Vogue Paris December 2010/January 2011 : Daphne Groeneveld & Tom Ford by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Uh, I think I'm the only one who doesn't think Daphne looks like Lara Stone? :innocent:

No you are not the only one. In my opinion I think she's meant to look like Jerry Hall, and she does.

I'm all for new models, I'm very happy to see a new face in the cover of VP, who cares if she will end up not living to people's expectations in the future, now she is.

First Reaction: Good cover.

Second Reaction: Wasn't Lara just on the cover a couple of months ago?

Third Reaction: Oh that's that Daphne girl, good move on Carine, Tom and Co.'s part pairing an unexpected model with TF. Still it was probably a calculated risk, since Daphne's doppleganger Lara is a sellable face for the magazine.

Fourth Reaction: Shoot me but while I think the cover is good, I still prefer the intense eye contact between Tom and Karen and Tom and Stella in the US Vogue pictures. I dunno, maybe its a latent reaction to all of those lurking Baptiste pictures.

AMAZING. Daphne has such a strong face, can't wait for more.

I certainly don't mind the cover - the sight of a beautiful blonde in some sort of private reverie, with Tom Ford as the mastermind behind it all.

I love the beauty styling, I don't mind Daphne, I'm not tired of Tom yet, and I wonder what delights are inside the issue.

luv luv this cover :wub: can't wait to see the eds inside

True, but isn't that what all designers say? At least I've never heard one say "I design for skinny prepubescent girls that can't even afford my clothes iwithout having an indulging sugar daddy". They all claim to design for sexy and strong women.
Daphne doesn't look like a 16 year old on this cover, though.

It's true they all say that, but Ford specifically emphasised it's importance by casting women from their late teens (Karlie) up to women in their 60s. His fashion show casting was not about having token oldies, but a complete mix, with many of his models fitting into the 20s and 30s age bracket.

He said in the Vogue US piece recently: “It’s about individuality. Real clothes, real women. For a fashionable woman aged 25 to 75." Given that he is using VP to publicise this most recent collection, you'd think Ford would have chosen women (probably models) in their 20s to appear on the cover with him. I choose to believe that Daphne was more or less forced on him or at least strongly suggested by VP.

For me, it's irrelevant whether Daphne looks 16 or not. She is still 16, and I don't think her casting was warranted as she isn't bringing anything particularly special or relevant to Tom Ford to the cover.

it´s not bad... but something is missing... is it not the double-page cover?

Honestly, I don't like it at all. I have nothing against to Daphne, I think she is lovely and unique girl, but when i see Tom, i wanna see something other next to him, not the fifteen years old girl. And there is something too much for me, if it would be a bit simpler and more natural, I could be ok with this.

I feel like this cover is indicative of what Tom Ford is saying his relationship has been with fashion. I think that Daphne is supposed to be like modern fashion, what we're looking for now. It's this fast and forgettable fashion. I think that's the reason he picked a girl who could possibly be a couple of other models, and she's young and she's never been on a magazine cover before. Most people, unless they are into fashion won't even realize who she is and just say "another model". That's what fashion has gotten reduced to.

He has himself behind her as in he's been watching this. We all know he's there, and have known he's there.. His presence is so strong that no matter who is centerstage, we are still aware of Mr. Ford's presence... but maybe I overthink things.

BTW Opening Calvin Klein, and being an exclusive... always means you're going to have a pretty good career atleast for a little while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want more Tom ! He shouldnt look like being left out like that, plus their facial expressions are so not relevant

hopefully Carine found a way to make Tom's collection look better. (A thought, hope) Maybe she got exclusivity on the best looks from his collection..I'm hoping because based on what is in Vogue US..not all that impressed

Oh and to you, Tom Ford is guest editing so I doubt Carine will be doing much. In addition the images that are supposed to run are the images Terry Richardson took at the show.

I love it. Great for Daphne.

Can't wait to see the rest.

Oh my, after a terrible year of covers, they finally step it up! This is more like it! The cover is simply epic, i love that you can only see half of his face, sort of eerie in a sexy way. Looking forward to the contents!

There is something wrong with her lips. She looks like that at 15? wow! I don't want to imagine her at 30!

It's everything I'd expect it to be. It's a pleasure to see an unexpected face, especially Daphne! The cover is terrific, I have no complaints.
I'm more interested in the 2011 calendar with Daria by Mikael Jansson. His work for Vogue Paris is always so luxe.

It was only a matter of time that she'd get a cover after her appearances in VP..it is a very striking cover.

Easily one of the most striking VP cover in some time, I'm not surprised at how much I love this, Vogue Paris never disappoints. Thrilled for Daphne, getting her first Vogue cover and on such a major publication. I'm assuming that Carine styled the cover?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterskk
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->