US Vogue September 2012 : Lady Gaga by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

I guess this is where the phrase Expectations lead to disappointment comes in. After seeing some of the editorials and some special features to coincide with the anniversary, I think I can conclude that this issue is underwhelming. There's nothing really to be excited about or whatsoever except that it's the biggest issue ever and the fact that it's their 120th Anniversary so everyone should have a copy of their own. The only decent editorial would have to be Stella's by Testino. I thought Karen's editorial by Klein would be amazing but honestly, it isn't. It looks too forced.

Now I'm thinking if I should get this issue using my own money or if I should just ask my sister to get me a copy of this one using her's. :lol:

I'm sort of left somewhat underwhelmed with this issue, one wouldn't have thought so with there being pages of posts in this thread. I don't know, it's like having the beginner and desert just without the main course. I think cottonmouth13 pretty much sums up how I feel, Stella's editorial is decent and I like some of the other pictures included but it's just not enough for my liking considering this issue has over 900 pages. I'm sure it'll look better once I have this in my hands though. US Vogue have published better editorials this year in their other issues in my opinion so why they couldn't do this again for their supposedly big September issue is sort of questionable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, when I see the issue, I'll have a better sense of how everything flows from start to finish, but I have to say, at the moment, I'm not particularly excited by anything I've seen. I'm sure it's all solid work, but I haven't seen anything momentous.

This is flying of the shelves at the supermarket. I saw them putting the magazine out on Tuesday and when I went to the store again four days later, there were only two left and they looked damaged. I'm guessing 30+ issues sold. At a single grocery store in Upstate NY. Good thing I snagged three of them on Tuesday. Haha

^Same here! I went to Barnes & Nobel on Friday (in the Upstate NY area too) and I got the last issue they had in the store. When I saw the magazine I snatched it up because I was fearful that someone would come up and take it when I wasn't looking. My sister looked at me like I was crazy because I was so excited to be holding it in my hands (she just doesn't get it)! :lol: I wouldn't doubt if it becomes one of the best selling issues of American Vogue, ever.

As for the content, I'm about half way through it now, and it seems like a pretty good issue. I've looked at The Custom of The Country editorial online and in print and it truly is a masterpiece. Absolutely stunning. Plus, I love that Vogue seems to be great fans of James Corden too, cause they had a little article on him a few months ago, and now they have him playing Teddy Roosevelt in this editorial. It's fantastic really.

I was so surprised to read about Miuccia Prada's collaboration with Baz Lurhmann for The Great Gatsy (they still had it listed as a December release. Oops). But that was probably because I just didn't put two and two together when I saw Carey Mulligan in an obvious spring/summer 2010 chandelier dress on set in Vanity Fair months ago. I just figured Catherine Martin decided to dip into the Prada archive for a few costumes.

And I didn't know that Prada outfitted at least one costume for Leonardo DiCaprio in Romeo + Juliet. Baz & Prada originally seemed to me like an unlikely combination, but the sketches in this issue made the 20s references in Prada's clothes so obvious. 3D and dreaded reshoots aside, I'm looking forward to the film for the costumes at least.

Hair: Luigi Murenu for John Frieda
Makeup: Lucia Pieroni for Clé de Peau Beauté
Produced by: Libi Molnar for North Six
Photographed by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott

vogue.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont get why she looks sleepy in every shot. I mean she had so much energy in the video...

If only she'd managed to not look half asleep in most of the shots...It would've been pretty decent.

I don't like any of it, maybe except the 4th photo.
I'm still a bit dissappointed, mostly because I didn't like Testino shoot for March issue and I was sure that M&M would do magic with her, considering the fact she's so photogenic and they can do so well in whatever they do. but this I don't like, it's just plain boring and dull.

The last shot is just shocking, the hair with that dress? Seriously! But about her looking sedated, i think that is not her fault, it must be what they wanted of her, she looked lively in the video. The spread is not good enough for Sept cover ed, even if its a celeb!

It almost looks like they wanted to recreate some of Meisel portraits he has done in the past, it just didnt work here.

her facial expressions are so dopey, I am laughing out loud!

It's Gaga trying to act the supermodel face.

The last shot is just shocking, the hair with that dress? Seriously! But about her looking sedated, i think that is not her fault, it must be what they wanted of her, she looked lively in the video. The spread is not good enough for Sept cover ed, even if its a celeb!

It almost looks like they wanted to recreate some of Meisel portraits he has done in the past, it just didnt work here.
Indeed! Very wannabe Meisel.

Her Brilliant Career
Photographer: David Sims
Model: Karlie Kloss
Fashion Editor: Grace Coddington
Hair: Guido
Make-Up: Diane Kendal

vogue.com

Maybe she's going for the Kate Moss look(she's not 100% there though). I expected something completely different from what I saw in the video but I can't say I don't like these.

got my copy today, it is really thick and heavy!
didn't have time to even run through it, but the cover looks quite nice in print.
one thing that bothers me though, is it just here or this issue comes with mat thin paper cover instead of usual glossy one?
I'm also quite surprised by VOGUE 120 editorial, I'd imagine all of these beautiful pictures would be presented in full, two-pages for each. shame.

^ It's weird isn't it? I'm sure last years September issue came in glossy and matt in the UK. A bit odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->