Valentino Haute Couture S/S 2010 Paris

The more I looked at it in detail, the more I love it, with the exception of a few pieces that seem seriously wrong to me. For once, i agree with all the reviews, some pieces I like are "cover-worthy" indeed! I still prefer their previous RTW collections, but this is by no means a *horrible* HC collection. It reminds me of Givenchy's teething period when Tisci sent out some really awful stuff with some really spectacular pieces. Valentino was getting boring, this truly injects new life into the venerated House. And when NG first debuted his version of Balenciaga, it was as far from any of the old master's work as this collection is from Valentino's.

No they wouldn't have. Balenciaga is a trendsetter, it doesn't follow trends; like how real couture houses should be. With Ghesquire at the helm, if Balenciaga presented one Haute Couture collection it is guaranteed that it would be ten times better than this.
This collection does follow trends, like some common pret-a-porter house desperate for sales, but they don't follow current trends; they follow stale trends like the whole Rodarte/Balmain wrap dress that was even produced at the new Ungaro for spring... Chiuri and Piccioli then throw in some shockingly badly fitting jackets and deck everything out in frills and flowers with no relevance whatsoever then hope everyone is too blinded by an "unusual" feather jacket to notice that their collection is worse than most ready-to-wear collections.
I'm insulted that you compared Nicolas Ghesquire, one of the great designers of 21st century fashion, with this spit in the face of Haute Couture and the House of Valentino.

Well, maybe people forgot than the era of the old designer is over. And as I (and other members) mentioned before - the last few collections Valentino himself created earned a lot of "omg how disappointing", "same old story/red dress :rolleyes:" and "he should go, he isn't doing anything new".
So, to be honest, I think the "high fashion trendsetter" era of Valentino has been over for quite a while, and with him being gone I think it's just normal that the new designers try to find a new red (or flesh coloured :P ) line. [and, if you read my post carefully, there is no mentioning of how beautiful it is, even though I like the material they used].

And if you feel insulted by a simple comparision and opinion you maybe should get a reality check. I did say nothing personally against you or anyone, I like some of NG's work a lot (and even if I did say something insulting about Balenciaga or Givenchy - only NG himself or his direct employees would have the right to feel hurt, not the fanboys or -girls of their work :ninja: ).
If you feel insulted that's definately your own decision and your own problem. It's on no basis with anything I said.

But I have to agree that it's not very nice to see that shoe thingy. :shock: Maybe they should stick to the boring old red dress, a ripoff from the own line might not harm as much as a ripoff from others :lol:

Giancarlo Giammetti and Valentino Garavani are no strangers to disparaging Valentino's successors, and after current Valentino designers Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli presented their Spring 2010 couture collection last month, Giammetti turned to Facebook.

Valentino's longtime business partner posted on his Facebook page that he was “just speechless,” continuing, “not sad…just surprised.…We have always supported the new designers and we love them, but this time we have to distance ourselves from this ridiculous circus.”

Giammetti eventually deleted the comments after the reaction he received, but told WWD yesterday that both he and Garavani “are always supportive of the designers of Valentino, even if we don’t approve of their effort to be cool at all costs.” The house of Valentino declined comment.
fashionologie.com

^ I just read that. HAHA.

“are always supportive of the designers of Valentino, even if we don’t approve of their effort to be cool at all costs.”

Oh really. So it wasn't them that didn't like Alessandra. I may have to change my profile comment :innocent:

Anyway I can't believe I didn't know that Valentino sold his whole company. I thought he still had at least a little bit. What a mistake.

Well, maybe people forgot than the era of the old designer is over. And as I (and other members) mentioned before - the last few collections Valentino himself created earned a lot of "omg how disappointing", "same old story/red dress :rolleyes:" and "he should go, he isn't doing anything new".
So, to be honest, I think the "high fashion trendsetter" era of Valentino has been over for quite a while, and with him being gone I think it's just normal that the new designers try to find a new red (or flesh coloured :P ) line. [and, if you read my post carefully, there is no mentioning of how beautiful it is, even though I like the material they used].

And if you feel insulted by a simple comparision and opinion you maybe should get a reality check. I did say nothing personally against you or anyone, I like some of NG's work a lot (and even if I did say something insulting about Balenciaga or Givenchy - only NG himself or his direct employees would have the right to feel hurt, not the fanboys or -girls of their work :ninja: ).
If you feel insulted that's definately your own decision and your own problem. It's on no basis with anything I said.

But I have to agree that it's not very nice to see that shoe thingy. :shock: Maybe they should stick to the boring old red dress, a ripoff from the own line might not harm as much as a ripoff from others :lol:

Well you both make good points but Crying Diamonds wins the round. Haute Couture is suppose to be about experimentation , not knocking off other designers work from just 2 seasons ago and christening it the way of the future lol . True designers set trends they dont follow them, especially if your in Paris.:innocent:

lmao :rofl:
I'm sure Valentino was somewhere having the equivalent of having a heart attack in the form of turning pale so that's why Giammetti had to speak on behalf of Valentino.

Oh God those two designers seriously pulled a number on Valentino and Giammetti. I bet they wished Facchinetti was still there!

Someone should tell Val and Giancarlo that just because Saint Laurent is dead and Berge no longer serves as his mouth piece doesn't mean they get to fill the roles that were left vacant.

Seriously, this is exactly what happened between Saint Laurent and Ford. It was a love affair up until the point that the successor dared to do what they wanted to do.

I knew they would hate this. I can literally see Valentino pacing through his castle, yelling "Cazzo!"
Get them gone, guys.!

i wonder if we're poised for a valentino comeback a la jil sander. i mean, he could have a titular role with someone -- :cough: olivier theyskens :cough: -- do all of the designing a la nathen jenden and diane von furstenburg.

LMAO this is what I have been waiting for a response from Valentino! We all knew that they would hate this. I only wished Valentino would have said something, like someone already said he most most likely having a heart attack lol

Valentino's longtime business partner posted on his Facebook page that he was “just speechless,” continuing, “not sad…just surprised.…We have always supported the new designers and we love them, but this time we have to distance ourselves from this ridiculous circus.”

this pretty much sums it up....

I am shocked at the amount of hatred and anger over this collection. It isn't great, but I don't think it's the worst collection ever like some people are making it out to be. It isn't Valentino, IA, but when Nicolas started at Balenciaga it wasn't Balenciaga and when Tom Ford started at YSL it was definitely not YSL. Ricardo Tisci's first collections at Givenchy were panned.

I am not saying these guys are on the level of those designers, but this is like their second couture collection and the first collection where they are trying something different. There are a lot of missteps and that is where I see the problem. They didn't do it well enough and people are all over them. But I don't think this is the death of the label. There are some great pieces and some terrible pieces. I think that by the time some of these event dresses make their way onto the red carpet, people will come around to them a bit. The other stuff? They can work on it.

^if this had been a ready-to-wear collection, i might find myself inclined to agree with you, but this is couture. if we had seen a couple of these self-same dresses on the ungaro runway (which is not that big of a stretch!), we would have no problem panning them. also, this isn't their first outing or second outing. they've have four or five collections -- given the couture, ready-to-wear, resort, and pre-fall offerings -- under their belt so we can't expect it to suddenly improve.

Fashion is always about NOW, not what they've done in the past or what they will do, but NOW....If Valentino does an AMAZING couture next season, then that will definitely make everyone forget about this collection. I don't necessarily hate this collection, but it doesn't have that Valentino signature appeal.

This is actually their 3rd haute couture collection. The first two collections, I actually liked...

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I thought his remark of "ridiculous circus" is directed at everyone freaking out over the collection.

"We support our designers so we want to separate ourselves from all the controversy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->