UK Vogue May 2021 : Thandiwe Newton by Mikael Jansson

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by marsnoop2, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

British Vogue might want to update their IG post because she changed her handle, and minutes later posted the covers. Not a single standalone post on her IG explaining the motivation behind her name change or touching on any of the allegations, her followers or anyone interested would have to buy the latest issue of Vogue or visit their commerce-filled website where every click is converted into pounds to find out. It just makes the entire spectacle look so tone-deaf.
    I don't have a problem with the actual story or her need to share it, in fact, I think her story so important that it deserved a more fitting platform for mainstream awareness. The people who should be seeing her story probably won't. Because they don't have access to Vogue.

aracic likes this.
  2. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

It´s her name and she can do whatever she wants with it but I find it funny that Melanie is also her name, a "white" sounding name but she chose Thandie which sounds different/"foreign"/cool but not Thandiwe because that´s too african :lol: f*ing HW...

WAVES likes this.
  3. danawokarrr

danawokarrr Member

Is she really that big in the UK?

Also in her interview she says her first credit was wrongly spelled Thandie, but couldn't she just go by the correct name after that if she really wanted? Seems like there may be more to it than that, especially since she's positioning it as "reclaiming" her name.

Love the second cover.

4. aracic

aracic Moderator

What a gorgeous newsstand cover! I was so happy to see her because I loved her on Westworld and she's a beautiful woman but scrolling further down only led to disappointment. What a waste, everything in that preview looks so tacky and ugly and I can't believe they chose to go in that direction. Choices.

And I can't believe a simple letter in her name caused such a long discussion. So she decided to be Thandiwe now, who cares? It's her decision, simple as that. It doesn't offend anyone and it probably makes her feel better about herself so who are we to question her decision and motives behind it? It's great seeing her do this for herself.

JPineapple, Ken Doll Jenner and mikel like this.
  5. oaklee91

oaklee91 Active Member

Could’ve sworn I thought it was by Meisel. Love the purple color!

Benn98 likes this.
  6. Joromana

Joromana Active Member

Not sure where you got ‘forced’ out of this discussion but go off.

FWIW, a lot of cultures, including my own, do not use their first name but their middle name.

Urban Stylin and [Piece Of Me] like this.
  7. WAVES

WAVES Well-Known Member

hence why I said it’s a bit of a reach to say that it’s hypocritical, you must’ve missed that part.
    she can go by being called Thumbelina, for all I care.
    the issue is not her name.

but, and I will say it again: that it feels like jumping on the bandwagon, it does. it’s my opinion.

arabchic likes this.
  8. Joromana

Joromana Active Member

WHAT bandwagon?

9. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

lol at the ‘ugh so why didn’t she just keep Melanie?’.. it’s called middle ground, same as say, Natasha Poly and all these girls with eastern european last names that seem to last for a whole minute.. you don’t want your name to be everyone’s nightmare, sound remote and maybe deter success but I’m sure no one aspires to something effin pedestrian like ‘Ashley Poly’ or Maddison or Hanna or Hailey lol.. or yeah, ‘Melanie Newton’.

Her name was cute and catchy enough but yeah, it immediately sounds and looks African with the W.. and in a place like Hollywood where everyone’s trying to water themselves down to somewhere between ‘relatable’ but also ‘somewhat special’.. Thandie it was. Now she wants it back, Hollywood’s become slightly more tolerant and names, just like race (at least in the US) are a whole topic so.. boo hoo.:meow:

Armani, WAVES, mikel and 1 other person like this.
  10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'm glad Natasha shortened her surname, it looks very difficult to pronounce. I still can't pronounce Edita's, and I go really slow when I try to pronounce Sasha's. Thankfully it's not a necessary life skill that I'd need everyday, so it is what it is.

I can see why a Hollywood agent thinks 'Thandie' is cute, there is an infantilising quality to it (or maybe I'm thinking of Dutch?). As others have pointed out 'Thandie' is a common African name to begin with. Anyway, keen on the review.

11. Summer Day

Summer Day Active Member

The fact that fonts are going on about a name and detracting from the cover itself just proves why the forums and messge boards have become a cesspool of utter complaints and nags. Its a name, more importantly her name. Who really cares what the fashion spot or some Twitter users think. As someone who has gone through life with a name that is mispronounced or told to simply go by Jason or Jay to make things easier for the person pronouncing it, I applaud Thandiwe. Who cares if she chooses to go by her true name today, 10 years from now, or 20. Bottom line. It's HER choice. Not yours, mine, or anyone else. Some of you all just breathe to complain and b*tch about anything. Get a life.

Fiona3, miwa, Urban Stylin and 8 others like this.
  12. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

There’s actually very few African-sounding names in Hollywood that I can think of: Lupita Nyong’o (the surname I believe is quite common in East Africa. CMIIW), Danai Gurira (Gurira is frequently used in Zimbabwe), and Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Mbatha is very common among Nguni people who predominantly live in South Africa. Again, CMIIW). And among the 3, only Lupita can be considered a household name which makes it hardly a fad or bandwagon.

Anyway, on to the cover. The second one is all sorts of wrong but I’m in love with the first one. I love how the shades of purple bring out this calm yet noirish, seductive vibe. The whole color scheme just looks very inviting. Wish the hand area wasn’t cropped that much though,

WAVES and Benn98 like this.
  13. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

Life as a native English speaker lol.. even a common German last name like Müller sounds like a linguistic effort for you guys! but yeah, some things are cute and ‘Sergeevna Polevshchikova’ is not one of them..:lol:.. now if she wanted to use it and push her fanbase to be better and get those vocal muscles to work, more power to her!

(also can’t pronounce Edita’s last name but who cares when you’re that stunning, you can be just ‘Edita’, everyone will remember you :zorro:..)

Love the red cover, forgot to add, there’s something so eternally filthy and forbidden about red lighting LOL.

thiago:), slayage and Benn98 like this.
  14. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

I would love to know too!

15. testinofan

testinofan ███████████████

the cover like shooting by Vincent Peters

16. cestmagique

cestmagique you set the scene

17. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Love the cropped cover, the red one was totally unnecessary. I also love the editorial, it does have that Malik Sidibe vibe which is now being overdone by the industry but is still fun to see. I don't understand why people are angry about her wanting to use her actual name calling it band wagon and all. Its her name and her life she doesn't need to explain to anyone why she wants to revert to her ACTUAL name.

JPineapple and [Piece Of Me] like this.
  18. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

And its her name

19. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Not sure what Waves exactly meant, but I am thinking of this social justice PR stunts the fashion and entertainment industries (and it goes beyond them) are selling, and more progressive crowds are blindly buying. ''Bread and circuses''...
    I firmly believe these industries and establishments are still genuinely racist and sexist, so no amount of stories, covers, and castings like this will make me change my mind.
    And also, people like Thandie are using this heated moment in our society for their own promotion, while also these industries are using them (these people) to wash their hands from decades and decades of mistreatment of women and minorities.
    One could say to me - so you want the things to be like before - socially unequal but genuine? I would say - NO, but I either won't applaud them in "efforts" like this.

BTW, don't tell me that behind this there's no savvy publicist who told the actress who wasn't in the stage light for quite some time, to ''reclaim'' her stolen African name, only after BLM happened? Why not in 2001, or 2011?

20. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Review - 238 Pages.

THE MANY LIVES OF THANDIWE NEWTON

Cover star: Thandiwe Newton
    Photographer: Mikael Jansson
    Stylist: Edward Enninful
    8 Photos

STEEZY DOES IT
    Models: Julia Nobis, Stephanie Wise & Briana King
    Photographer: Craig McDean
    Stylist: Dena Giannini