Gucci S/S 08 Milan

^^^^ you get them by the truck loads at hot topic...lol...

I completely disagree with that.Ferre's designs were like architecture imo, Ford's were just unimaginative.
Anyway,I know a lot of people like Ford but I will always beg to differ:P

Ferre, yes, was architectural a bit more. What I mean by architectural is in that his designs were structured and constructed with such detail and they were solid. The luxury was in the details.

And I'm not saying pieces have to be ridden with seams, studs, buttons, and bobs. Look at Jil Sander.....quite minimal, but yet it has a luxurious feel to it. Obviously, someone was actually being creative there unlike Frida. :innocent:

Well, in fact it's not all her design in terms of ready-to-wear, but Yvan Mispaleare, who was once doing his own line as well as being head of Phoebe Philo's team at Chloe when he closed down his own business.

It's not particularly bad clothing, it's just an entirely different aesthetic than the one Tom Ford has had (and that Alessandra Facchinetti probably executed in terms of clothing). It's probably not a lot different from Hedi Slimane being succeeded by Kris Van Assche, since both designers actually founded a ready to wear identity for the houses they designed for, as neither Gucci nor Dior had a 'heritage' to draw from.

Gucci is somewhat of a dirty job since it was evident that the ready to wear sector was not a priority when they eventually kicked out Alessandra Facchinetti and John Ray to not risk losing Frida Giannini, who's accessories collections were turning a lot more profits for the house than the sales of RTW. The average customer at Gucci is probably not one that is an educated fashion follower... It probably hasn't even been when Tom Ford was around... it's the kind of average or badly dressed tourists, mostly of Near Eastern or Asian origin, that are accessorizing their Gap and Banana Republic gear (or worse) with a mid-prized, logo-canvas bag or wallet. These customers couldn't care less what's eventually been shown on the catwalk, and therefor I believe that the brand is still benefiting from the fashion-forward reputation that Tom Ford helped to establish for the house.

A slight improvement imo.LOVE the short dresses and skirts with jackets,but hate every single full lenght dress and pants.The shoes have perfect heel,but they fail to impress overall just like this whole collection.

i love te mix of flannel/gingham, obsessed over natasha poly, and her look!

In my personal opinion, I find that what's been shown here in terms of ready to wear is what is a reflection of time and of the way people actually dress... times have changed, the way women are dressing have changed since Tom Ford has resigned from Gucci.

Brands like Marni and Chloe, as well as Skandinavian fashion, have by now influenced even the most trend-resistant fahsion follower... there's noone but maybe some celebrities that would be dressing in a glamorous, sexy Studio 54 kind of fashion, the way Tom Ford did it... I think the mood and the attitude is a little less uptight than it used to be. It's probably more about quirk than sex appeal.

Well, in fact it's not all her design in terms of ready-to-wear, but Yvan Mispaleare, who was once doing his own line as well as being head of Phoebe Philo's team at Chloe when he closed down his own business.

It's not particularly bad clothing, it's just an entirely different aesthetic than the one Tom Ford has had (and that Alessandra Facchinetti probably executed in terms of clothing). It's probably not a lot different from Hedi Slimane being succeeded by Kris Van Assche, since both designers actually founded a ready to wear identity for the houses they designed for, as neither Gucci nor Dior had a 'heritage' to draw from.

Gucci is somewhat of a dirty job since it was evident that the ready to wear sector was not a priority when they eventually kicked out Alessandra Facchinetti and John Ray to not risk losing Frida Giannini, who's accessories collections were turning a lot more profits for the house than the sales of RTW. The average customer at Gucci is probably not one that is an educated fashion follower... It probably hasn't even been when Tom Ford was around... it's the kind of average or badly dressed tourists, mostly of Near Eastern or Asian origin, that are accessorizing their Gap and Banana Republic gear (or worse) with a mid-prized, logo-canvas bag or wallet. These customers couldn't care less what's eventually been shown on the catwalk, and therefor I believe that the brand is still benefiting from the fashion-forward reputation that Tom Ford helped to establish for the house.

hahahah i disagree , well japanese and other asiatic people know their brands and know what good quality is lol. I was in dubai , nobody wears gap or banana republic there . Lots of them wear designer stuff. In any case , tom fords reputation for gucci can only last that much long . After that frida is on her own. Lot of the bags shown here dont have that it quality about them. Mind you the fashion world has become more competitive , you have a lot of designers churning out quality products at cheaper prices than gucci , so everything changes fast. The same gucci in the 70s , renowned for glamour was a synonym for cheapness in the 80s , only in the 90s did ford ressurect it. What Frida is doing is tackifiying it. While the clothes might not be bad but compared to the steller collections coming out of milan this season , Gucci is a total washout, that too a brazen copy of other designers work.

hahahah i disagree , well japanese and other asiatic people know their brands and know what good quality is lol. I was in dubai , nobody wears gap or banana republic there . Lots of them wear designer stuff. In any case , tom fords reputation for gucci can only last that much long . After that frida is on her own. Lot of the bags shown here dont have that it quality about them. Mind you the fashion world has become more competitive , you have a lot of designers churning out quality products at cheaper prices than gucci , so everything changes fast. The same gucci in the 70s , renowned for glamour was a synonym for cheapness in the 80s , only in the 90s did ford ressurect it. What Frida is doing is tackifiying it. While the clothes might not be bad but compared to the steller collections coming out of milan this season , Gucci is a total washout, that too a brazen copy of other designers work.

It's simply not correct to believe that the majority of luxury goods shoppers are in fact devoted fashion followers... most of them, WHATEVER their origin, are shopping for leather goods, accessories and maybe shoes... that's what the reality is like. I bet some of these people don't even know if it's indeed Marc Jacobs, Tom Ford or whoever else is designing for the houses they are buying their designer merchandise from... Then you may have a couple contemporary brands that people turn towards for maybe a pair of designer denim and the inevitable knits and jerseys... that's what the reality is like on the street, only very few of these big houses actually turn their profit with RTW... that's a given, and it's undeniable when you look into the figures that conglomerates like LVMH or Gucci group or any other big company is issueing.

it just isnt the same.

i agree with the comment that said that these outfits/pieces could be put together from high street stores, not nearly the same amount of detail that was a given with gucci collections when tom designed, but this is coming from a tom ford fan, so i may be biased.

that being said, the shoes/clutches are good...except for that awful indy bag.

also, HATE the new logo.

from french herald tribune

But the designer's energetic attempt to turn rock chick into rock chic just didn't happen - for all the luxurious elements of a collection in which bomber jackets were made of superb skins and even the high-rise patent leather shoes seemed to have a gilded crown under the instep.
"Thank heaven for Gucci" will surely be the rallying cry from Victoria Beckham, Paris Hilton and other "It" girls for whom bubble gum pink is sweet as candy. Add for this season a bumble bee coloring of yellow and black and short, full skirts instead of styles hugging the rear.
But pert party dresses and 1960s graphics of a black-and-white checkerboard for a rich rocker look just seem so passé, as fashion moves forward from girly to grown-up. The adult content of the show was in the full-skirted evening gowns, the fabric spreading from a cinching belt and decorated with yellow florals. The soundtrack of "Strangers in the Night" reinforced the feeling that the dresses would be better for a provincial benefit than on the competitive red carpet.
Multimedia

dot_h.gif

Photographs
Suzy Menkes on the Milan shows
» View

dot_h.gif

Today in Style & Design

dot_h.gif

Gucci: Rock chick but not rock chic

dot_h.gif

Techno/tribal at Marni,Pollini

dot_h.gif

Roberto Cavalli's Belle Époque and Antonio Marras's Art Nouveau

dot_h.gif

Giannini doesn't exactly do anything wrong in her designs.

well since they're stuck uploading the rest of the collection...

00110m%281278%29.jpg
00130m%281269%29.jpg

00200m%281236%29.jpg
00210m%281207%29.jpg

00240m%281165%29.jpg
00290m%281068%29.jpg

Source: Style.it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member