Vogue Paris December 2010/January 2011 : Daphne Groeneveld & Tom Ford by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

:lol: I wonder why Carine hasn't gotten her hooks into Ashley Smith yet. The real Lara 2.0.
And she's a much more interesting editorial model, too.

I think Daphne looks great on this cover even if I'm not a fan of her look normally. What bothers me is how she's so über-glamourous and sexy and then there's Tom looking all random and weird in the background and it somehow clashes. I think this would have worked much better as a single girl cover since I do love the colors and the pose.

It`s such a striking cover shot. But there seems to be problems. To me it`s like Daphne was posing and Tom was just edited there at the back. Tom could`ve shown some of his face and his comeback work (dress more).

It`s an overall nice work. The new text is really working it. Could`ve been better though

Daphne!!!!:woot: Finally her cover has appeared. It's definitely not disappointing at all. That pose + the oh so sexy Mr.Ford in the back=:heart:

Now we know that the 10 rumour was right, except in the month, I guess Sophia learned of the photo session as it had barely finished... it's a good cover and I'm pleased we can only see half of Tom's face cause I can't stand looking at him at this point...

I quite like the cover, but it kind of goes against the ethos of Ford's collection, doesn't it? He said he wanted to design for (grown up) women of all ages and shapes, and the cover model is a skinny 15/16 year old simulating (sexual?) ecstasy. To me, Daphne symbolises a lot of what's wrong with fashion; namely casting young girls to play sexualised roles, when women a decade older than them should be being photographed like this. For me, the cover would have been so much better with a real, grown up woman who could believably play a role like this, someone like Daria, Guinevere or Lara.

I'm pleased we can only see half of Tom's face cause I can't stand looking at him at this point...

:lol: You took the words right out of my mouth. Especially after all the promotion he did for A Single Man. If I never read another article/interview with Tom Ford it will be too soon.

It's not only a bad cover in my opinion, Tom Ford or his designs are not even visible. All I see are big big red pouty lips.

It's so wrong to give Daphne the honour to be on this cover with Tom Ford, she hasn't even proven herself is only 15 and doesn't exactly relate to the sexiness Tom Ford is known for. Maybe Karen, Stella or some celebrity would have been boring but defenitely more deserved because the difference of leagues would not be so huge.

Come on, who can say Daphne will be able to do shows the next 3 years because she has to be in school? Who can guarantee that she will not be forgotten like so many others that were hyped just as much as she is being hyped at the moment?

But in the end it's just a cover...a bad one though if you ask me.
Excited for the content though!

I have to agree wth Marcel and rox yr sox. I agree that is to early for Daphne and they could better use a woman that is established. On the other hand, this cover screams Lara to me, so it doesn't botter me that much that she is so young (cause the cover doens't show she is that young), it botters me that she has to play sexy and a young girl isn't that sexy yet (I think) and doesn't fit Tom Fords collection. They didn't just let Daphne be in that cover who she is, but let her simulate a Lara. Daphne is so unique, if you choose a girl like Daphne, let her be Daphne this image isn't that special at all, it could have been anyone, although I do really like the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite like the cover, but it kind of goes against the ethos of Ford's collection, doesn't it? He said he wanted to design for (grown up) women of all ages and shapes, and the cover model is a skinny 15/16 year old simulating (sexual?) ecstasy. To me, Daphne symbolises a lot of what's wrong with fashion; namely casting young girls to play sexualised roles, when women a decade older than them should be being photographed like this. For me, the cover would have been so much better with a real, grown up woman who could believably play a role like this, someone like Daria, Guinevere or Lara.
True, but isn't that what all designers say? At least I've never heard one say "I design for skinny prepubescent girls that can't even afford my clothes iwithout having an indulging sugar daddy". They all claim to design for sexy and strong women.
Daphne doesn't look like a 16 year old on this cover, though.

was expecting more to be quite honest, it's a nice cover but i wanted more than this

wow. i really like it. i was expecting not to actually...

LOVE IT. Although I could live without Tom Ford's face peeking at the side.

love the cover!!reminds me a lot the 70's vogue editorials!!!fantastic...i can't wait to see the eds

Uh, I think I'm the only one who doesn't think Daphne looks like Lara Stone? :innocent:

Come on, who can say Daphne will be able to do shows the next 3 years because she has to be in school? Who can guarantee that she will not be forgotten like so many others that were hyped just as much as she is being hyped at the moment?
I agree she's not in the league of Karen or Stella, but I don't think Daphne has really been hyped - at least, my understanding of the definition. Hype would suggest undue or excessive publicity. Besides a few, hardly anyone knew who she was when she booked the Miu Miu campaign. From then on, every major designer has booked her, meaning that any type of publicity she has recieved has been warranted. Hype to me, is someone who is hailed as the next big thing, and ends up booking nothing at all noteworthy. Daphne IMO has very much delivered in her, so far, short career.

Whether or not she - or any other model for that matter - are around in 3 years, who can predict? Her management would obviously plan her to be, but, in the end, there are so many variables. But I'm sure being booked by the VP team for their cover, can't be hurting her chances :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nngocdiem
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->