UK Vogue May 2021 : Thandiwe Newton by Mikael Jansson

I like the covers but the word Icon is used too liberally these days.

Whatever happened to Poppy Kain and Sarr-Jamois? They're on the masthead but hardly ever style.

Considering the last few McDean edits we've seen in this magazine, I can't say I hold much hope for 'Steezy Does It'. Add to that the fact that it's styled by Dena Giannini and stars Julia Nobis.

99fe5ac7cfd9f18ac52585b7ce878c9e.gif

Giphy

Whatever happened to Poppy Kain and Sarr-Jamois? They're on the masthead but hardly ever style.

Considering the last few McDean edits we've seen in this magazine, I can't say I hold much hope for 'Steezy Does It'. Add to that the fact that it's styled by Dena Giannini and stars Julia Nobis.

99fe5ac7cfd9f18ac52585b7ce878c9e.gif

Giphy
And they have a market director. I don’t understand what Julia and Poppy are doing there.

Dena is the worst ever.

Speaking generally, magazines have always been vehicles for people to promote whatever version of themselves they currently wish to sell to the world. During all the years that every one of us has been buying these publications, we have no doubt been congratulating ourselves on being able to see through every piece of PR spin and calculation that gets thrown our way.

But these days, we're suddenly expected to believe that a fashion magazine cover story is speaking from a place of deep, raw and authentic truth. And we aren't permitted to have a sceptical opinion about this, even though it's just commercial content on the front of a commercial catalogue of unnecessarily expensive commercial items that companies want consumers to buy without thinking too much about it.

Speaking about this cover story, Thandiwe is not an ingenue, she's almost fifty, she's lived a life. She's been working since she was a teenager, and now she has decades of experience in the industry that she's been a part of. At each stage, she's given interviews where you can see the changes in her views as she moves forward in life, reassessing the events that have happened. For her to now wish to use the full version of the name she's been using, it seems like another natural progression for her. And it also suits both her and Edward to glean some publicity from this if they can.

I'm ancient, so I can remember the media coverage at the start of her career, where she was in a relationship with an older man, and this was made out to be a great form of guidance for a young girl in the industry, a protective older man making the decisions for her, shielding her from the worst. Nobody was making any fuss about how wrong this seemed - and Thandiwe would now give you the full details of just how wrong that relationship was.

Being sceptical about commercial media and why they're trying to sell the narratives they put forward is not the same as being a bad person. It's about being able to see different sides of the same coin, the benefits and the dangers, the shades of grey. If you lose that, you become prey to every marketer and politician and public figure who wants to pull on your emotions so that you don't notice what their long game is.

I read the interview before coming to this thread, so the extremely cynical back and forth about the name change is just bizarre to me. Wait a few hours til you actually get some information about it and then rant about it. :lol: So many conclusions being jumped to based on absolutely nothing.

Covers are supposed to sell the issue to you, and the people creating them know they only have a few seconds in which to make an impression.

If people jump to conclusions about a cover and what it might represent, it's not because they've failed to do their research, it's because covers are all about superficial reactions and how best those few seconds can be manipulated to get attention and cause debate.

In contrast, the accompanying articles are usually rather tame and wouldn't cause any ripples if presented in their entirety. But these days, most people who see a cover image on the internet aren't going to bother with any part of the magazine beyond that.

I read my magazines from start to finish, but that doesn't make me well-informed, it just makes me a hoarder surrounded by piles of printed material that don't ever seem to go down, causing my other half to wonder about the wisdom of ever moving into a bigger place.

thank you @tigerrouge always so insightful and again @Srdjan and @velvetandsilk for the ‘badwagongate’ explanation.

I’m a British citizen. my name is not originally English (Anglo-Saxon for the matter) and I couldn’t tell you how many times it’s been mispronounced. when it’s a phonetical issue I don’t really mind because the person in front of me has a different origin therefore a different accent. when it’s just plainly mispronounced I correct it. always. because it’s my name, it’s part of who I am and I own it. I don’t need to take it back every time it’s mispronounced because it has never left my identity. I also have a couple of nicknames that my besties and siblings have given me. they’re also mine.

I have read Thandiwe interview and Twitters about it.
and I stay corrected.
but, like I said, it was never about the name change.

I don’t understand people at the pinnacle of society complaining about the minutiae :wink:

Speaking generally, magazines have always been vehicles for people to promote whatever version of themselves they currently wish to sell to the world. During all the years that every one of us has been buying these publications, we have no doubt been congratulating ourselves on being able to see through every piece of PR spin and calculation that gets thrown our way.

But these days, we're suddenly expected to believe that a fashion magazine cover story is speaking from a place of deep, raw and authentic truth. And we aren't permitted to have a sceptical opinion about this, even though it's just commercial content on the front of a commercial catalogue of unnecessarily expensive commercial items that companies want consumers to buy without thinking too much about it.

Speaking about this cover story, Thandiwe is not an ingenue, she's almost fifty, she's lived a life. She's been working since she was a teenager, and now she has decades of experience in the industry that she's been a part of. At each stage, she's given interviews where you can see the changes in her views as she moves forward in life, reassessing the events that have happened. For her to now wish to use the full version of the name she's been using, it seems like another natural progression for her. And it also suits both her and Edward to glean some publicity from this if they can.

I'm ancient, so I can remember the media coverage at the start of her career, where she was in a relationship with an older man, and this was made out to be a great form of guidance for a young girl in the industry, a protective older man making the decisions for her, shielding her from the worst. Nobody was making any fuss about how wrong this seemed - and Thandiwe would now give you the full details of just how wrong that relationship was.

Being sceptical about commercial media and why they're trying to sell the narratives they put forward is not the same as being a bad person. It's about being able to see different sides of the same coin, the benefits and the dangers, the shades of grey. If you lose that, you become prey to every marketer and politician and public figure who wants to pull on your emotions so that you don't notice what their long game is.
Thank you! without being sceptical we wouldn't have this conversation in the first place. It's being able to see the bigger picture.

Of course they've sent the horrible red cover to subscribers. I honestly hate subscriber covers so much, you get these "creative" covers forced on you with no choice and they're usually terrible - the first cover is so beautiful and now I'm gonna have to buy it in the shop. I might unsubscribe... I know this isn't an actual problem worth caring about, but it does annoy me.

UK Vogue May 2021

The Many Lives of Thandiwe Newton

Photographer: Mikael Jansson
Stylist: Edward Enninful
Hair: Eugene Souleiman
Makeup: Ammy Drammeh
Cast: Thandiwe Newton

UK Vogue Digital Edition

UK Vogue May 2021

Steezy Does It

Photographer: Craig McDean
Stylist: Dena Giannini