Gucci F/W 08.09 Milan

spike you have beat me to making an excellent point! karma! :flower:

what you have said is very true, gucci no longer has any identity. last f/w girl will not buy this season. gucci has a different type of costumer now. and is that what gucci truly wants? i hope not. theres a difference between catering to everyone, and just being inconsistent and random.

I love this skirt!:heart::blush: But else i agree, my first impression after seeing everting was ... Cavalli?
00330m1195.jpg

style

also my personal thoughts on the collection is that its sloppy, and reminds me of anna sui.

^ and that outfit is the only one i really like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the collection looks fabulous, but definitely reminiscent of previous shows.

I can definitely see Cavalli...I really don't like this collection at all. I feel bad saying that too!!

i agree with some of the other replies... sort of olsen-twins-ish from 2-3 years ago

Why must of you keep comparing her collection with others? do you really think someone under Gucci is sitting thinking "oh I loved what cavalli did a few seasons ago let's do the same for Gucci oh but totally inspired in the olsen twins of course" many of you still don't understand how HIGH fashion designers get their inspirations from right? study how all this work then if I'm wrong go and say "She/He copied this X designer

I've liked all Frida's collections I like this one even though it's not her best, the sunglasses are great, love the shoes, those patent boots are also great didn't liked the others, I wouldn't wear those bags though but overall there are some good pieces

at least Frida doesn't do the same season after season they're all different but they don't miss the Gucci thing

...meh. all at once i think its a lil much but i think separated pieces wouldnt be too bad. its just so theme-y.

gucci has an identity crisis.

Why must of you keep comparing her collection with others? do you really think someone under Gucci is sitting thinking "oh I loved what cavalli did a few seasons ago let's do the same for Gucci oh but totally inspired in the olsen twins of course" many of you still don't understand how HIGH fashion designers get their inspirations from right? study how all this work then if I'm wrong go and say "She/He copied this X designer

I've liked all Frida's collections I like this one even though it's not her best, the sunglasses are great, love the shoes, those patent boots are also great didn't liked the others, I wouldn't wear those bags though but overall there are some good pieces

at least Frida doesn't do the same season after season they're all different but they don't miss the Gucci thing
That's part of fashion, plain and simple.

I doubt if Frida was consciously channeling anyone else in terms of design, and that's the scary thing. She's just so unimaginative, and not at all individual in her approach that comparisons to other designers are inevitable. Either that or her team really is looking at past collections, which is not such a stretch. There are plenty of designers at every level who look to other designers for "inspiration". Besides, she hasn't yet defined her Gucci image, so it's not surprising that people see other designers in her collections. People aren't just pulling the comparisons out of thin air. They're there, whether she intended them to be or not.

It's not that she is out there copying Balenciaga, Cavalli, Sui, blatantly. It's more frustrating cause she's going after a look thats already tried and tested . There is no real risk here, so of course this collection looks good. Lets not forget that the new CEO came from and frozen foods company, so the drive behind Gucci is now purely for money and not for a love of design and brand identity. I think that Frida knows that she has to preform financially first and esthetically second. Sales have gone up steadly since these two took over.

Don't dig the tassles on the boots, but these outfits are awesome, love elegant goths.

Well, perhaps you need to consider that much fashion today is a business, not an art. Time did an article a couple years ago elaborating on the new power shift in fashion from designers to the CEO's. It basically said that the men on top have complete say, creative direction is given to designers (Galliano was specifically mentioned here, and it is evident in his recent collections).

Considering this, I don't find it particularly hard to believe that Mark Lee and the rest of the idiots that are running Gucci today would commission Frida to design with the Olsens or Balenciaga in mind. It would be a smart decision, financially and while I could be totally wrong, it's certainly a valid possibility.

Frida doesn't even answer many her own interview questions, she hardly seems capable of finding her own inspiration. :innocent::lol:

It's not that she is out there copying Balenciaga, Cavalli, Sui, blatantly. It's more frustrating cause she's going after a look thats already tried and tested . There is no real risk here, so of course this collection looks good. Lets not forget that the new CEO came from and frozen foods company, so the drive behind Gucci is now purely for money and not for a love of design and brand identity. I think that Frida knows that she has to preform financially first and esthetically second. Sales have gone up steadly since these two took over.

Gucci is reaping the benefits of Tom Fords legacy and thats a fact ,most everyday people still think he is still designing believe it or not! Tom Ford brought Gucci out of bankruptcy and set the ship sailing , Frida is just riding it but her designs are not bad , they are saleable but as I said , the artistic element in gucci has all but disappeared its just a bastardization of other past designers work in a more blunt way.

Well, perhaps you need to consider that much fashion today is a business, not an art. Time did an article a couple years ago elaborating on the new power shift in fashion from designers to the CEO's. It basically said that the men on top have complete say, creative direction is given to designers (Galliano was specifically mentioned here, and it is evident in his recent collections).

Considering this, I don't find it particularly hard to believe that Mark Lee and the rest of the idiots that are running Gucci today would commission Frida to design with the Olsens or Balenciaga in mind. It would be a smart decision, financially and while I could be totally wrong, it's certainly a valid possibility.

Frida doesn't even answer many her own interview questions, she hardly seems capable of finding her own inspiration. :innocent::lol:

your so right dutty rock .....even catryn horyn touched on this in her article and im sure she is going pan her collection

Whoa, I like it. Very bohemian and the accessories are nice.

This collection is going to SELL!!! I predict every actress from here to Asia appearing in this collection.

Totally agree with the Cavalli comparisons. But to be honest, Frida is doing Cavalli better than he does.

I wonder how many stereotypical tacky italian brands Milan needs?

Frida really hasn't established her version of the Gucci woman, which bugs me, because she has certainly had the time to do so. The woman that this collection represents wouldn't have touched S/S 08 with a 39.5 ft. pole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marrefoto
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->