The X-Factor 2010 ... Do not post Photos from this show ... see post #1.

I like Matt... he might not be able to produce a slick performance, but there's an intimacy in his voice that makes me feel more connected to his emotions and personality.

But the show was so long, by the time someone was singing Mad World, my mind had wandered away.

There were some ridiculous acts got through to this stage at the judges 'houses'........that bloke who looked like a cross between Roberto Cavalli/Bill Bailey and a troll was just laughable. Totally savaged 'You've Got The Love ', which is one of the all time greats. But funny all the same.:lol:

That's hilarious Northern Star.

But I love that someone else is talking about Wagner because I want to too. I totally agree he was cringeworthingly poor at Judges house but what a fabulous job they did with the art direction on the whole of his performance tonight. Good song choices and well delivered but the set was perfect. All that high kitsch abstract neon palm tree, the whole thing feeling like a deliciously mad, camp late 70's/early 80's cheesy nitespot. It was perfect for him. But more than that if you read what myself and others who proper get the SS11 Louis Vuitton show are saying there, this is exactly the same 'so bad it's good', high-cheese, post-modernist territory. I tell you Wagner is already a cult figure and, this being a fashion site I expect people here to get it. Spread the word.

If anyone from XFactor is watching - fantastic job and next week can we have more of the same with some louche curtains, stuffed tigers and girlies channeling the Louis Vuitton show looks.

One Direction are the obvious favourites. The boys can, most of them, carry a tune and there's going to be this whole teen dialogue about which one is the most fanciable. They'll carry a lot of tabloid column inches and visuals across the lowbrow mags. They will win.

Unless Aiden Grimshaw does. Again a teen idol factor. And an excellent voice. I tell you his rendition of Mad World tonight including set and wardrobe was the coolest thing I've ever seen on XFactor. Which of course isn't saying much in a sea of unreconstructed cheese over the years but nevertheless.

This is the strongest year ever. Such strength in depth.

Cher has some star quality and already a strong voice which I expect to see grow. Those who criticise Cheryl are wrong to do so and will have to admit that sooner or later. Ok Gamu should have gone through on the face of it but I reckon the management had already twigged the visa problems. This girl has that vulnerability factor which I think is likeable to female viewers. We know the truth about the feminine fragile behind all that front don't we girls :smile:. She's likeable, edgy, contemporarily relevant and Cheryl is the perfect mentor for her. Get ready for your heart strings to be tugged.

Mary had the biggest emotional connect of all with the
studio audience it seemed tonight. I thought of Shirley Bassey. The SuBo parralels are obvious. What a voice and again a likeable character and excellent backstory.

That's my idea of the top 5. If the Wagner cult can grow some legs. For me there's actually an important point here about the promotion of the over 50's as media stars. It's alternative. It's edgy. It says why can't older people have visibility. It's deconstructive about received truths about beauty and sexual appeal. Go on take me on on this. I go all the way down on it.

But there is fantastic strength in depth this year. Paige and Treyc have two of the finest voices in the competition but have image problems which presently mean a certain disconnect and they currently lack a bit of XFactor generally. I was so pleased to see Paige wildcard. His voice has the quality of Luther Vandross.

Katie has that marmite factor. I hated her own styling - that terrible, gone, 40's/80's thing. I'm not wholly sure it was wise for Cheryl's team to sort of position her close to LadyGaga territory but I think it slipped under the radar. She's a dark horse.

As are FYD Who? The 'other' boyband? They've at least one looker too and if they can stay in early can become growers.

Nicolo was poor this week. Bad song choice. Wrong to stick shades on him. But the boy has something.

Totally over-rated are Matt and Rebecca. Both had the weaknesses in their voices exposed this week. And neither have XFactor. Both are far too short in the market.

If I'm advancing the case for high camp what about Diva Fever. Well, no, entertaining boys but I'm afraid it's all just too unreconstructed cruise-ship/ Eurovision. In contrast to Wagner art direction and wardrobe were just awful this week. It was low camp, nothing post-modernist about it at all.

What Louis did with Storm was just embarrasing. Oh Louis.

Belle Amie are just awful. Meek, empty, not sexy, not even memorable voices.

Poor John A Good voice but just so far under the radar.

Those last two are the ones I expect to go tomorrow. Please not Wagner. He's too kitschy cool for that. He's channelling the Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton vibe. The cult of Wagner. Watch it rip. Join the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite enjoyed the show tbh, was a little bit pissed towards the end, so my judgement might be clouded on the last few acts.:blush:
Anyhow best of the night was surprisingly Mary.....I just didn't expect to like her so much.
Also Tentacl Ventricl I totally understand your viewpoint about Wagner and even though he is camp, kitschy, OTT and slightly ridiculous, the X Factor this year without him would be quite strange. There does need to an act involved who divides public opinion.
Matt and Rebecca were great IMO. Katie was awful, everything about the styling/performance was just 'trying too hard'.
Easily the best singer on the show is Treyc.....but she doesn't stand a hope in hells chance of winning.
Aiden was great too, but Adam Lambert did that so much better on American Idol, so I can't help but compare.
I think Diva Fever should go, the bloke who sang actually wasn't that bad, but the other one did bugger all and they are crap so.........bye bye.

The bottom three this week are an absolute joke. And the fact Nicolo has gone is even more of a joke when Wagner/Diva Fever and FYD are still around!

Pfft.

There's a 'love to hate you' vibe about Katie, but I didn't think she'd be this close to going so early in the show's run.

After not liking anything about Katie's performance last night, when she sang for survival tonight I liked everything about her performance. No gimmicks, just her singing every word like she meant it and she has a nice vulnerable quality to her voice. They really need to decide what kind of artist she is.
F.Y.D. didn't really stand a chance against her, she was just too good. Of course they shouldn't be leaving anyway but that's the public vote, so......

I think Katie is kewl... I don't know why people hate her... maybe she does not have a story... 'I live in a council flat... and eat fish and cheeps... and smoke and swear'... i think she is very original... and opposite to Lady Gaga to whom she is compared a lot... she does not steal whole images but recreates them which I appreciate... and she has this sweet Cindy Lauper voice...

I mean I don't care about X Factor anymore but this bottom two was really unfair... Wagner... Shmagner...

I was rooting for Katie to go. But I thought her survival performance was good. Better than FYD's, certainly. There was something about them, that just didn't work.
No doubt Nicolo had a huge bruise to his ego tonight. He looked pretty stunned, even though it's understandable.

Understandable indeed, I suppose there's no point standing up and singing with the mindset that you might lose, with your parting speech already rehearsed, so when the moment comes, you'll have something to say. If you thought about failure, you'd probably never be able to perform in the first place.

I liked his reaction personally, it was honest. So many times they're all like 'it was an honour to be here' and such when you know they are really thinking exactly what Nicolo said. 'I feel like crap.'

Also enjoyed how on the Xtra Factor he again was asked how he felt about it and said 'pissed'. It's a shame. I do think he's someone who could have become very interesting over time.

Oh, I am so addcited to this show!
My favorites are: Cher, Aiden, Paije, Matt and Rebecca.

^ My faves are exactly the same! Cher's style is so completely different from what I usually like, but I think she has good stage presence and that makes her entertaining to watch. I also really like One Direction. I think they're so adorable. And Tesco Mary! Her story is so sweet.

I'm loving this season so far. There's so much variety and some genuinely talented people, I think.

Songlist for this week beginning to filter through and so far reportedly -

Mary Byrne: Dusty Springfield’s ‘You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me’

One Direction: Kelly Clarkson’s ‘My Life Would Suck Without You’

Storm Lee: Purple Rain

Which all seem like fairly ok choices.

Updated list

And it's a very androgynous week with lots of girls doing boys and boys who do girls (songs). Interesting and challenging to stretch them. But a risk.

Simon's team

One Direction: Kelly Clarkson’s ‘My Life Would Suck Without You’ I expect the boys to rock it.

Belle Amie – The Kinks “You Really Got Me” What an atrocious choice. I really can't see this working. I'd like to see them go.

Diva Fever ?

Cheryl's team -

Treyc Cohen: Purple Rain Weird choice

Katie Waissel - I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) Slightly obscure perhaps although I think Beyonce has covered it and myself I like the Ruby Turner version from the 80's. It's a great choice and Katie will move the place with it. Upward momentum starts here.

Cher Lloyd – Hard Knock Life (Jay Z) - Another weird choice imho. Cut the rapping for her nuff already.

Rebecca Ferguson - ?

Louis's team -

John Adeleye - A Song For You (Donny Hathaway) A very obscure choice. Must be a favourite to go.

Wagner- Help Yourself (Tom Jones) I thought they'd do Tom Jones with him. Predictable but way to go and the cult of Wagner continues to grow.

Storm Lee- Born To Run (Bruce Springsteen) Yawn. Corn. Could go.

Mary Byrne: Dusty Springfield’s ‘You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me’ Mary is going to bring the house down with this.

Danni's team -

Paije Richardson – If I Ain’t Got You (Alicia Keys) More gender bending. I'd have preferred if you have to pick an Alicia Keys track go Empire State of Mind. Not saying get Paige rapping the Jay-Z part but at least there's a more male resonance to the track. The key of 'If I ain't got' is well outside Paije's most comfortable zone but nevertheless I'd think he'd handle it having one of the best technical voice's of all the contestants this cycle.

Aiden Grimshaw - ?

Matt Cardle - ?

Performances I'm most looking forward to on current info = Mary, Katie and -of course - Wagner.

For some reason, Treyc hasn't make much of an impression on me so far - until tonight, when she came out looking and sounding like a superstar-in-training.

I think it's because there are so many acts in this competition that I can't keep track of them all - and I'm also pretending to myself that I don't care, even though I'm watching it every week.

I love Rebecca!

At first I didn't pay much attention to her but I really liked her performance of Feeling Good. Now I've gone back to re-watch her audition, bootcamp and judges houses stuff and I do think she's really talented plus her shyness makes her very endearing as well as being from Liverpooool :blush:

I really hope she goes far and even if she doesn't win, i'm sure there will be a contract waiting for her (maybe it would be good if she didn't win because atleast she could find her own direction, instead of having to sing whatever cheesy 'x-mas' no.1 they give them).

^ It probably would be good for Rebecca if she didn't win......and I defintely agree with the last part of your post.....can you imagine her singing 'The Climb' :doh: or some other bollocks about soaring over mountains or whatever.
She has an amazing voice and her vulnerability is very likeable.

Treyc I still believe has the best voice on the show, and last night she looked great.....but I still doubt she can actually win it, but I hope she stays for a while.

Last night undoubtedly the best IMO and by a country mile was Katie Waissel, who after her survival performance and then this, has completely changed my mind about her. The song choice was inspired and either Katie herself or the stylists on the show have realised that she doesn't any stupid gimmicks and if she just stands there and sing.....everything works. I really hope she goes straight through tonight. Matt was also very good again.

It's good for the audience to be reminded that Katie's got a voice as big as her ambition, because if she's presented in a way that's too inauthentic, people feel that she's someone after fame at any cost.

It's not a crime to be ambitious, or to have attended stage school, or entered other competitions - I admire anyone who's tried hard to make things happen for themselves - but perception is a slippery thing, it doesn't take much to tip an entrant into being an unpopular person. And someone has to play the villain in the show, willingly or otherwise.

I loved when Katie got through and she yelled "I did it!!" I think when it comes down to it, she just want to be liked, and it really did effect her to not be.

Very glad Storm's gone. Really hoping judges vote to save Belle Amie over Diva Fever, but I just don't think they're going to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->