UK Vogue May 2021 : Thandiwe Newton by Mikael Jansson

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by marsnoop2, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

UK Vogue May 2021

Vogue Watches special

[​IMG]

'More Than A Pretty Face'

Photographer: Ben Weller
    Stylist: Poppy Kain
    Hair: Daniel Martin
    Makeup: Laura Dominique
    Cast: Jean Campbell

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

UK Vogue Digital Edition

2. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

'Mother of Industry' is stunning!

conspicuousconsumer likes this.
  3. THD96

THD96 Well-Known Member

Only Jansson, Hawkesworth, and Hamza eds are good the rest is just filler.

Thandiwe picture in a crystal during would be a stunning cover. Except for the B&W and the moon which are good, the one with the background with the fabric is just bad. Since when Jansson working with drapes background? All the budget for the shoot and you cannot at least iron it or choose better material. Julia out there gives us one expression in her ed. Hawkesworth ed is the best in the issue, I like the colors and the mood of the ed and the contrast between the styling and the paintings. I love Bethann's energy in her bed, she looks like she has fun.

Overall a decent issue, it's packed with content. I'll get this to support Thandiwe.

Razjel likes this.
  4. MON

MON Well-Known Member

What? The only editorial that's gorgeous is "The Exibitionist" The rest are fillers at best.

Play it Cool is something I'd expect from Vogue Paris.

The art direction is really weak and amateur.

Not sure if it's just me, the scan or do the editorials have this yellow-ish/gray-ish filter that tones it all down.

5. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Not a good issue. Was always going to be hard to follow April this year, but even with a lot of A-List contributors most of the issue is still a flop. I can't even really say much about Jamie and Benjamin's edit; Bruno's contributions to UK Vogue have been a let down, I only liked his first one.

Why waste all that money on the "sk8r grll" edit as well, when it's irredeemably bad? I don't have time for Poppy or Julia but Dena, truly the epitome of an irrelevant stylist...who even is this woman? Does she have connections because I've never seen her name attached to another stylist, e.g. Edward?

6. fakeawake

fakeawake Well-Known Member

the main spread w/ thandie is really good.

sk8r girl feels really out of date already... feels like this was cool in 2019, no ?

the watch advertisement is cute, the model is having fun. Exhibitionist was fabulous, really captures what people look to Vogue for.

vogue trends is also what people look to vogue for, perfectly wearable serviceable looks that people can also find dupes in their local non designer store. The bag spread is an excellent pick of the best current styles IMO.

mother of industry feels unfocused - the clothes are sometimes unflattering which is unacceptable for vogue magazine. the red gloves are off putting but the sequin pink dress is lovely. I just checked and the pink dress is stylists own, how embarassing for modern fashion. I didnt look at any of the other credits.

the rest arent important enough to discuss.

#86 fakeawake, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Razjel likes this.
  7. XavierRaphael

XavierRaphael Active Member

I couldn't agree more! She looks so beautiful, love the styling and the colours too.

Urban Stylin likes this.
  8. JPineapple

JPineapple Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm open to discuss the topic with you if you want (you can send me a private message). I see your points in your last post and as a white man, I understand where they come from. As white people, we need to educate ourselves about race topics, and those discussions are extremely neccesaries to understand POC experiences.

dontbeadrag, Armani and XavierRaphael like this.
  9. Armani

Armani Tech Support

MOD NOTE: While conversations on the note of racism and racial prejudice in our present-day are integral towards sustaining a civilized community, we do not allow the derailment of thread topics, nor do we allow the direct targeting of forum members, and will continue to delete posts which do not abide by our Forum Rules.

10. VogueGirl8910

VogueGirl8910 Well-Known Member

Bland issue actually, only the "Mother of Industry" & the Hawkesworth editorials are a bunch of beautiful stories. I kinda disappointed with the cover story, i mean many backgrounds on every photo of Thandiwe & her pose looks so forced.