Prada S/S 2014 Milan

The problem with the constant "if this weren't Prada, none of you would like it" argument is just that - this IS Prada.

It's a completely useless talking point simply because this is Prada - I have no other way of judging this collection than to be thinking about it in terms of the Prada context that it exists within. And even if I was going to entertain the thought of judging this collection by another designer's standards - then sure - maybe I wouldn't like in the context of some nobody designer showing during Mercedez Benz Fashion Week. Two musicians can sing the same song, and you can end up liking one version much more than the other.

Ultimately, the whole "if this were another designer no one would like this" argument is just very lazy.

^It's not lazy, that sentence is true. It happens in every creative field. It's unfair, but life in general is unfair and people have to deal with that. Miuccia certainly has managed to create hype around her brand and build a particular world, but that doesn't mean everything she does is great.

The quality of a collection is not something subjective. You can like or not, but that doesn't mean this is good, new, original or whatever, which is not. Sometimes I feel 'attracted' to bad collections, but that doesn't make them good. It's easy to differentiate when something is good, bad, new, demodé, original, lazy or whatever. This is lazy and quite boring in every level, not matter the amount of trinket and colors involved...

The best Lang collection would be considered good if it were done by an unknown designer. If this were done by someone else... no one would care about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^That's exactly what I mean, though. You can like the collection or not. It's as simple as that. And that's what is ridiculous - is that those who do no like it always feel like they have to bring out the "if this weren't Prada..." to somehow make those who do like the collection feel as though their liking the collection is simply because they are blinded by PRADA.

I really like the detail-shots... The accessories look good and sellable.

every time i look at it, i love more looks. i love the embellishment and the colour choice so much

Beard-lady prints... gotta be a fashion first!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^That's exactly what I mean, though. You can like the collection or not. It's as simple as that. And that's what is ridiculous - is that those who do no like it always feel like they have to bring out the "if this weren't Prada..." to somehow make those who do like the collection feel as though their liking the collection is simply because they are blinded by PRADA.

Your argument that Prada is being compared to other labels is not true. When people say "if this weren't Prada" they are comparing the others to Prada; not the other way around. That is the difference. Prada is the standard bearer in that type of argument by which others are measured against - which automatically puts Prada at the pinnacle of design/ingenuity/creativity/leadership;etc. It is in fact is more of a compliment than anything - and it certainly is not lazy.

The simple fact is, and going back to your original beef upon the subject, Prada gets the fashion wild card whereas most other labels who try to be like this gets lampooned for trying too hard. Who gets to produce these types of shows and actually have their works in editorials and such? McQueen, Galliano, Prada and only a small handful of other shows that can throw an unconventional display of fashion and not have flack from the so-called fashion elite. So people who dislike the collection aren't using others who happen to like the collection as their collective scapegoat, which is what you seem to be implying. It is however a part of the overall analysis.

every time i look at it, i love more looks. i love the embellishment and the colour choice so much

I think that's how Prada 'works'. It's always growing on you, even if you hated it like hell at first.

Of course there are beautiful pieces, mostly the colorful intarsia fur coats, and the more simple dresses with swooshes of heavy crystals. The faces I don't like at all. The heavy bras over coats and such are just ridiculous, of course it's a matter of styling but the look is not good. It's not even a question of wearability for me. It's the chic I'm missing and some degree of effortlessness. I'm all for creating a spectacle that's all about pure fashion and out there ideas and I adore Prada, but it's a fine line between "wow that's a bold woman wearing fabulous fashion and looking sophisticated and chic" and "wow that's some attention wh*re who's looking ridiculous", a fine line that Prada is able to walk most of the time, so my expectations are higher. The bags are beyond. the socks and shoes not so much.

perhaps we will see @ Miu Miu soon : :wink:

12729_0.jpg

party-kollektion.de

I'll echo a lot of you with: the accessories are great but the clothes are not. The main problem being that they don't look new or fresh; just rehashing her collections past. :rolleyes:

This is one interesting collection. Yes I agree it does sort of rehash elements of past Prada collections but you know so what it's still Prada.

I really like the colour palette. Heaps of other collections have been all about the pastels so it's good to have other shades. I love the images and don't mind the bra tops. Favourite outfit is look 23. I so want the coat.

The bags are gorgeous but I don't like the shoes. The socks are not my thing but are so Prada you know they are going to show up every few collections.

Can't wait to see this in store.

Prada, much like Dolce & Gabanna designs clothes for editorials and streetstyle mavens rather than for actual women.

Jean Paul Gaultier?

hahaha:P egads,when gaga becomes a reference point in context with originality,you know it's the beginning of the end right? :rolleyes:

i have to say i see a lot of reference points in this.....one that sticks out for me is alexandre herchovitch especially in terms of the kitsch matching the actually silhouette. that's something he always did very well. i also see splashes of tsumori chisato....and maybe a little bernhard for that surreal factor.

honestly,to me it seems a very typical prada collection....no matter how heavy the kitsch-factor,it's still highly derivative as always.

I Love -
The accessories. The colorblocking. The sporty elements.
I love the brashness of putting a superembellished bra outside, it's like Miuccia's take on Male Superheroes wearing their little underwear on the outside and still deemed strong. I am woman hear me roar kind of.

I question.
Whether women would want to wear a jacket with a bra on the outside. If the bra is detachable, it could be worn on Tshirts, even some dresses, no probs, but not on a jacket.

Prada really is the only house that could get away with doing something like this. LOVE IT.

btw,that bra thing also kind of echoes something i saw kawakubo do some years back....remember her naughty lingerie-inspired a/w 2001 collection that featured bras on outerwear quite prominently throughout?

again,it just seems miuccia has to extract all her ideas from other peers. i have not seen an original idea from her since the new century began. why people continue falling for it is beyond me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->