UK Vogue May 2021 : Thandiwe Newton by Mikael Jansson

British Vogue might want to update their IG post because she changed her handle, and minutes later posted the covers. Not a single standalone post on her IG explaining the motivation behind her name change or touching on any of the allegations, her followers or anyone interested would have to buy the latest issue of Vogue or visit their commerce-filled website where every click is converted into pounds to find out. It just makes the entire spectacle look so tone-deaf.
I don't have a problem with the actual story or her need to share it, in fact, I think her story so important that it deserved a more fitting platform for mainstream awareness. The people who should be seeing her story probably won't. Because they don't have access to Vogue.

It´s her name and she can do whatever she wants with it but I find it funny that Melanie is also her name, a "white" sounding name but she chose Thandie which sounds different/"foreign"/cool but not Thandiwe because that´s too african :lol: f*ing HW...

Is she really that big in the UK?

Also in her interview she says her first credit was wrongly spelled Thandie, but couldn't she just go by the correct name after that if she really wanted? Seems like there may be more to it than that, especially since she's positioning it as "reclaiming" her name.

Love the second cover.

What a gorgeous newsstand cover! I was so happy to see her because I loved her on Westworld and she's a beautiful woman but scrolling further down only led to disappointment. What a waste, everything in that preview looks so tacky and ugly and I can't believe they chose to go in that direction. Choices.

And I can't believe a simple letter in her name caused such a long discussion. So she decided to be Thandiwe now, who cares? It's her decision, simple as that. It doesn't offend anyone and it probably makes her feel better about herself so who are we to question her decision and motives behind it? It's great seeing her do this for herself.

Could’ve sworn I thought it was by Meisel. Love the purple color!

So she was forced to de-Africanize her name by changing Thandiwe to Thandie? Both of which have African origins. All the while she could've simply used her actual first name Melanie, if anyone was truly trying to make her sound "less African". Some of y'all sure do love to invent your narratives.

Not sure where you got ‘forced’ out of this discussion but go off.

FWIW, a lot of cultures, including my own, do not use their first name but their middle name.

Ok, and if Meryl announced she wanted to now go by Mary Louise, because that was her real name, would people be calling her a hypocrite or assuming her reasoning was anything beside wanting to be more... herself? I think not. Though that’s not a fair comparison because I think we all know the likelihood that a mixed-race child actor was told by those in power to de-Africanize their name in order to have a career is extremely high. I think we know there is a very good chance this wasn’t just a case of an actor choosing a stage name that differed from their birth name. And frankly, even if none of that happened and she simply preferred “Thandie” earlier on, what exactly is the problem with her embracing her heritage and her name?

hence why I said it’s a bit of a reach to say that it’s hypocritical, you must’ve missed that part.
she can go by being called Thumbelina, for all I care.
the issue is not her name.

but, and I will say it again: that it feels like jumping on the bandwagon, it does. it’s my opinion.

lol at the ‘ugh so why didn’t she just keep Melanie?’.. it’s called middle ground, same as say, Natasha Poly and all these girls with eastern european last names that seem to last for a whole minute.. you don’t want your name to be everyone’s nightmare, sound remote and maybe deter success but I’m sure no one aspires to something effin pedestrian like ‘Ashley Poly’ or Maddison or Hanna or Hailey lol.. or yeah, ‘Melanie Newton’.

Her name was cute and catchy enough but yeah, it immediately sounds and looks African with the W.. and in a place like Hollywood where everyone’s trying to water themselves down to somewhere between ‘relatable’ but also ‘somewhat special’.. Thandie it was. Now she wants it back, Hollywood’s become slightly more tolerant and names, just like race (at least in the US) are a whole topic so.. boo hoo.:meow:

lol at the ‘ugh so why didn’t she just keep Melanie?’.. it’s called middle ground, same as say, Natasha Poly and all these girls with eastern european last names that seem to last for a whole minute.. you don’t want your name to be everyone’s nightmare, sound remote and maybe deter success but I’m sure no one aspires to something effin pedestrian like ‘Ashley Poly’ or Maddison or Hanna or Hailey lol.. or yeah, ‘Melanie Newton’.

Her name was cute and catchy enough but yeah, it immediately sounds and looks African with the W.. and in a place like Hollywood where everyone’s trying to water themselves down to somewhere between ‘relatable’ but also ‘somewhat special’.. Thandie it was. Now she wants it back, Hollywood’s become slightly more tolerant and names, just like race (at least in the US) are a whole topic so.. boo hoo.:meow:

I'm glad Natasha shortened her surname, it looks very difficult to pronounce. I still can't pronounce Edita's, and I go really slow when I try to pronounce Sasha's. Thankfully it's not a necessary life skill that I'd need everyday, so it is what it is.

I can see why a Hollywood agent thinks 'Thandie' is cute, there is an infantilising quality to it (or maybe I'm thinking of Dutch?). As others have pointed out 'Thandie' is a common African name to begin with. Anyway, keen on the review.

The fact that fonts are going on about a name and detracting from the cover itself just proves why the forums and messge boards have become a cesspool of utter complaints and nags. Its a name, more importantly her name. Who really cares what the fashion spot or some Twitter users think. As someone who has gone through life with a name that is mispronounced or told to simply go by Jason or Jay to make things easier for the person pronouncing it, I applaud Thandiwe. Who cares if she chooses to go by her true name today, 10 years from now, or 20. Bottom line. It's HER choice. Not yours, mine, or anyone else. Some of you all just breathe to complain and b*tch about anything. Get a life.

There’s actually very few African-sounding names in Hollywood that I can think of: Lupita Nyong’o (the surname I believe is quite common in East Africa. CMIIW), Danai Gurira (Gurira is frequently used in Zimbabwe), and Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Mbatha is very common among Nguni people who predominantly live in South Africa. Again, CMIIW). And among the 3, only Lupita can be considered a household name which makes it hardly a fad or bandwagon.

Anyway, on to the cover. The second one is all sorts of wrong but I’m in love with the first one. I love how the shades of purple bring out this calm yet noirish, seductive vibe. The whole color scheme just looks very inviting. Wish the hand area wasn’t cropped that much though,

I'm glad Natasha shortened her surname, it looks very difficult to pronounce. I still can't pronounce Edita's, and I go really slow when I try to pronounce Sasha's. Thankfully it's not a necessary life skill that I'd need everyday, so it is what it is.
Life as a native English speaker lol.. even a common German last name like Müller sounds like a linguistic effort for you guys! but yeah, some things are cute and ‘Sergeevna Polevshchikova’ is not one of them..:lol:.. now if she wanted to use it and push her fanbase to be better and get those vocal muscles to work, more power to her!

(also can’t pronounce Edita’s last name but who cares when you’re that stunning, you can be just ‘Edita’, everyone will remember you :zorro:..)

Love the red cover, forgot to add, there’s something so eternally filthy and forbidden about red lighting LOL.

the cover like shooting by Vincent Peters

Love the cropped cover, the red one was totally unnecessary. I also love the editorial, it does have that Malik Sidibe vibe which is now being overdone by the industry but is still fun to see. I don't understand why people are angry about her wanting to use her actual name calling it band wagon and all. Its her name and her life she doesn't need to explain to anyone why she wants to revert to her ACTUAL name.

hence why I said it’s a bit of a reach to say that it’s hypocritical, you must’ve missed that part.
she can go by being called Thumbelina, for all I care.
the issue is not her name.

but, and I will say it again: that it feels like jumping on the bandwagon, it does. it’s my opinion.

And its her name

WHAT bandwagon?

Not sure what Waves exactly meant, but I am thinking of this social justice PR stunts the fashion and entertainment industries (and it goes beyond them) are selling, and more progressive crowds are blindly buying. ''Bread and circuses''...
I firmly believe these industries and establishments are still genuinely racist and sexist, so no amount of stories, covers, and castings like this will make me change my mind.
And also, people like Thandie are using this heated moment in our society for their own promotion, while also these industries are using them (these people) to wash their hands from decades and decades of mistreatment of women and minorities.
One could say to me - so you want the things to be like before - socially unequal but genuine? I would say - NO, but I either won't applaud them in "efforts" like this.

BTW, don't tell me that behind this there's no savvy publicist who told the actress who wasn't in the stage light for quite some time, to ''reclaim'' her stolen African name, only after BLM happened? Why not in 2001, or 2011?

Review - 238 Pages.

THE MANY LIVES OF THANDIWE NEWTON

Cover star: Thandiwe Newton
Photographer: Mikael Jansson
Stylist: Edward Enninful
8 Photos

STEEZY DOES IT
Models: Julia Nobis, Stephanie Wise & Briana King
Photographer: Craig McDean
Stylist: Dena Giannini
10 Photos

PLAY IT COOL