Vogue Paris August 2016 : Luna Bijl by David Sims

So far the cover looks away but I'm not a fan oh her pout and that massive earring.
And the choice to put this girl on the cover looks very random...

I really like it, but who is she and why is she on the cover of VP? I prefer her over the Kardashians, hadids anyway...

I think they tried to copy the "VI + Meisel + it newcomer" formula VI loves to use. VP is using David Sims instead, but the result accomplishes the goal: a minimalistic cover where the new girl reminds a vintage star. Just like Caitie's and Vittoria's covers, Luna was unknown to most people in the fashion crowd before this, so it feels more exclusive. Using a celebrity (specially one from the reality tv world) or any well known model everybody has hired before would have ruined the fresh - exclusivity feeling.

i'm not sold at all, it looks too literally a copy from a vintage magazine

I think they tried to copy the "VI + Meisel + it newcomer" formula VI loves to use. VP is using David Sims instead, but the result accomplishes the goal: a minimalistic cover where the new girl reminds a vintage star. Just like Caitie's and Vittoria's covers, Luna was unknown to most people in the fashion crowd before this, so it feels more exclusive. Using a celebrity (specially one from the reality tv world) or any well known model everybody has hired before would have ruined the fresh - exclusivity feeling.

Actually let's be fair to VP, they have been doing this for years and years, it's not some Meisel formula. And people have been complaining Raquel does not have a cover because of it also for years( well rightly so) They always do the same, well known models, a proper celebrity and then some random model very few people heard of to test the waters. It's easy to forget because this unknown faces always end up famous and getting a lot of work out of the prestige of being a VP cover girl, their beauty being generally much more "accessible" than the girls Meisel chooses.

I wonder why they haven't released this on their website?

Yeah she is, im so surprised but so happy for her. Girl is a dream in print.

I flipped through her thread after being impressed by this cover, and I actually find her incredibly weak in print (baby faced and quite commercial looking) so now I'm nervous to see this editorial...

Good for Vogue Paris for putting someone new on the cover. No idea who she is and I'm not much for 80s styling but I admit I'm intrigued. Looking forward to the editorial content!

And yes, let me add my voice by saying that there's a new excitement with the fashion magazines this month.

Good for Vogue Paris for putting someone new on the cover. No idea who she is and I'm not much for 80s styling but I admit I'm intrigued. Looking forward to the editorial content!

And yes, let me add my voice by saying that there's a new excitement with the fashion magazines this month.

We wanted glamour and they finally giving us that again.

I think she looks a little too young for this type of styling but it's good to see a fresh face and it's a good cover for VP.

Actually let's be fair to VP, they have been doing this for years and years, it's not some Meisel formula. And people have been complaining Raquel does not have a cover because of it also for years( well rightly so) They always do the same, well known models, a proper celebrity and then some random model very few people heard of to test the waters. It's easy to forget because this unknown faces always end up famous and getting a lot of work out of the prestige of being a VP cover girl, their beauty being generally much more "accessible" than the girls Meisel chooses.

I didn't want it to sound like I meant VI created this formula, sorry if it did :lol:... but bringing a new possible star to the big spotlight, it's definitely a method VI uses the most compared to any other Vogue... and you're right, people have been complaining about the use of random girls instead of established ones, but considering this year, they've already used recurrent names like Edie, Cindy, Gigi and Iselin... I consider a very pleasant surprise to see again on their pages the intent to bring to stardom a promising unknown gem like Luna. It's nothing revolutionary or vanguardist, but in their case it's definitely fresh considering their recent past decisions. The last newcomer girl they used was Mica for last November, and she was way more established than Luna at the moment; that's why this cover feels fresher, cause it's riskier, and looking at the reaction of the majority, the risk was worth it.

Yes Alt is obsessed with the 8Os but very few people do 80s like her. Like everybody else I love the cover. It's exactly what I want from VP. Just like last month with Iselin, I want pure fashion, surprises and excitement. I love the Cris con Wagenheim inspiration and the completely over the top glamorous styling with just the right dose of tackiness. But I'm mostly happy to see a complete new face on the cover and what a face :wub:

. The last newcomer girl they used was Mica for last November, and she was way more established than Luna at the moment; that's why this cover feels fresher, cause it's riskier, and looking at the reaction of the majority, the risk was worth it.
That's true! I also remember them being the first to give the cover to Andreea D. few years ago, and she did quite a few other Vogue covers afterwards. So i have to give credit to Alt for sometimes using new faces, for the cover.

Beautiful! After last month's cover and issue it seems VP is getting into a really good groove - I hope it lasts, I used to buy Vogue Paris every month, but I've only purchased the odd issue over the past few years. I think Alt has produced some great covers in her time but not consistently and it would be great if she and her team could keep on track.

I'm definitely excited to see a full HQ of this cover and the rest of the contents.

..so now I'm nervous to see this editorial...

Same here!! David Sims is not exactly renowned for extracting the best out of a model, he works much better with a girl adept to modelling, who knows her angles. But lets see.

I love the model, her innocent pout makes the whole thing look great, it's well executed, works very well but still, it looks too literally a copy of a vintaga magazine and in this way doesn't make the impact of something creative what, for exemple, Meisel does when he does glamour.(and I love Davis Sims' work, equally to Meisel's

It's been years since the last time I was so obsessed over a fashion image... That girl is the definition of gorgeous. I just can't wait to hold it in my hands!

It's been years since the last time I was so obsessed over a fashion image... That girl is the definition of gorgeous. I just can't wait to hold it in my hands!

I'm really surprised you feel this way :lol:

But I agree, it's a great photo of a gorgeous girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brilliantmix
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->