US Harper's Bazaar July 2009 : Angelina Jolie / Doutzen Kroes by Terry Richardson

I like that pic of Jolie. She is on the cover because celebs sell mags, not models. That cover of Doutzen is awful. She looks like a generic blonde Ford model circa 1985.

So you say that you actually prefer that a magazine with a high standard as US Bazaar uses a paparazzi candid of a celeb for the cover instead of an original shot of a model?

I agree that celebs sell more than models but is it in this case worth it when you're comprimisng your creative integrity as a high fashion magazine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awful cover.
Definitely an issue I will not be purchasing.

Someone explain to me how this wasn't the cover. Just. Explain it to me. I am in a state of shock and my mind is boggling right now. The subscribers cover is stunning. Stunning. Even if you don't like Doutzen you have to admit this is a clean, simple and effective cover.
i agree with you, i don't like Doutzen but WOW!

:lol: thanks for the review Luxx! so... doutzen is on the subscribers cover? :shock:

the angelina thing is scandalous -_-

Dotuzen looks flawless on the sub cover, such a shame HB wasn't confident enough to use it for the newsstands

Photographed by Alexi Lubomirsky for the July 2009 issue of Harper's Bazaar, Milla Jovovich plays the family breadwinner, while Sex in the City's Chris Noth (Mr. Big) lends a supporting hand at home with the kids.

source: imgmodelsweb blog

Liz Tilberis is rolling over in her grave right now.

I am with Mikel, this is NOT simply about who sells more. If we go by the conventional logic that a star sells more then we have to address the fact that Bazaar could have easily gotten a star like Jolie to sit for them and be photographed by Lindbergh, Kadel, Akrans or any of the other photographers who they frequently use. Instead they took a red carpet picture, the kind you can get on Wireimage or Getty and they shoved it on the cover. This is no better than a US Weekly or InTouch cover as far as I'm concerned. This is lowest common denominator and its the kind of thing that makes the people who actually love fashion cringe. If you just love celebrity culture and are pleased as punch every time you see something on your favorite star then fine, so be it but if you love fashion you want some of the beauty and creativity that fashion can provide. You don't want unimaginative, mundane and quite frankly passe tripe like this being passed off as having anything to do with fashion. If they wanted to sell magazines why didn't they devote the issue to Jon and Kate Plus 8 with 8 collectors covers devoted to each child and a giant neon banner that read "SCANDAL OMG"

You shouldn't judge a magazine by its cover but when they put something like this front and center what else can we do? This is just lazy and they shouldn't try to pass it off as anything else other than laziness and desperation.

And a Naomi Wolf piece? What is this 1991? She's a talented writer but this just feels so done.

Someone explain to me how this wasn't the cover. Just. Explain it to me. I am in a state of shock and my mind is boggling right now. The subscribers cover is stunning. Stunning. Even if you don't like Doutzen you have to admit this is a clean, simple and effective cover.

You're so right!!! and about ur last post too...how could this happen....A paparazzi photo....:shock:.....Doutzen cover it's gorgeous...and she totally worth it.

I love Milla's ed...she looks stuning^_^

I'm with everyone else, Doutzen's cover is stunning but the Angelina one looks like the cover of some tacky celebrity magazine :ninja:

I'm back from work so I can finally see both covers. Angelina's cover is a disgrace. She looks nice but that's not the point. They used a tabloid picture!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I agree with everything Luxx said above. A disgrace for everything US Bazaar was/is/will be.

Doutzen's cover is gorgeous. Too bad only subscribers will get it.

I like Milla's ed. Even a cover with her and Chirs Noth would have made more sense.

I get why Angelina is on the cover and being written about with a high level of fascination by a prominennt feminist writer. I'm surprised they didn't get Camille Paglia to write it, she has been raving about Jolie ever since she stole Brad. Comparing her to Liz Taylor and all these other iconic women in history.

But to me she is not an enigma, I think she and Brad are transparent enough, in fact I think Brad is shrouded in more secrecy than she is but that mostly has to do with his lack of intelligence. I think this is why he was able to get away with barely giving any interviews in the beginning of his career throughout the 90's. His reps controlled him the same way Tom Cruise was controlled. Angelina, I feel, is highly intelligent but I think there is some dark sh*t happening with her that is kept hidden by her perfectly crafted image. I would hardly say she has it all or is even together in any way that I would want to emulate.

I don't get it: isn't the newsstand cover subject supposed to be the same with the subscriber edition? What is up with Kroes?

That is a paparazzi shot. I bet they added the earring with Photoshop. I mean, W did this once or twice as a gimmick and once with Jolie's Cannes pic nonetheless, but this is sad really. Plus her lips look really weird and mushy somehow.

Milla looks more and more like Linda every day. I always thought they they looked liek sisters, but the resemblance is so uncanny, it is weird at this point.

Doutzen's cover looks like Mid 70s Paris Vogue. The texture of her hair, the daring photographer who's trying to get some weirdness into a regular magazine cover, and almost succeeding, here by showing just a hint too much of Doutzen's teeth than seems decent.

Is it motivation to get the Bazaar subscription? Is it a cry for help? Is it a statement of the Bazaar mind, where capital matters?

Questions, questions...:lol: Thank you Luxx for making sure we didn't have to live with that Star-looking HB cover for long :heart: I think this is the best HB cover since the Tiberlis years.

I won't even comment on the cover, all has been said already.

On the positive side, I am absolutely delighted with the idea of dual cover-girls and I hope the concept will expend to all the other mainstream fashion mags.
One celebrity cover for the newsstand to serve as bait and one model cover for the subscribed fashionistas who don't give a f*** about Hollywood. Genius!

PS: Is Naomi Wolf respected as an intellectual? Because her article on Angelina is the most patronising, preposterous and downright mediocre puff piece I have read in months.

I'm happy to get the Doutzen cover and look forward to her pictures by Terry and the Milla/Chris Noth editorial. ^_^

I'll gladly put my reputation on the line to say that Doutzen's cover is one of the best covers of an American magazine year in years. It's just unfortunate the majority will never get to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->