American Apparel #2

Discussion in 'Shop Till You Drop' started by aldn, Dec 20, 2009.

1. lollicandy

lollicandy New Member

Yes very European influenced look to the clothing (aside from their line of basic tees and leggings) with some prep.

2. ElleLesley

ElleLesley New Member

From the BBC

bbc.co.uk

I think people might have realized you can get the same basic tee for a lot less than one would purchase over at AA - the recession has that sort of effect. Not to mention the questionable image AA was harboring out at one time or another and the treatment of its workers - it makes a perfect news controversy.

Quite a turn of events from where they were in 2005 though, ranked as one of the fastest growing companies with revenues over $211 million dollars.

3. platinumpink

platinumpink New Member

That's the main reason why I stopped shopping there. for example, I saw a pair of trousers there that I really wanted but they were £70. If it was a store like...I dont know... Reiss?? then I would understand, but AA? Considering what they are (essentially a store for basics) I decided against it.

4. foreverandnone

foreverandnone New Member

lollicandy - their image hasn't changed...at all. I, nor any of my other friends, who have been shopping there for a while, havent noticed anything.

I only own 4 things from AA anyway.

5. Red Sole

Red Sole New Member

This is sad!!! I love AA! I have probably own 50+ of their pieces. I love their sexuali-tee and their v necks and their stan on immigration. I can't believe this!

6. Mchunu

Mchunu New Member

I love their baby rib briefs. $12 for a pair of underwear and worth every penny. They feel so good and fit so perfectly..and they just look so hot. Especially if you have a nice butt :brows:

7. foreverandnone

yeah maybe they should take a stand on sexism...

8. Mindbear

Mindbear New Member

Have you not noticed a huge change in their new season style and advertising images? They've got rid of most of the ridiculously slutty sheen heavy tiny clothing and replaced it with seersucker shirts and shorts, peter pan collars, petticoats, jodhpurs, that sort of thing. Its preppy in the extreme. Still to expensive, but I do love their hoodies as a daily comfy option, and the fact that their high waist trousers are genuinely high waisted.

9. lollicandy

lollicandy New Member

It really has. And it is coming from the top down. I have not been in the US for about a year and had not been in the store longer than that, but I saw a huge difference in the dress of the people working there and what's carried on their website. Like mindbear mentioned, there's a lot of seersucker, soft color palette, and preppier/put together items.

Redsole^^ I am sad as well. I liked that it was made in the US, and saw that they are carrying some shoes made up in Gloversville NY on their website.

#89 lollicandy, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited by moderator CoutureFashionista: Aug 20, 2010
  10. foreverandnone

I don't understand how american apparel is ~slutty~ (that's such an awful word). Sexist yes, but tiny shorts =//= "slutty".

11. Mindbear

Mindbear New Member

Where did I mention that shorts equal slutty. I am almost quoting verbatim what i've read in the press. Sexism would be the way that the women were presented in the clothes they make. If the women present themselves that way, thats not sexist is it? It's just women presenting themselves with virtually no clothes on.

12. Velony

Velony Empire State of Mind

I totally agree. It used to be very 80s inspired and had a gym class look with bright colors. Now everything is available in a softer color palette with tutus, pettycoats skirts, lace, preppy cardigans etc. I actually like their new direction.

13. foreverandnone

*facedesk*

Okay then. ^_^

14. Mindbear

Mindbear New Member

You silly sausage. It's an understanding of the word sexist you seem to not have a grip of. What i'm saying is sexism in that form is the objectification of women by dressing them up to look like sexual playthings and nothing more. If a woman dresses herself up like that and projects herself like that, thats just a lack of self respect, not sexism. Dear me.

15. brazilianbaby

brazilianbaby Member

16. Velony

Velony Empire State of Mind

i haven't seen it in our store in a while. but maybe other stores do still carry it?

17. scara

scara New Member

18. iluvaar

iluvaar New Member

I would never buy AA from the Sydney store coz its too expensive, but my trip out to LA, I went to the Camarillo shopping outlet, where they had an AA store, and I scored some black high waisted pants. They were, I think $55, but they had 50% discount when I was there, so I got them at a pretty good price. So happy w/ my purchase

19. Jenna-maria

Jenna-maria New Member

does anyone own this dress?
    or tried it? i would love to hear opinions :flower:

Fine Jersey Racerback Tank Dress

[​IMG]

americanapparell.net

20. rockyraccoon91

rockyraccoon91 New Member

Apparently they discontinued this dress but I do see it frequently pop up on eBay.

And to be honest, I had this dress for a while before I sold it because the quality just wasn't that great. The fabric was extremely thin and the stripes felt almost just painted on to the fabric. :yuk: