Christian Dior HC S/S 08 Paris

00670m.jpg
00680m.jpg

00690m.jpg
00700m.jpg

00710m.jpg
00720m.jpg

Source: Style.com

Effortlessly picking the best Led Zeppelin-song...I'd love to hear more of the soundtrack :wink:

These are some of the paintings by Gustav Klimt that most likely were the inspiratio for some of the dresses in the collection.

sources:artknowledgenews.com
commons.wikimedia.org
www-users.cs.umn.edu

Attachments

• beer_klimt.jpg
    beer_klimt.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 9
  • GustavKlimtAdeleBlochBauer.jpg
    GustavKlimtAdeleBlochBauer.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 497px-Gustav_Klimt_017.jpg
    497px-Gustav_Klimt_017.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 5
  • death.jpeg
    death.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for posting the collection and videos/articles
They're excellent :P

Always quite expected to see embroidery and all the ornamentation at Haute Couture week
I was feeling perhaps they should try something else
although now seeing the closeups,
they are certainly using a lot of unusual material... some things for the hats or bodice look like turtle shells

The only thing troubling me is the colour
If fine art was his inspiration I would hope they would be less harsh to the eyes
I mean it does look like everything is made of plastique
just because of the colour

:ninja:

Source | International Herald Tribune

Dior: Vivid colors to banish doom and gloom
By Suzy Menkes
Monday, January 21, 2008

PARIS: 'The colors! The lightness! The embroidery! It was magical," said the actress Diane Kruger backstage at the Dior show on Monday. Like everyone from the burlesque artist Dita Von Teese to John Galliano himself in his Henry VIII hat, Kruger was in the chic black that dominated the audience as the Paris haute couture season opened.

If the set of limpid water surrounded by silken boudoirs looked like a sensual spa in your Freudian dreams, the show itself was a multicolored, multifaceted, super-size-me tonic. It wasn't Galliano's most emotionally moving presentation nor his most daring, but it had a mesmerizing combination of puffy-light silhouette with intense decoration.

"Haute couture is the place for dreams," said Galliano, referring to the architecture and the lightness of clothes that - even when a suit was relatively severe - would have a jacket that ballooned out at the spine. Add fuchsia, chartreuse, canary yellow, leopard print and embroidery that winked like the gilded plaques of a Gustav Klimt painting, and you had a rich and rare combination of color and pattern.

As the models did their usual Galliano teeter on weird platform shoes, batting fluorescent feathered eyelashes at the eager photographers, you might have thought that the designer had been doing his research at the historical erotica exhibition on display in Paris rather than merely channeling the subtle sensuality of the John Singer Sargent portrait of "Madame X" that he named in his program notes.

Whatever the references, Galliano's vision at Dior is to click on an image from the past but drag it like a screen icon into his world. However wide and swooshing the dress (and that could mean with a short or a floor-sweeping hemline), its shape seemed to grow out of a 21st-century body. If there were giant roses bursting from the hem of a purple dress, the bodice was sinuous and fitted. A cocktail dress would swell, Poiret-style, at the hips, but the rest of the yellow satin would be restrained as a sheath.

The designer has learned so much technically in his decade at Dior - not least how to take a full-backed coat or a grand gown from the Christian Dior archives and produce it as a weightless cupola.

Didn't the embroidery weigh things down a bit? A single dress with a print that looked more pop art than classical could have been the start of something fresh and intriguing. But once that look melted into the Klimt embroideries, with all their russet richness and metallic glimmer (hairdos included), the show just rolled on along as a visual treat.

And it seems that excess can equal success.

Bernard Arnault, chairman and chief executive of LVMH Mo�t Hennessy Louis Vuitton, said that couture was having a golden moment at Dior, partly thanks to emerging luxury markets like Moscow.

Sidney Toledano, president and chief executive of Christian Dior Couture, said that, overall, couture figures were up 35 percent in 2007 from the previous year, with new money from across the globe discovering high fashion. The markets may have plunged about 7 percent while all this gorgeous glamour was walking the runway, but high fashion, it seems, is coloring over the gloom and doom and turning a financial crisis into a crescendo of opulence.

Definitely good collection. It's much better than the last one. I love the colours and shapes. I see lots of thinks reminds me HC s/s 2004 show inspired by Egipt (make-up, earrings, some dresses looks so familiar) and of course we can see his inpiration of Japan and the Far East (new kind of Japan/future hats). I love it. And it's good to see Alek Wek again. :smile:

God...I just wish he would go back to the mirrored runway.:innocent: The mirrored runway had the magical effect of making EVERYTHING shown on it look expensive and super glamorous...these sets he's been using since SS 07 look kind of cheap and in a way, make the clothes look a little cheaper than they really should look....because Lord knows, there clothes ARE NOT CHEAP!!!:lol:

that's SO true, I actually caught myself considering some pieces as ugly just because of the set :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
us4848
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->