses trend is coming...

this is a nice collection overrall.
the glasses and the shoes are so pretty! also, those beaded coats and dresses...so gorgeous. i really like the shape of the dresses too. i'm glad that prada went retro this season!

The collection overall was good, i wouldn't say fantastic or amazing though. I loved the quirky socks and pointy shoes though...and the color coordination between the socks/tights, shoes, and clothes. What Mr-Dale said about the new focus on the bust, is rather interesting and true. I did notice that...and i do think it's not a bad idea. Enhanced shoulders are just blegh to me, so moving the focus on to the chest area, like the cute ruffles was nice.

Yes, it's like those glasses that Mike has posted for us above - they are Mary Whitehouse meets Bono? (and elsewhere we might think Jackie O through the prism of Kurt Cobain perhaps).

Two totally different personalities, two diametrically opposed world views, but in colliding them in a Dr Frankenstein hybrid, but a strangely beautiful hybrid, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

The mashed up iconography of personalities who in their own right have an unsettingly powerful character but when fused in an unholy alliance the synthesis has an unnerving and alluring mad power.

I'm not what you would call a harcore Prada fan, so the brand name alone won't make to like it. I thought this collection was kinda boring and dowdy. I can't see a single piece that I would really like to wear.

MILAN, February 25, 2010

By Sarah Mower

To take a lead now in the headlong rush and cacophony of multi-platform fashion-news generation, it takes a clear mind to figure out what women want, and what we're lacking. And, far more radically, to address aspects of the system that have been (to say the least) annoying the hell out of many. Miuccia Prada did that today with a calm shrug.

"It's normal clothes," she said backstage before her show. "Classics. Revising the things I did in the nineties." Behind her, models, hair done up in sixties beehives, were changing. Among them were Doutzen Kroes, Catherine McNeil, Lara Stone, and Miranda Kerr, young women whose relatively curvaceous beauty has generally exempted them from being cast as exemplars of female gorgeousness on runways such as Prada 's for the past few years.

The clothes themselves were a deliberate, and quietly humorous, compliment to the womanly. If it's the possession of breasts that's been bothering model-casting agents for the past few years, this collection was a nightmare scenario for them. The ample bust was the unavoidable focal point of the silhouette, picked out in balconies of lace ruffles and upstanding pointy-bra formations on raised-waist, wide-skirted dresses and coats. Any girl on the runway who didn't have the natural Bardot-esque equipment was bestowed with it by means of frothy fabric placements, but the eye naturally migrated to the ones who did. The others, young and pretty as they are, marched on in the usual kind of anonymity. In fashion, appreciating the exceptional is always more interesting.

Model politics apart, this was not a one-issue shape-lib show. For aficionados, the collection was, as the designer promised, a thorough revisiting of Prada's strengths. She worked the house double-face cashmere into flattering dance-skirted fifties-sixties dresses and skirts, detailed jackets and coats with double-layered collars of cable knit and fur, cut A-line skirts in patent leather, and reprised her signature scratchy-grid prints. Then she broke into an extended riff on Prada knitwear, made into tweedy peacoat-ed suits and chunky belted sweaters. By the time she sent out black coats, smothered with jet embroidery, the entire repertoire of brand Prada—down to the pointy pumps and kooky tweedy socks—had been refreshed and reconsolidated.

It was nice to see that Prada envisages this being worn by women other than the zombie army of teen models that has roamed her runway recently—and that has influenced others to mimic that uniform aesthetic. Customers, she can be assured, will like that shift—but will it have a bigger ripple effect than that? Miuccia Prada is a fashion-industry influencer. Let's see who scrambles to follow the leader.

style.com

Prada: Old Dears

By CATHY HORYN

Miuccia Prada’s fall collection tonight dealt with women oblivious of fads, brands, red carpets and warnings about taking the extra helping. The figure she imagined was voluptuous, her bust delineated with darts and dimply ruffles, her waist where it naturally belongs and her hips somewhere under pleats.

At times, in a burgundy sweater-and-skirt set or a sleeveless print top and matching slacks, she brought to mind Kim Novak; at others, Madame Tito. The world of women is vast, Ms. Prada seemed to be saying, and not everyone is a teenage runway zombie.

Ms. Prada loves to examine our sentimentality about women and beauty, and in some respects this was her most assertive anti-fashion statement in awhile. Something about these clothes — the matronly dresses, the classic cable-knits — felt so outside current fashion and obsessions as to be but a distant squeal from a 60s fondue party. True, some of the outfits almost dared you to call them ugly. But the methods of examination have begun to feel dated.

runway.blogs.nytimes.com

It was a pretty hit & miss collection after all
Some things were really interesting,like the ruffled dresses and the shaped one,among all the accessories(minus the ridicolously ugly glasses,which could work on the runway but not in real life)
It's too grandma-like overall,I really don't know how many things will become "it" pieces(apart from all the people who will buy this collection just because it's Prada)

The casting was also another great wise marketing plan in my opinion,since too many people was complaining about the fact that Prada casting has been quite weird in the last season,we will talk about VS models get casted for Prada for weeks now!

I think this collection. Fashion critics may abhor. But for a Prada customer, it may seems wearable for her. Some of the fittings look size 40 in general, eg, Doutzen, that dress is obviously a size 42 for her.
It's good to target at your customers, rather than create the 'IT' pieces for editorials which can't really sell more than 10 pieces. It's not really a bad way to do that, It's just practical. A lot of times, customer requested dresses from the runway collection, but are disappointed that they either cut smaller, or simply look nice on skinny women. At least for these collection, I feel sales would be better for Prada since not all customers are in size 36/38. I like how Miuccia said its like normal clothes. Which it really does relate to people, thats why fashion critics find it boring. Prada and Miu Miu clothes look different when you see it on a person, and not a model. This is something Miuccia is good at.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this collection but most of it reminded me of Spring 2008 :wink:

i hate the matchy matchy thing on the runway
but the pieces individually are definitely wearable!
YAY for a wearable collection!

Its improved dramatically from when I first saw it on video. I maybe was a bit snappy that time since the livestream was beyond awful.. But now that I see the images in HQ, it appears like Miuccia may have well accomplished her goal. Revisiting her roots? Indeed. The clothes were classic, outlasts trends and were done very chic, very tastefully. I love even the hair and the knit accessory. And I think the cuts looked pristine too. An A++ if there ever was one for Prada for coming up with this awesome collection.

i always love the sculptural hair and makeup at prada <3

I like the shiny coats/jackets and the Prada wallpaper prints, but it's not one of her best collections. Silly Tim Blanks and the video on style.com had people raving about how revolutionary this is, but if it didn't have the Prada name, people wouldn't carry on so much.

Im really happy about this move, menswear was a preview but this sums it, great .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->