American Apparel #2

americanapparel.net

what do people think about these? i can't decide how i feel about them. and i've only ever seen tavi wear them

I kind of like the idea of them... but there's something not right. It looks kind of try hard & in my mind that's the opposite of what AA is about, so it doesn't really fit. I dunno though, has anyone bought them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think The Sash is worth getting?

serve.asp
serve.asp
serve.asp
serve.asp

knottedwaist.jpg
schoolbow.jpg
oversizedbow.jpg
hatbow.jpg
turban.jpg

american apparel

i think if you're going to get creative with it and wear it a lot then it could be worth getting, but from experience with AA stuff like that I would say it's a bit of a waste

it's something you could probably DIY for much cheaper

i have one of those scarves that you can wear as all the different kinds of shirts etc and i almost never wear it

Chrissy, do you mean the circular scarf? I have one and I only wear it as scarf and cape like cover up. I wanted to get it because of the versatility but I never came up with more ways top wear it.

No, I actually have the circle scarf too and get a lot of wear out of it the same way...

I'm thinking of those scarves (I don't know if they even still sell them this way, I bought it back in 2005) that were basically just a single piece of fabric with two unattached ends (like a traditional scarf), and they would play a video in the store of how you could wear it as a tube top, and as a bunch of other different incarnations of a top if you were creative, or you could wear it as a turban etc.
I think I wore it as a top once or twice but it was too much of a hassle because it constantly needed readjusting

they sold up til at least 2008. I was gonna use it as a how to in my speech class...

^^That's cute! I have a few AA stuff that I'm watching on ebay that are way cheaper than the store!

I just bought the silky shirred waist skirt in cream (doesn't come with the bow). It's super hot here and I needed a light skirt. Actually I wanted the chiffon version but they didn't have it and I didn't want to wait for it. Also, this one is a little cheaper.

pic: store.americanapparel.eu

Attachments

• AA silky skirt.jpg
    AA silky skirt.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 267
Velony - I tried the chiffon one on in store today and it's completely see through. You definitely need a slip or something underneath it.

How often do they tend to restock unavailable items?

I've got my eye on the oversized chiffon button up in white, but it's out of stock.

etceteraism, i was afraid of that. now i'm glad that i got this one instead. it's a little see through too but not too much.

Velony, I still really want the chiffon version though-mainly because I like the chiffon cobalt color a lot more than the silky peacock-colored one. I might try to find a simple black slip to wear underneath.

just bought two of the two-sided-tops in asphalt and cream because i've been told in one of their stores that they're going to stop producing them *cry*
my favourite type of summer shirt. (i got it in 4 colors...)

I've been hearing that they may have to close 1/3 of their NYC stores-they expanded WAY too quickly. Even in Vancouver we have 2 stores within walking distance of each other.

I think they'll get bought out though. They're way too big of an international presence. As someone pointed out-if Escada could be rescued, why would AA get left behind? I think AA brings in a lot more revenue and has way more stores/employees/etc than Escada.

tbh, i think aa needs to revamp their image, starting with how the clothes are presented. Sex sells yeah, but when your whole company is shrouded in nothing but sexism there is something wrong.
They also need to stop making so many useless, expensive products and think of who they are designing for. Just a COMPLETE 180 is needed for them.

i just read an article in a german newspaper this morning. it was reported that AA didn't treat their employees fairly and sometimes didn't pay them in time either. also there was supposed to be an incident with employing illegal immigrants without a work permit.

i just hope the company can be rescued. the concept is good. it just needs some brushing up here and there. just thought about how many basic items i've accumulated in the last years that i got a lot of wear out of and wouldn't want to miss.

the only item i'll miss is the viscose sexuali-tee. i only ever bought bare bone basics from there.

tbh, i think aa needs to revamp their image, starting with how the clothes are presented. Sex sells yeah, but when your whole company is shrouded in nothing but sexism there is something wrong.
They also need to stop making so many useless, expensive products and think of who they are designing for. Just a COMPLETE 180 is needed for them.

I think most people still view American Apparel as the American Apparel of 2006 rather than 2010, which is a lot of preppy and understated basics, things you could wear in an professional/office setting. A lot of what I hear from people is making fun of the neon colored and bathing suit stuff from seasons and years ago but lots of these same people have never been in the store or have not been in recently. I just wonder how they'll ever change their image/reputation or get people curious enough to check out what else they have to offer. They have had so much success with the neon/electro stuff they carried to the point of parody, which is a shame because they've some really nice stuff in that's not so loud. I do think they are trying to counter the public perception though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->