Lanvin S/S 09 Paris

What I find strange in this, is there is practically any craftsmanship in the pieces. Last season with its ribbons and elaborate detailing was truly DNA Alber for Lanvin.

But this; luxurious? The necklaces were made out of PLASTIC!! And the jewels/animal prints on the dresses looks really cheap and tacky a la Dior at its worst.
:unsure: are you sure it's plastic? do we have any info on that?.. cause I just looked at a closeup and it didn't look like plastic to me.. it looks.. stronger?, but what do I know. :ninja:

I think the pieces are perfectly structured and the details seem impeccable, especially at the beginning, I still don't know what to make of the collection myself, it's hardly appealing but then I find a good number of pieces that bring something different and maybe even challenging for this season trend-wise, despite the abundance of F/W 06.07 and F/W 07.08 elements, which were unnecessary for me, especially the round shoulders.. Alber was one of the first designers that revived that recently, he should leave late takes to Marc, the new girl at Chloé or Kane.. but anyway, it's far from bad.. the second half of the show is almost hard to see, the execution more than anything but each individual pieces is exquisite, he might be on to something piling them all together for the finale instead of blending them in with the first half.. visual purposes only, I suppose?.

I saw Alber made a bit revise on the shoulder silhouettes of some dresses, it's getting close to cocoon.
This is a nice change to me.

I like it a lot. Love the shapes and the mix of colors is really interesting. The necklaces are stunning. Very good and wearable collection. Much better than fall collection.

Most of the pieces look like the last FW08-09 collection... but they're great though !

As a huge Lanvin devotee, I hate to say it, but I'm kind of disappointed by this collection. The last two(08SS,FW)collections have been heavenly, especially the FW collection was an embodiment of what Alber is best at....old school 50's glamour. 07FW collection wasn't my favorite, but at least it was original. Aside from some hideous leopard prints and colorful flower sequins, each piece is beautiful but lacked the "wow" factor that Alber has been delivering in the past few seasons. Much better than the 07SS collection IMO, as this collection showed some gorgeous, deceptively simple pieces that are true what Lanvin is all about, nonetheless desappointment after such strong collections(08SS and FW).

This is however not to say that I wouldn't buy anything from this season, but certainly it will be paired down in comparison to the 08FW collection.

Lanvin: Juicy color

"Women will buy something they can't resist - you have to give them the dream," said the Lanvin designer Alber Elbaz, joking that, with banks crumbling, a dress looked like a good investment.

The end of his show created that jolt of desire in its vivid mixes of sweet, but never sugary colors, and its introduction of playful animal prints, bold sunglasses and crystal glitter shoes.

But, like Paris Fashion Week itself, Lanvin left the best until last. The show built up slowly from tweaks to the familiar shadow-the-body silhouette. A dress would break into a round shape with a single puffed-up sleeve or with a draped skirt, the shapes always carefully measured so that slim pants would balance a fuller top.

From the start, Elbaz was underscoring the codes of the house, from visible zippers to jewelry perfectly toned to the cloth at the breast. The clothes were gentle, enhanced the wearer and with the addition of pretty colors like yellow and sky blue, they will be snapped up by Lanvin fans.

But the designer suddenly broke out, as outfits were rendered in juicy mixes of coral and raspberry or cranberry with puce. The feline prints came out on slinky dresses and everything seemed to get more vital, as if the colors were digitally enhanced to dramatic effect. Although he was slow to move forward, Elbaz was right to build up to a crescendo, leaving the audience cheering at the delicate Lanvin mix of consistency and courage.

iht.com // suzy menkes

:woot:SHE IS TOO SOFT ...................
"Women will buy something they can't resist - you have to give them the dream," said the Lanvin designer Alber Elbaz, joking that, with banks crumbling, a dress looked like a good investment.

The end of his show created that jolt of desire in its vivid mixes of sweet, but never sugary colors, and its introduction of playful animal prints, bold sunglasses and crystal glitter shoes.

But, like Paris Fashion Week itself, Lanvin left the best until last. The show built up slowly from tweaks to the familiar shadow-the-body silhouette. A dress would break into a round shape with a single puffed-up sleeve or with a draped skirt, the shapes always carefully measured so that slim pants would balance a fuller top.

From the start, Elbaz was underscoring the codes of the house, from visible zippers to jewelry perfectly toned to the cloth at the breast. The clothes were gentle, enhanced the wearer and with the addition of pretty colors like yellow and sky blue, they will be snapped up by Lanvin fans.

But the designer suddenly broke out, as outfits were rendered in juicy mixes of coral and raspberry or cranberry with puce. The feline prints came out on slinky dresses and everything seemed to get more vital, as if the colors were digitally enhanced to dramatic effect. Although he was slow to move forward, Elbaz was right to build up to a crescendo, leaving the audience cheering at the delicate Lanvin mix of consistency and courage.

iht.com // suzy menkes

its ok in parts but the leopard prints and those fuscia pants ,actually all 7/8 pants with the puffy crotch leave a bad taste.

Everyone hates the leopard prints but I think they're fun and have a feeling it will be in a lot of upcoming eds.

I honestly can't believe people are swooning over this.

What I find strange in this, is there is practically any craftsmanship in the pieces. Last season with its ribbons and elaborate detailing was truly DNA Alber for Lanvin.

But this; luxurious? The necklaces were made out of PLASTIC!! And the jewels/animal prints on the dresses looks really cheap and tacky a la Dior at its worst.

I see a diffused Dior by Galliano with most of the color choices - and it doesn't work. This was totally a faux-pas collection for me. I can't believe its Lanvin!!!

Tell. Me. About. It. Right. Now.

I'm still trying to understand this equation:

Leopard print + Plastic = Lanvin par Alber Elbaz

Can somebody explain it to me?

It's stunning, wearable and beautifully made...as usual...but this contains ideas from like 3 or 4 recent Lanvin collections and the difference is that in those collections he focused on one thing while here he doesn't seem to have focused on anything. It lacks the thought that most of his collections have, because even when he hasn't done anything particularly new he does manage to make a point.

This doesn't.

Agree, it's really random ... but I do love the shoes, more than ever before, and I do quite like many of the reworks of previous ideas, some more than the originals. There's a new flattened (and widened) shoulder silhouette in some of the looks, and of course evolution of some of his previous ideas.

I'm seeing this as an attempt to be more commercial in the midst of a tanking economy ...

Some of the frills and flourishes, esp the multicolor ones, seem to represent something new. The one-shouldered looks are quite beautiful.

I think this is more geared to the actual wearing/buying audience than the audience that would like to see a coherent spectacle. It's kind of like an expanded resort collection or a greatest hits release ... :innocent: And I don't have a problem with that ... but hope it doesn't become a habit.

gorgeous collection but alot of it seems the same. many of the looks look identical or almost the same to other looks from past lanvin collections from him. But it's beautiful though. and the shoes....WOW!!! loved the sequined dress amanda laine had.....GORGEOUS!!!

I always love it how Alber cuts the clothes so that they always look flattering; even if they are the few odd shapes, the shapes always turn out 'even' in its own way. I didn't associate leopoard prints with Lanvin either, (yes, more reminiscent of Dior) but who said he couldn't experiment? I don't think its terrible that he decide to experiment with plastic either, he's a designer; his job is to be creative and think 'outside' the confinements of a box. The shoes are beautiful (as always)- wouldn't you just love to own a pair? :crush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fabs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->