US Vogue November 2011 : Rooney Mara by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

A new person on the cover and they pick her. Interesting. I haven't seen her in anything but she looks fantastic on the cover. Glad she has eybrows

thank god, it's not MARIO TESTINO taking the cover! he bores me to death.

Finally, a non-over-photoshopped photo from Mert & Marcus. She looks beautiful, but it's a bit cliche and obvious of them to put her in a dress with a dragon on it just to relate to her movie. I know they're promoting a movie, but do they have to be so obvious with their intentions (Michelle Williams as Marilyn)?

Anyways, I think they ruined it with the excessive amount of text. They just couldn't give the image some air.

As much as I was dreading this cover, it's surprisingly great. I was expecting something far more obnoxious and pretentious, given the nature of the movie, but this is lovely. It's a shame though that such a chic photograph gets nearly overshadowed by all the text.

Shame about the inside content though. Karlie, Arizona, Caroline. It couldn't be any more predictable.

I love it. I'm surprised that she has gotten a cover already.. When is the last time Vogue put someone so unknown on the cover? And Mert & Marcus! Thank goodness. Imagine what Testino would have done with her. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Gorgeous cover! Very striking. I had to do a double take when I saw Rooney's name though, because I wasn't expecting that. She hasn't really proven herself as an actress yet, but it's still nice to see Girl With the Dragon Tattoo already getting some early promotion. :smile:

Also, US Vogue seems to really be into using the theme of the movie in the photoshoot this year.
This is the third cover they've done it with.

that picture is stunning of her... the review sounds lackluster but i will wait for actual images

Rooney looks really nice on that cover... a lot better than on the film poster :ninja:
and concerning Emma Stone... I guess they are waiting 'till the Spider-Man film release to put her on the cover, that makes sense to me

getting a Vogue cover for her breakthrough role seems so extreme. Has that ever happened before? Why has Wintour taken a sudden interest in her?

i'm guessing its because the books have such a big built in audience? i mean, i'm willing to bet 8 out of ten people who buy this won't buy it because they are interested in "rooney mara- the next big movie star", they will buy it because its the portrayal of the heroine of a hugely popular series.

^Yeah, it's the role itself. Remember the movie is still sight unseen. For all we know, she could give a terrible performance and never be heard from again. But the project on paper sounds like a sure way to stardom. There was a bloodbath in Hollywood among young actress for it and be it not Rooney but any other starlet in that role, she'd probably be on this cover instead. Remember the role even got Rooney that W cover a year ago. I've never read the books so I have no clue why the whole thing is so hyped up, but I guess I'm in the minority on that.

Thank you for the review, surrealseven. I'm really looking forward to all the editorials. The content seems pretty good to me.

Love the cover, though I don't see M&M's style on it.
The eds sound very promising. Thanks for the review, surreal7.

I expected an overwhelmingly positive reaction to this cover. I'm glad standards never lower with US Vogue but it's difficult for me to not be thankful for this cover and star. As expected as Rooney is, I am bored of Emma Stone and bored of the "who deserves a cover" conversation (which is one I engaged in often), so I simply want to enjoy this lovely cover. While Rooney looks less attractive than I've seen her before, the overall composition and styling of the cover is fantastic! Hopefully the eds are too!

everybody is talking about her breakthrough performance in Girl with the dragon tattoo. But don´t forget on Social Network! Woman who changed life of Mark Zuckerberg forever deserves to be on the cover of american Vogue :P
btw. like the cover... but there are too much words on

it's a nice cover compare with others cover of us vogue

I mean, getting a Vogue cover for her breakthrough role seems so extreme. Has that ever happened before? Why has Wintour taken a sudden interest in her?

I guess what I'm saying is, this girl could easily be all hype and no substance.

I think Rooney and her sister Kate have the pedigree Anna likes. They are trust-fund kids from a wealthy family that owns two American Football franchises. I suspect even if TGWTDT ends up sucking we'll be seeing more of Rooney in Vogue just for her pedigree alone.

I do wish Anna would give Vogue covers to people who have "happened" already into star status and stop trying to force starlets to happen by giving them a premature Vogue cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
loladonna said:
I do wish Anna would give Vogue covers to people who have "happened" already into star status and stop trying to force starlets to happen by giving them a premature Vogue cover.

uhhhhh....

You do realize that the vast majority of women who are on the cover of Vogue have already happened, don't you? Her putting a newbie on the cover is very rare. It's usually just the same very A-list, Oscar-winning type actresses. Blanchett, Jolie, Kidman, etc. as well as actresses who are just incredibly famous, like Aniston and SJP. Her putting Rooney on the cover so early in her career is a total exception to the rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->